IGNORED

Iran Invasion

Louis

I don't but they whole oil argument it just makes no sense.

1 GBU-12 Pathway laser guided bomb cost $20,000 to the US military. 1 barrel of oil is 39 gallons, even at pump prices here that is £200. So 1 bomb is equivalent to 100 barrels of oil (at UK pump prices)

Now the Americans have dropped significantly more bombs than 1, you also have to factor in the boots on the ground, the support network they require, the warships, the helicopters, submarines and a whole host of people back in the US.

Now surely it would be cheaper to just by the fucking stuff?

I don't but they whole oil argument it just makes no sense.

1 GBU-12 Pathway laser guided bomb cost $20,000 to the US military. 1 barrel of oil is 39 gallons, even at pump prices here that is £200. So 1 bomb is equivalent to 100 barrels of oil (at UK pump prices)

Now the Americans have dropped significantly more bombs than 1, you also have to factor in the boots on the ground, the support network they require, the warships, the helicopters, submarines and a whole host of people back in the US.

Now surely it would be cheaper to just by the fucking stuff?

but looking to the long term, when oil reserves dwindle the price will skyrocket and those holding the reserves will hold all the aces. This isnt a short term incentive, this is preparing for 1 or 200 hundred years down the line

If we want to look to the longterm I would suggest alternatives to a finite resource such as oil. Much better ways to provide our energy needs for the future at a fraction of the cost, without death and destruction and being reliant upon the middle east.

It just doesnt add up.

What we have spent on wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya is astronomical. For 10% of this spend we could have run an experiment to place a gorlov helical turbine in the Gulf Stream. For me this is the most credible way of us meeting our energy needs now and in the future

If we want to look to the longterm I would suggest alternatives to a finite resource such as oil. Much better ways to provide our energy needs for the future at a fraction of the cost, without death and destruction and being reliant upon the middle east.

It just doesnt add up.

What we have spent on wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya is astronomical. For 10% of this spend we could have run an experiment to place a gorlov helical turbine in the Gulf Stream. For me this is the most credible way of us meeting our energy needs now and in the future

dude, i dont disagree at all, just trying to explain a potential "reasoning" for it

The older we get, the more we realise what an utter crock of charlatans our governments are (no matter where you're from), and worst of all, how bent out media are (yes, our sanctimonious BBC included).

Whenever you hear media info on a subject you actually know a lot about (and realise the magnitude of error) the more you can safely assume the rest of it is as inaccurate.

But saddest of all - soldiers lives (not to mention innocent bystanders) will be lost simply on a political whim or gesture, or morally corrupt business deal (building contracts, security contracts, resource grabbing et al).

If a politician MUST initiate the firing of a bullet, the optimal target should be themselves. It'd make the world a better place.

Is a lunatic a person who shouts out '' I'm going to kill my next door neighbour'' and goes out to buy a gun on the black market or the one who beats the hell out of him to stop him doing it?

So where does the North Korea point sit in that?

They've already got the gun and test-fired it and no-one's trying to beat the hell out of them.

Why would that be?

So where does the North Korea point sit in that?

They've already got the gun and test-fired it and no-one's trying to beat the hell out of them.

Why would that be?

I can only imagine three fundamental reasons:

1) Fear of being on the receiving end

2) Total ambivalence

3) It's a favourable situation (though quite why I do not know)

I don't think we're ambivalent - so 1 and 3 must be it.

I suspect North Korea is seen as an escaped wild animal. Unlikely to attack unless provoked, but needs to be dealt with in the longer term (which nobody's getting round to!)

As long as North Korea is left alone, it makes all other action against other 'potential threats' hypocritical.

Edited by BlueSky

North Korea probably don't have the capacity to fire it and North Korea also answer to China. As long as China are onside we will be ok. Iran answers to nobody and is reliant upon nobody

China and North Korea are "allies"...which is probably another reason we turn a blind eye to their programme.

http://www.marxists.org/subject/china/documents/china_dprk.htm

Article II

The Contracting Parties undertake jointly to adopt all measures to prevent aggression against either of the Contracting Parties by any state. In the event of one of the Contracting Parties being subjected to the armed attack by any state or several states jointly and thus being involved in a state of war, the other Contracting Party shall immediately render military and other assistance by all means at its disposal.

• 4 weeks later...

Reading up about Hiroshima and Nagasaki earlier....just goes to show you should never let religious types get their hands on nuclear weapons...

Harry S Truman (the man that gave the order) on the day that the second bomb hit....

"I realize the tragic significance of the atomic bomb... It is an awful responsibility which has come to us... We thank God that it has come to us, instead of to our enemies; and we pray that He may guide us to use it in His ways and for His purposes."

Can we disarm the US please?