IGNORED

The Once A Year Takeover Rumour

Hypothetically speaking, unless I'm wrong, Kenwright owns around a quarter of the shares. What is for sale? Just his shares, or everybody's shares? If his shares were worth 30 million, surely that then makes the club worth £120m at the time of purchase. If it sells for £150m, is that not only a profit of 5 million for Kenwright? I can understand it if it's only his 25% for sale, and he wants £150m, but that isn't the case, is it?

Yeah, see your point.. I think a few are being a little unfair with BK. Maybe one or two (blue union) are targeting the wrong board member. Kenwright has never come across as a shark, he took the reigns when no other would and he has invested his own money unlike others.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he can act alone, sort of....

The problem with a hostile takeover, where a buyer accumulates shares 'on the sly' or picking off the shares one by one is that they won't get to see the full picture of the club and carry out due diligence, which would be one hell of a risk with Everton (in fact, it's a risk with any club, to say the least).

With a friendly takeover, they'll get to see the real deal about Everton.

Sadly, in a typical hostile takeover, the board will say "no, we aren't selling" and therefore the buyer will go directly to each and every shareholder and ask them directly if they'd like to sell (which they are at liberty to do).

In the case of Everton, the board ARE the major shareholders, so if the board unanimously says no, there's nowhere left for the buyer to go. However, it only takes one board member (or more technically, major shareholder) to not agree with this, and they can decide to sell their shares to the buyer, and those give the buyer a foothold into the company.

If the percentage of shares 'grabbed' is large enough... they can start influencing the boardroom and slowly break it apart (otherwise, they'll be ostracised themselves and unable to influence much at all)

According to the official Everton website, we have 35,000 shares, with Kenwright owning 9044, which equates to 25.84%.

Was taking the figures from the accounts which only give the board's holdings and not "others"...

Kenwright 9,044

Woods 6.622

Earl 8,146

Carter 714

....so you're right. But the point I was agreeing with is that Bill's a minority shareholder and can't act alone.

If anybody acquires 30% they are obliged to make an offer for them all, that includes two shareholders buying 15% each if they are believed to be acting 'in concert' i.e. together for all intents and purposes.

Also, Everton are obliged to disclose to the shareholders any reasonable prospect of an interested party i.e. someone who's interested.

This is a tricky area, because of course, you have to be able to discount complete timewasters, BUT, by definition, since Everton (to my limited knowledge) have never announced any such prospect, any 'interest' BK talks about is of a negligible nature.

There is NOTHING stopping Bill selling his shares.

IF there is any reasonable prospect of a buyer, they are obliged to make that known

IF there is a 'rumour' about a buyer (even if incorrect) and it results in an atypical change in share price, they are obliged to make the truth known.

As I said though, if someone buys Bill's shares, they are buying into an 'unknown'. They need the cooperation of the board to get full access to the state of the business and do due diligence (so called 'friendly' takeover). Otherwise it's hostile and the board don't have to show them anything.... leaving it up to the potential buyer to rely on public information alone.

What I suspect is the problem, is that the club is worth less than they've paid for their shares, or not far off, meaning the shareholders will effectively lose money.

If it's not that, then it's simply greed.

The BEST result for Everton, IF the shareholders want that (above their own benefit) is to sell at the lowest price that covers their costs and thus 'hope' the saving made by the buyer get invested back into the club.

IF the shareholders would like to make some money from this too, then there's a reasonable chance that will mean less money available for Everton afterwards.

OR the shareholders are hoping they'll make a swift buck, AND whatever the new owners were going to invest in the club afterwards will still be invested (it just cost them more to buy).

The latter two options are arguably putting their own needs ahead of Everton.

If BK's true to his word and only wants what he put in, and the other shareholders are of a similar mind, then the club is in a real state with no prospect of a buyer, since they are effectively saying "cost price come and buy us" if THAT isn't attractive to a buyer (and there's every chance it isn't) then there's a huge issue somewhere... undisclosed debt? or clauses that affect the future?....

just as an instance.... say Everton owe 50 million, and there are agreements to play that back over 5 years, BUT if they fail to pay it back, then it rises to 60 million (or similar). You'd not see that little 'issue' until you did due diligence and then realise the catch.

The thing I would like to know is;

Are they talking about £150m for the whole club, or £150m for 68.03% (buying out the three top owners)?

£4285.71 per share or £6299.34 per share?

Carters shares arent even worth talking about to be honest given he is in such a minority.

Who's shares are up for sale?

What is the minimum amount of shares needed to constitute a take over?

Is it these then Mike?

Kenwright 9,044

Woods 6.622

Earl 8,146

Carter 714

Earl and Kenwright then are the big holders, as much as im not a Kenwright fan, the more i read and i have to say i did'nt expect Earl to have that big a portion, im starting to think he might be behind the hefty price tag, i think Earl has more to do with this than we may think, don't forget BK owes money in private loans to Earl, thats why Earl said he would not lend Kenwright any more money till we had a new stadium and a way of generating the income for him to get a return. I am seriously dubious about the board and its members at our club, let alone the chairman.

Earl and Kenwright then are the big holders, as much as im not a Kenwright fan, the more i read and i have to say i did'nt expect Earl to have that big a portion, im starting to think he might be behind the hefty price tag, i think Earl has more to do with this than we may think, don't forget BK owes money in private loans to Earl, thats why Earl said he would not lend Kenwright any more money till we had a new stadium and a way of generating the income for him to get a return. I am seriously dubious about the board and its members at our club, let alone the chairman.

Does anyone think that Earl may well be Green's proxy?

As I mentioned the whole club (a couple of years ago) was valued at £130m so I cant see just Kenwrights shares being worth £150m (unless I have misunderstood what you have written)

Alot of clubs have hostile take overs. If Bill sold I wouldnt be surprised if Carter sold his which would put the new owner with a majority hold & complete control. The other shareholders would have limited power.

In theory if Everton has £40m worth of debt then that should be knocked off the value.

Does anyone think that Earl may well be Green's proxy?

Yes, ive seen a few people saying this now, it's all so bloody complicated, i can't help feeling if/when it ever does come out, we will find that Bill has borrowed money from the bloody tea lady, and whoever else was around at the time. Edited by theprisoner

• 3 weeks later...

Quite old news now, but in November, according to KEIOC, San Francisco-based Jerome L Simon has purchased shares in the club.. don't know whether it's takeover related or just an investment opportunity for him.

Keeping Everton In Our City - What Price Everton Football Club?

That article is exceptionally good, but needs to be read a few times (I would say).

The only aspect I'm not keen on is the urge to join the Blue Union. I think just suggests a certain side of the fence. But if anybody wanted a pretty impressive and I'd argue insightful reality check... read it.

That is a very good article and the bits right at the end are certainly very interesting.

I have always been a fan of Keioc purely because they seem to know what they are talking about. The amount they put into the work they do is very impressive, especially in seeking independent advice. IMO its a shame they are banded in with the BU.

• 1 month later...