• Left centre
    • Right centre
    • Right back
    • Defensive mid
    • Left mid/winger
    • Right mid/winger
    • Attacking mid
    • Striker

Imo i think a top winger and striker is all we need, and we need cover for LB and GK but i'd rather save what ever money there is to buy top players to improve the starting 11 and let the youngster have a chance

Edited by pete0

striker is the one position where we absolutely NEED to bring someone in. I don't want to watch another season of us playing good football in two thirds of the pitch but just not being able to score enough goals regularly. that being said, I would like to see two quality frontmen come in as I think we need to stop over relying on cahill as he's getting up in years and I'd also like to see us play 442 more often. with 4 good frontmen in saha, becks and whatever 2 may come in, combined with cahill, that would give us a lot of attacking options and the ability to change things up in games when things aren't working.

all other positions could use strengthening as it's no secret how small our squad is. if the money is there, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two wide midfielders come in as well as cover at left back. don't know why we haven't addressed the left back situation at this point. we've been incredibly lucky over the past two seasons with how consistently fit baines has been but it just takes one small injury to keep him out for a few weeks and we're fucked trying to fill that gap. goalkeeper cover needs addressing as well since turner is gone and it looks as though mucha will be leaving as well. I'm sure DM will find either some young gun or some keeper towards the end of his career that will be happy to sit on the bench.

I always liked Jose Mourinhos theory of having a squad with 2 players who could play in each position and relying on youth academy products beyond that. This is how our squad looks at the moment using that theory.

Gk: Howard, Mucha

RB: Neville, Hibbert

RCB: Jagielka, Heitinga

LCB: Distin, Yobo

LB: Baines

RM: Arteta, Coleman

DCM: Felliani, Rodwell

ACM: Cahill, Osman

LM: Bilyaletdinov, Gueye

ST: Saha, Beckford

ST: Yakubu, Anichebe

I realise that most of these players can play in several positions and we won't be playing 4-4-2 in everygame but I think it is usefull writing it down like this to show where the squad needs stengthening.

From this I would say we definately need cover for Baines as other people have mentioned don't know how we would cope with an Injury to him.

Also the players I have put wide midfield are not natural wide men, and looking at the squad we do not really have any natural wide midfielders.

Most importantly in my opinion though is the need for a new striker. Beckford and Anichebe just aren't good enough, Yakubus face just doesnt seem to fit anymore and Saha isn't getting any younger.

The fact is we need goals. you can not win a game unless you score more than the opposition. We didn't win enough games last season. I am happy to concede more (well not exactly happy) as long as we get at least one more than them.

But you also need people to supply them Rubes ;):)

A West Ham executive has been quoted as saying that Ba is set to join Everton after being released by West Ham. I would be happy with signing him as he has already made a great start to his premier league career. He is big, mobile, and scores goals. On a free transfer is perfect for us and with reported wages of around 50,000 pw, he would basically be taking up the wages which we no longer pay Pienaar. Could solve our striking problem, only concern is his injury record but isn't that always the case?

source : http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/15/demba-ba-west-ham-everton

A West Ham executive has been quoted as saying that Ba is set to join Everton after being released by West Ham. I would be happy with signing him as he has already made a great start to his premier league career. He is big, mobile, and scores goals. On a free transfer is perfect for us and with reported wages of around 50,000 pw, he would basically be taking up the wages which we no longer pay Pienaar. Could solve our striking problem, only concern is his injury record but isn't that always the case?

source : http://www.guardian....est-ham-everton

Ive read somewhere else that he wants 70k....

Who was it who was all set on joining but wanted the club to pay the tax? It was in the 90s.. I'm thinking it was a Brazilian but can't remember. Maybe Romario? Batistuta was another mentioned but I don't think it was him.

Wasnt it Nunes or something like that?

Also didnt Ravanelli pull the same trick when he bought his enterage down with him when we tried to sign him from Borro?

Lol maybe not Nunes then as that was in 83

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1124082.stm

Pretty sure thats why that one fell through as well though

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I answered to the poll that both wings and striker. Our starting 11 is strong enought atm, but our injuryrecords are horrible, and we dont actually have support from bench atm. I still think this is just going to be another frustrating summer for us Evertonians. Maybe we will get some1 from uniteds bench and thats all, prolly if they pay hes wages next season. We dont get that kind of amounts from some of tranfers out, that we could seriously be strengting our squad. Sad but true. Ill hope again that im wrong with these opinions. I would took Ba. Hes fast and hungry, do score with feets and head. He was really dangerous at Bundesliga and hes start wtih hammers were better than ok. Prolly going to score for newcastle about 12-16 in league, if keeps fit and plays 30+ games.

Midfield for me - attacking mid and wingers. You can have the best striker in the world, but unless he gets the ball how is he supposed to score. Coleman is a runner, not a crosser. Bily is shite. Gueye is our best prospect on the wing but lacking game time.

In dreamland, someone like Nasri would be immense but never going to happen. Unless Kanchelskis fancies coming out of retirement, I used to wet myself every time he got the ball out on the wing.

Edited by Everton_Worshiper