IGNORED

Manchester United - Goodison Park

Hafnia

Our new Manchester United associate has posted the questions on his forum (thank you for that S.E Arising)

the questions are:

Q1: If you were Moyes, what formation, key players and specific tactics would you employ to get the best result against United?

Q2: From watching Everton in any capacity, where do you identify the strengths and weaknesse of our team?

Q3: What is your opinion of Moyes?

Q4: Since his move, evaluate Rooney's development, has he lost alot of his flair? Is he a better team player?

Q5: Where do you see Everton and Man United finishing in the league this season?

Q6: What are your views on Kenwright and the ownership of the club?

Q7: If you could have one Everton player who would it be?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First response Leegend90:

Q1: If you were Moyes, what formation, key players and specific tactics would you employ to get the best result against United?

As United tend to play 4-3-3 against Everton, I would match United like-for-like. This would certainly the best way of trying to stop United trying to dominate matches. The midfield battle has always been a tight one in previous matches with both teams fielding combative players who don't mind getting physical. In terms of key players, if Tim Cahill is fit, he is always a constant threat in the penalty box, especially in the air. The youngsters Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley have impressed me this season and they would certainly be players the United players would have to deal with on the day. In terms of special tactics. Just stop Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young with whatever you can. They've been in great form this season and, on their day, they are unstoppable.

Q2: From watching Everton in any capacity, where do you identify the strengths and weaknesses of our team?

Everton are never an easy team to play. They are very physical and they are willing to get stuck. That is tough to play against, especially when the players are really determined to get a result. Because of that physicality, Everton are deadly in the air. If they can get a good ball into the box, it always feels like they will win it.

Weaknesses I think lie in defence this season. I believe they haven't kept a clean sheet in the last eight games. I think that is a problem for any team. Little errors have cost them and I just feel they need to be more solid at the back. Another weakness comes in strength-in-depth which I think has been a problem at Everton for the last few years. A few injuries and David Moyes has had to promote youngsters early which isn't a bad thing in the long run but you want a good bunch of experienced players in your team in all positions.

David Moyes is one of the best coaches in the Premier League, there is no doubt about that. With the limited budget he has had, Everton are always competing for a Europa League place. This has to be commended. Because of this, he has had to look to his youth team and in recent years the club has produced some talented young players. Of course there is Rooney who is United's best player now. In the current Everton squad he has the likes of Leon Osman, Seamus Coleman, Jack Rodwell & Ross Barkley that were produced by the club and are first team regulars right now. Moyes will have had a lot of influence of them and if he continues producing players for the Premier League then that can only be a good thing. I know Sir Alex consider him with high regard. He can't be wrong really.

Q4: Since his move, evaluate Rooney's development, has he lost alot of his flair? Is he a better team player?

I think Rooney is United's best player and England's. His development at United has been excellent. He has matured into such a great team player, he can score, create and he doesn't mind defending. I couldn't care less if he has lost his flair, he is producing the goods for the team and that is all that matters really.

Q5: Where do you see Everton and Man United finishing in the league this season?

I would be surprised if Everton didn't finish in the Top 8. They will be chasing for a Europa League place as they always seem to do. I am sure that is where David Moyes and the club would want to be. For United, I expect them to finish as Champions. City have now emerged as title contenders and it will be a tough fight for the title between them and Chelsea.

I think he has had to be tough on finances. I am sure he would love to be able to give Moyes millions to get the players he wants but he has simply not been able to. If he can find a wealthy buyer for the club, as we have seen at other clubs, then I am sure he would have to step aside but if he did it would have to be for the better for Everton. I also think he has been great with David Moyes as a manager. Never doubted him during times of bad form and obviously sees him as the right man for the club. I think when you have an owner like that, it is great for the manager and it is great for the club alone even though I am sure Moyes has been frustrated with the lack of funds.

Jack Rodwell. We are lacking a proper defensive midfield player at United right now and I feel he would be perfect. He is young, talented and doesn't mind getting stuck in. He is one of England's rising talents right now.

Two more:

If all players were available. I'd play a 4-4-1-1 with Cahill in behind Saha, Rodwell and Fellaini in CM flanked by Drenthe and Coleman. Drenthe however is unavailable for the weekend due to getting suspended in the League Cup for 2 yellow cards. Saha on his day is deadly, but injuries have held him back massively, he could have been world class, not sure if he's available for Saturday either seemed to get injured in the League Cup. Cahill has a very big jump. Rodwell and Fellaini are both tall, phyiscal players so Everton's best chance is getting the ball in from wide areas or set pieces. From what i've seen of Coleman, his delivery from the flanks is very good. Also, put our midfield under pressure by pressing hard, when Carrick has time he can be very effective, when put under pressure he seems to panic a bit. If Cleverley is playing though you'll do well to pressurise him when he's on the ball as he can move the ball around quickly and accurately.

Q2: From watching Everton in any capacity, where do you identify the strengths and weaknesse of our team?

Strengths: Tim Howard, Midfield.

Weaknesses: Defence, Squad depth, goalscoring.

Very good manager, despite not winning any silverware i'd say he's been successful, he's had little money to spend but has managed to finish in the top half of the Prem on numerous occasions, broke into the top 4 and got to a FA Cup Final... somehow. When he has bought though, his buys have been a bit suspect, replacing Rooney with first Beattie then Johnson and then Yakubu, breaking the club transfer record each time. With limited resources though, he's done very well to keep Everton in the Prem not just the Top 10.

Rooney has become a much better player, he's matured on the field, he's cooled his arguing with refs down and despite the myth he rarely makes bad challenges and doesn't get many yellow cards anymore and hasn't seen red in a good few years. As a player, everything has improved, leading to questions of him moving into midfield in a few years time. He works very hard on his finishing, it's often been said that he and Hernandez stay behind after training to practice their finishing. His heading ability has come on greatly, this was seen in the 2009/10 season when he played upfront alone a lot, it's not been seen as much since due to him moving into a deeper role but he still pops up with them quite a bit.

Despite the weekend, I still think we'll finish 1st, this has been our best start to the season for many years, after Saturday we've got a very good run of games and then the 2nd half of the season where we always get stronger.

Everton I think will finish in the Top 10. In recent years, Everton have been brilliant in the 2nd half of the season. In the 2nd half of 09-10 they were in CL qualification form and would have come 3rd behind us and Chelsea based on the 2nd half of the season alone. However they have fallen behind other sides I feel but I still think they can finish in the top 10.

I've not much idea of what's going on to be honest but it doesn't seem right, there is no way a side who have constantly been in the Premiership should be struggling with finances in this day and age. It's amazing how the club have managed to stay in the Premiership all these years in my opinion.

I've not seen enough of Barkley so i'd have to say Rodwell although I don't think he's as good as many say, he could have been very good but I think he's been held back at Everton and by injuries.

Everton are an immensley tough side to break down, they know how to play compact and use their physical attributes to make them a threat on the attacking front. I would imagine that Moyes will opt to play Saha as a lone striker in order to pack the midfield to ensure plenty of man power given the teams exerts against Chelsea in the week. The Toffees have a very spine to the team from goalkeeper Howard to Jagielka up to Cahill and Saha, this has undoubtedly spearheaded their success in recent years it is just a shame that they cannot keep Saha fit for longer. Saha is a brilliant centre forward and would do an excellent job for Everton if he could be consistently availible, I have always maintained that Saha would have been a mainstay at United had it not been for his persistant injuries. As it is though he is fit at the moment and is likely to play tomorrow and will be a threat to United.

Q2: From watching Everton in any capacity, where do you identify the strengths and weaknesses of our team?

Squad depth is an issue at Everton given that injuries can have an abnormally detrimental effect given what it will do the team. It has often left you short and having to 'make-do'. Losing players like Arteta, largely due to financial reasons will also not have helped, I've heard differing opinions from Everton fans on how they rate the Spanirad but his experience cannot be questioned and they will miss him in games against the top teams. As for strengths your physicality and sheer determination, handed down from your fiery Scot manager is an obvious strength but Everton can play football too, Rodwell is a very technically gifted player and Leighton Baines is one of the best left-backs in the country, both in attack and defence plus his set-pieces will always be an asset to Everton whilst his remains at Goodison

I have nothing but respect for David Moyes in the way he has been able to not only keep Everton well clear of the drop zone, as they were under the likes of Walter Smith but guide them to the Champions League. Unfortunately for Everton he has not been able to sustain that type of league success however given that Everton are one of the few bigger clubs in the Premier League with no real financial backing Moyes has worked wonders with the Toffees, his buys have been shrewd and he has coped admirably at times when injuries have beleagured his team. This type of management has, as you will know, seen him being lined up as a potential future United manager; as much as I rate Moyes I would have to say I am a little unsure whether he would cut it at United due to his lack of experience managing a top European side. However the same was probably said by Everton fans after his move from PNE, could he adapt to life in the Premier League? The answer was yes and he has provided his critics with the most emphatic of answers. Whether or not his future lies at or away from Goodison one thing is for sure, whilst he is there it can only be a good thing for Everton.

For all his off the pitch misdemeanours Rooney is United's best player, our talisman, whether some fans want to admit it or not that is a fact. His contract debacle last year has left a sour taste in the mouths of some but you cannot fault the lad on the pitch. He is a terrific player and crucial to how successful United will be this year, since the departure of Ronaldo he has really come into his own and shown us the heights he is capable of reaching, his vision, passing, goalscoring, work ethic are all superb; he makes United tick and we need him, make no mistake about it. As for loss of flair, I'm not so sure, loss of hair definitely but I'm not sure whether I would have ever called Rooney a flair player, a flar player to me are people like David Silva, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi. Rooney is a wonderful player no question but his talents lie in industry, a great eye for goal and a talent for dictating games, rather than skinning a man down th wing per se. Conversley I would argue that Rooney has always been a team player, although he is a great goalscorer he probably doesn't have as much of a ruthless streak in him like say Ruud van Nistelrooy or Fernando Torres, the fact that he is the man who makes United tick shows how much of a team player he is, without this attribute you cannot hope to be the man who moves United forward in the style of people like Scholes and Keane.

Last weeks result against City has put doubts in the mind of all United fans however I do believe we will still win the league. We have the strength of mind to overcome a result like the 6-1 and despite what some may have you believe the quality to win a twentieth title. Many believe the United squad of last season was one of the worst in Ferguson's reign but inspite of this they still managed to win the league and reach teh final of the Champions League, I believe the squad has improved from last year and subsequently will win the league. City look in ominous form but have many tests to come, United have been there and done it and that will help. As for EvertonI believe you will once again finish comfortably in the mid top half of the table, realistcally the best you can achieve is fifth however I would imagine more so sixth of seventh. If this is the case this will be a decent finish for the Toffees however I think it's evident that financial backing is desperately needed othewise you risk falling behind the teams in and around you.

He's had a lot of flack, possibly some deserved, possibly some not so however with what he has Kenwright has budgeted well. He clearly cares about the club and will probably be unwilling to sell the club as he is concerned that it may fall into the hands of careless owners however clearly for Everton to progress they need investment from somewhere.

Rodwell or Cahill. I think Rodwell would suitus more as we are lacking a proper defensive midfielder and haven't had one since Owen Hargreaves, I also think Cahill is a top player, great in the air, physical and determined. I'm not sure he would fit into the current United setup with Rooney operating in a similar position to Cahill in the hole between the striker and the midfielder however I still think he is a top player and has obviously forged and emotional attachment to the Goodison faithful which can only be a good thing as he is unlikely to jump ship any time soon!

I reckon it'll be....

----------- Howard -----------

Hibbert Jags Distin Baines

----- Heitinga Rodwell -----

Osman --- Fellaini --- Bily

------------ Saha ------------

i'd prefer.....

----------- Howard -----------

Hibbert Jags Distin Baines

---- Fellaini ---- Rodwell -----

- Barkley ---------- Bily -------

---------Vellios - Saha --------

Young and hungry, with a mix of experience :D

A nice read mate, a bit different to how we do it, but its put together very well.

Cheers.

I read it, and it was well put, though it is presented as a mixture of all the different views put together as one person. It's worth pointing out though that Leighton Baines missed the penalty, not Louis Saha, but otherwise a decent read.

I read it, and it was well put, though it is presented as a mixture of all the different views put together as one person. It's worth pointing out though that Leighton Baines missed the penalty, not Louis Saha, but otherwise a decent read.

Thank you. The mistake has been corrected.

Thank you Bill and hafnia for kind words.