IGNORED

Pienaar

i think after hearing lescott talk in the past few days about how he's not enjoying spending so much time on the bench at city, pienaar might be having second thoughts about leaving everton. it seems like he's growing more inclined to sign a new deal, but nobody can really be sure. true he'll get a pay raise if he goes to another big club but he's also going to spend a lot more time on the bench which he isn't used to. at tottenham he'll have to compete with bale, van der vaart, modric and lennon for a place. same at arsenal as he'll have to compete with arshavin, walcott, nasri and wilshere. a lot has been said about how few players actually do better in their careers after they leave everton. if you look at all the big names that have left in the past 10 years, rooney is really the only one who can say he benefited (in footballing terms, obviously the pay situations improved vastly for others that left) from leaving, and that's only because he's one of the worlds best, while good players like lescott and gravesen saw their playing careers stall astonishingly quickly. not trying to detract from pienaar's talent, but he's not in the same bracket as rooney, but he doesn't need to look further than lescott and gravesen to realise that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. here's to hoping he figures that out and signs a new contract at everton because odds are he'll regret the day he left everton

It's fucking pathetic that we'll have to sell him (for virtually nothing) just to have something to spend in this window. We effectively haven't spend anything for about 2 years now ffs! Our board should be ashamed, they're like a cancer that are killing this club.

I might be on my own here but I'm of the opinion that Moyes' ego has cost us big time once again, just like it did with Lescott. With Lescott his "I'm the boss and what I say goes" attitude cost us in terms of team spirit and Moyes was forced to back down and sell. This time it's been clear (to us fans atleast!) that Pienaar was going to leave so he should have sold him while we still could have got a good wedge for him, but no Moyes' ego gets in the way and he's forced to back down again and sell Pienaar, but now we'll barely get a bean for him. So, while it may not have killed the team spirit it's cost us millions instead. Something a club as skint as we are can't afford.

Thanks Moyes. Try learning some lessons from this eh? I won't hold my breath.

It's fucking pathetic that we'll have to sell him (for virtually nothing) just to have something to spend in this window. We effectively haven't spend anything for about 2 years now ffs! Our board should be ashamed, they're like a cancer that are killing this club.

I might be on my own here but I'm of the opinion that Moyes' ego has cost us big time once again, just like it did with Lescott. With Lescott his "I'm the boss and what I say goes" attitude cost us in terms of team spirit and Moyes was forced to back down and sell. This time it's been clear (to us fans atleast!) that Pienaar was going to leave so he should have sold him while we still could have got a good wedge for him, but no Moyes' ego gets in the way and he's forced to back down again and sell Pienaar, but now we'll barely get a bean for him. So, while it may not have killed the team spirit it's cost us millions instead. Something a club as skint as we are can't afford.

Thanks Moyes. Try learning some lessons from this eh? I won't hold my breath.

not with you on this mate. Ok, so we lose a player for next to nothing or nothing at the end of the year. But think of a season without the Baines/Pienaar combo thats been so effective over the last 2 years. Its our only source of attack and if we had sold him in the summer for more money, we wouldnt have lost as much money, but we wouldve lost goals. How many of Cahills goals have come from Baines being fed by Pienaar. Thats worth keeping him til the end of the season alone. This isnt DMs ego, this is him sticking to his guns because he knows Pienaar and Baines are our best bet going forward. If anyone is killing team spirit, its Pienaar. How many others have signed 5 year deals this year alone? Thats not the sign of waning team spirit, thats making the team stronger. If Pienaar doesnt want in, oh well. But keep him as long as we can and keep the left side as dangerous as we all know it can be for as long as possible.

edit: unless that rumour of a switch with Kranjaer + 1m is true, then bite their damn hands off!

Edited by Matt

I haven't said the Pienaar situation is ruining team spirit, I said it's costing us millions, which it is.

And those goals coming from the left are going to be lost come January or the summer, only now we won't actually be able to replace Pienaar because we won't have any money. Fanatastic management right there. And I don't really see Krankjar as a decent replacement for Pienaar at all but I suppose he's the best we can hope for in this shitty situation.

I'm just frustrated with the club from top to bottom right now. In the past the board have been saved by Moyes performing miracles but that gravy train seems to have dried up so the board is being shown up for what it really is; complete shite. And that's now seeping down into the rest of the club.

Edited by Romey 1878

The only thing about Peanuts going in Jan is that maybe Moyes will switch his style of play or other players may step up the the mark? as above if we Kranjaer + 1 mill or even Kranjaer and maybe Keane or Bently on loan i would be satisfied.

hope thats not Robbie Keane you're referring to! No loans as a replacement, might as well keep Pienaar til the end of the season. A permanent swap would be what we need.

hope thats not Robbie Keane you're referring to! No loans as a replacement, might as well keep Pienaar til the end of the season. A permanent swap would be what we need.

I was i was saying Kranjaer on a perm basis plus 1 million or instead of the one million Keane or Bently on loan as well as the perm signing of Kranjaer.

I would take Keane at the moment just to mix up the attack to be honest in fact i would take almost anything!

I was i was saying Kranjaer on a perm basis plus 1 million or instead of the one million Keane or Bently on loan as well as the perm signing of Kranjaer.

I would take Keane at the moment just to mix up the attack to be honest in fact i would take almost anything!

fair enough! Ive not got my glasses today and my eyes are killing me! Still wouldnt take Keane though....

not with you on this mate. Ok, so we lose a player for next to nothing or nothing at the end of the year. But think of a season without the Baines/Pienaar combo thats been so effective over the last 2 years. Its our only source of attack and if we had sold him in the summer for more money, we wouldnt have lost as much money, but we wouldve lost goals. How many of Cahills goals have come from Baines being fed by Pienaar. Thats worth keeping him til the end of the season alone. This isnt DMs ego, this is him sticking to his guns because he knows Pienaar and Baines are our best bet going forward. If anyone is killing team spirit, its Pienaar. How many others have signed 5 year deals this year alone? Thats not the sign of waning team spirit, thats making the team stronger. If Pienaar doesnt want in, oh well. But keep him as long as we can and keep the left side as dangerous as we all know it can be for as long as possible.

edit: unless that rumour of a switch with Kranjaer + 1m is true, then bite their damn hands off!

With you on this , except the bit about Piennar killing team spirit.

He may be on his way but he hasnt done a Yak. His performances and effort havent slipped so its a bit harsh to blame him for team spirit being low

With you on this , except the bit about Piennar killing team spirit.

He may be on his way but he hasnt done a Yak. His performances and effort havent slipped so its a bit harsh to blame him for team spirit being low

Im not saying he is necessarily, im just saying that if someone is it would be him before DM. He was still playing his heart out and i reckon he will do til the end of the year. Im not even sure the spirit is low. Team morale certainly is due to frustration, but the spirit not...

Well credit to Pienaar because, to me at least, it seems like he keeps on playing his heart out whenever called upon. Arteta's half-assed efforts before his ban are much more alarming. I'd rather keep Pienaar for the rest of the season than get a mil+Kranjcar in january, mainly because it's a huge risk thinking Kranjcar will solve our left side debacle in the absence of Pienaar, whom without we don't really have much to throw at teams as Baines looks a lot weaker without Pienaar. Moyes is right in that if Peanuts wants to secure a top top contract he needs to keep building momentum through the entire season, and to us that is more important right now than recouping a million and a player who shone at Portsmouth but who has then gone missing.

Set our hopes on playing together a decent new left side during next summer and just come to terms with us losing Pienaar and hopefully he can keep turning in top performances to help carry us into top half placings. As has been said, the distance to 7th position pointwise is not really that far. I remember during the season we finished 4th everything seemed to bounce our way, it was in off the post in the last 5 mins of every 0-0 draw to Wigan for that entire season. Which really doesn't look that far off now either, but our strikers haven't really done their fair share since Yak's latest 20+ season..

I'm not even sure why you're talking about team spirit in response to my post tbh Matt. I said Moyes' stance on Pienaar has cost us millions and pointed this out again at the top of this page...

All i said was IF the team spirit was being affected, it most likely wasnt to do with this, mostly agreeing with your point about the difference between this and Lescott. Maybe I went on about it too long.

My point was that its not DMs ego thats cost us. He may have lost a few million on a player, which means we cant go out and buy an experienced replacement. But we have kept our strongest form of attack for 1 last season when we have no real candidates to replace him and bought some time. This was supposed to be the season we broke the top 4 again, so of course he wanted to keep his biggest threat. Sadly, irritatigingly, frustratingly, its not working out that way and now he we lost some money. Had we been winning the games that we'd dominated, it wouldve been a different story (stating the obvious i know). Keeping Pienaar for 1 last season and finishing 4th or higher was completely worth the gamble and would be working if we were winning. I wouldve done exactly the same. Its not working out that way though, and now we lose a good player and some money, with no funds to replace him with. It was a gamble, but a gamble worth taking and the blame should stay with the strikers not finishing their chances that Pienaar has helped create. Can you imagine where we would be without him this season?! Hopefully, and it is hopefully, Maggie will be able to step into his shoes next year. Ossie looked very good with Baines for those 2(?) games. Neither are ideal but what else can we do now?

Just curious, but how much do you think we wouldve got for him in the summer? 6-7m? He is worth well more than that but with everyone knowing they can get him for buttons a few months later, we were never going to get a substantial sum o cash to replace him with. Lets be honest, most of any cash coming in wouldve never been seen again anyway.

I understand your frustrations mate, its clear as day. But i think you would be more frustrated if we had sold him in the summer and taken a risk on someone else.

You really think the man who won't gamble on the pitch would gamble with the club's finances like that? I doubt it myself, it's totally about his own image this IMO. And if he was willing to gamble financially like that when he knows our situation then that's totally irresponsible.

Yeah, he is worth a lot more than £6million-£7million but that's a damn sight more than we're going to get in January if we manage to flog him.

Please don't talk to me about Maggie stepping into his boots, that's antoher thing that has pissed me off about Moyes. He played Maggie right through pre-season and instead of carrying that on and bedding him into our style of play (incase the Pienaar "gamble" didn't pay off) by giving him a few minutes in the Premiership here and there, he completely ignores him. Now, you may point out that we haven't been able to do that because of our horrible start to the season, but he would have given us something different to bring on when we needed something from a game, mostly a bit of pace. His man management this season has left a lot to be desired.

I'm just incredibly fucked off with Everton Football Club right now. I expect better from Moyes because he's capable of better.

You really think the man who won't gamble on the pitch would gamble with the club's finances like that?

Remember Moyes' Pienaar quote, how he wasn't bothered about Steven leaving because he only bought him for 2 million and his service was worth well more than that? It seems that Moyes sees being frugal in the transfer market and then not selling the clubs players at their peak value as being financially disciplined-when all that really matters is net transfer spend and wages and that it has basically cost us 10m (in the opportunity cost of keeping him +wages) to keep him this last year.)

Taking a gamble with the clubs finances is not selling a 32 year old striker with an injury history for 8 million (I am perfectly aware we needed sahas goals badly at that time- but we sure could use those 8m now.) and letting Peanut's contract run down thus depreciating his sell on value.

Conservative I think is an excellent word to describe Moyes- So while he would never shell out cash on a high risk high reward player, it seems to me he was ok letting a player's transfer value depreciate at the expense of the club's finances.

Edited by ftaylor

Did we not buy a replacement in the summer - Gueye ? He's a left footer (I think), yeah not the finished article but loads of promise. Piennar is as good as gone, great player but not one player is bigger than the club. Bit of a shitty time at mo but win 4 games on the bounce and it all looks different. League is so so tight. What we need is a Centre forward who stinks of goals. Moyes is beginning to rebuild this team, lets trust him to do his job. Not let us down yet.

• 2 weeks later...