IGNORED

No poppies for England - FIFA

FIFA have said England are not permitted to have Poppies printed on their shirts for the match against Spain on 12th November.

FIFA say the Poppies, for Remembrance Sunday, are a political gesture and as such are banned from FIFA matches.

Not surprised with FIFA, but this is a joke.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/05/fifa-ban-poppy-england-spain

FIFA have said England are not permitted to have Poppies printed on their shirts for the match against Spain on 12th November.

FIFA say the Poppies, for Remembrance Sunday, are a political gesture and as such are banned from FIFA matches.

Not surprised with FIFA, but this is a joke.

http://www.guardian....y-england-spain

If England pull out the game i'll start supporting them. But for now their just a bunch of spineless cockneys

I think FIFA are right to be honest. I imagine people would be unhappy if Yugoslavia/Serbia wore remembrance emblems after the goings on at Kosovo.

Do those countries have remembrance day? I think this country has remembrance day and wears poppies for a very very different reason!!!!

We should just wear shirts with Poppy's on anyway, fuck the bastards.

this. just do it and take the consequences.

I think FIFA are right to be honest. I imagine people would be unhappy if Yugoslavia/Serbia wore remembrance emblems after the goings on at Kosovo.

i'd have no problem with any country showing respect for their veterans and their lost, regardless of the situation they were lost in.

I'm with Jon Snow on this http://www.telegraph...s-Jon-Snow.html ...poppies have become compulsory for everyone in the public eye and are thus rendered meaningless, they just wear it because they have to. We struggled by without them on football shirts for ninety odd years so I don't know why we need them now personally.

Wear one for sure and think about why you're wearing it.....don't just wear one because everyone else is.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

I'm with Jon Snow on this http://www.telegraph...s-Jon-Snow.html ...poppies have become compulsory for everyone in the public eye and are thus rendered meaningless, they just wear it because they have to. We struggled by without them on football shirts for ninety odd years so I don't know why we need them now personally.

Wear one for sure and think about why you're wearing it.....don't just wear one because everyone else is.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

I like to believe most people buy them represent the purpose they're for as well as donate to the good causes they do, but it does grate me that every person in the media wears them like the boss has realised the date and been like "shit, it's November get the poppies out" and plastered them on.

i agree with it tbh, there is a whole day of remeberance the following day, so why do we need to involve football with it? football and that stuff should be kept as far apart as possible imo

I see where youre coming from but the idea is reminding everyone what they gave, not just the English but the world. Football is the perfect platform to do this as it reaches so many and this would serve as a reminder to all the cost of war.

Edited by Matt

I see where youre coming from but the idea is reminding everyone what they gave, not just the English but the world. Football is the perfect platform to do this as it reaches so many and this would serve as a reminder to all the cost of war.

yeah i know i can see it from both sides tbh, its such a difficult thing to discuss, most teams had the poppy on last week but a few did'nt i know Chelsea did'nt and i think someone else did'nt either, cant remember who

Edited by theprisoner

Apparently David Cameron is writing to FIFA to request that poppies are acceptable.

I don't read newspapers that much but I presume it's been a big story ? It's a convenient story to sideline John Terry captaining England I suppose!

Bloody ridiculous...took up time in PMQ's in parliament today. We're just becoming so Americanised wearing our patriotism on our sleeve now.

Reminds me (for those that have read Catch-22) of the "Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade".

In my opinion there has never been a greater need for the poppies to be worn. Simple as that, nothing to do with politics, everything to do with understanding the sacrifices made by those who gave their lives to ensure that the world we live in today is a free world.

FIFA are a bunch of absolute clowns - had enough of them.

In my opinion there has never been a greater need for the poppies to be worn.

That's fine but it should be a personal decision and we've turned it into a corporate one.

If players want to wear poppies then great, wear them in their suit lapel on their way to the ground and on their tracksuit when they come onto the pitch but it should be a personal thing rather than an FA decree. What if one of the players wanted to wear a white one (or God forbid didn't want to wear one at all)?

And, come the glorious day when the government make it compulsory for all patriots to wear one what do strippers do?

This is pathetic, now Prince William has written to FIFA.

Ridiculous....

Common sense from Stuart Pearce...

"Whether I understand it or not, you ask the question, they give a decision and you get on with it. That is the nature of it. But whether or not you have anything emblazoned on your shirt, it is what is in your heart that matters,"

Bullshit from Cameron...

"I think [the questioner] not only speaks for the whole House, but in fact the whole country, [in] being completely baffled and frankly angry [at] the decision made by Fifa."

You don't speak for me you weasely little twat.

Why not wear black arm bands with poppies printed on or something that sticks onto the shirt - neither would mean poppies are printed on the shirts if that's the official line.

Huzzah. issue now resolved.

Poppies will be worn on black armband.

This has been ridiculous.

Good idea! afro2.gif

Good idea! afro2.gif

Nobody like a smartarseshaking fist.png .

I'm hoping now that, in remembrance of all those that died to protect our personal freedom of speech/choice that the players will now be given the opportunity to wear an armband rather than being told that they're going to.

Yeah really.