IGNORED

Tim Cahill

I had hoped it was just the stupid hysterical 14 year olds making these embarrassing suggestions (a Tim Cahill statue is another corker I've seen thrown out there... FUCK ME!).

He's done nothing extraordinary to warrant anything other than a pat on the back and a thanks for everything as he walks out the door.

Why should he get a testimonial? You get on after 10 years and he played for us for eight years.

I had hoped it was just the stupid hysterical 14 year olds making these embarrassing suggestions (a Tim Cahill statue is another corker I've seen thrown out there... FUCK ME!).

He's done nothing extraordinary to warrant anything other than a pat on the back and a thanks for everything as he walks out the door.

Why should he get a testimonial? You get on after 10 years and he played for us for eight years.

statue is going a bit far, but retiring a shirt is a simple mark of respect, dont understand why its embarrassing.

Testimonial..... 2 years off the 10 should be forgiven considered all he has contributed to be honest. dont think a pat on the back does his service justice.

statue is going a bit far, but retiring a shirt is a simple mark of respect, dont understand why its embarrassing.

Testimonial..... 2 years off the 10 should be forgiven considered all he has contributed to be honest. dont think a pat on the back does his service justice.

It's embarrassing because there have been far, far, far better players than Tim Cahill who haven't got that sort of recognition.

It shows just how long we've been starved of quality that people genuinely believe we should retire a number because of a player like Cahill.

It's embarrassing because there have been far, far, far better players than Tim Cahill who haven't got that sort of recognition.

It shows just how long we've been starved of quality that people genuinely believe we should retire a number because of a player like Cahill.

Been players with more quality ive no doubt, but people who have made an impact through determination and spirit? Not many.

Been players with more quality ive no doubt, but people who have made an impact through determination and spirit? Not many.

That doesn't warrant the retiring of a number. He's done nothing special so hasn't earned anything special being done for him. You have to be a great or do something great to warrant that and he fits neither of those things.

Edited by Romey 1878

That doesn't warrant the retiring of a number. He's done nothing special so hasn't earned anything special being done for him. You have to be a great or do something great to warrant that and he fits neither of those things.

He has been great in my eyes, not the most skillful for sure but came up with important goals when needed, set the example of working hard and fighting for the club. The last 2 seasons he has been poor compared to the standard he set for the 5-6 years before that but he has been a great Everton player of the EPL era. I dont remember Everton before that, and so I suppose it comes down to opinion.

So you want to retire a shirt because he scored a few important goals and worked hard? AJ did that as well you know, as have countless others. Those things don't earn you that sort of honour. If you do it for that then we'll be havin players needing to wear numbers in the hundreds because there'll be no lower numbers left.

We have players who truly deserve this sort of honour, and IMO, it dishonours them that people think Cahill deserves it when we haven't honoured others in this way in the past.

And I'm only 24 myself so the PL era is all I know too.

Matt, aren't we in the same clique? Shouldn't we be on the same page and not disagreeing? Blow me down with a feather!

Edited by Romey 1878

So you want to retire a shirt because he scored a few important goals and worked hard? AJ did that as well you know, as have countless others. Those things don't earn you that sort of honour. If you do it for that then we'll be havin players needing to wear numbers in the hundreds because there'll be no lower numbers left.

We have players who truly deserve this sort of honour, and IMO, it dishonours them that people think Cahill deserves it when we haven't honoured others in this way in the past.

And I'm only 24 myself so the PL era is all I know too.

Matt, aren't we in the same clique? Shouldn't we be on the same page and not disagreeing? Blow me down with a feather!

we disagree occasionally, you young whipper-snapper! You know he was more that a couple of important goals and working hard, they were just examples. Comparing him to AJ is an insult to him too, AJ wasnt close to being as important. Cahill became a part of Everton, more than a player, he became an icon here.

Im going to start a firestorm here but hes more of a hero as Dunc ever was in my eyes and the big thug is revered as a legend. Maybe retiring the shirt isnt the way to recognize his contribution, but what else is there? He deserves something.

we disagree occasionally, you young whipper-snapper! You know he was more that a couple of important goals and working hard, they were just examples. Comparing him to AJ is an insult to him too, AJ wasnt close to being as important. Cahill became a part of Everton, more than a player, he became an icon here.

Im going to start a firestorm here but hes more of a hero as Dunc ever was in my eyes and the big thug is revered as a legend. Maybe retiring the shirt isnt the way to recognize his contribution, but what else is there? He deserves something.

I know we do, that was the point I was making :P.

He was more than that, I agree, but he wasn't anything special. Plenty of players have come here and really taken Everton to their hearts and fought with for the club with everything they have. They haven't been honoured in this way and Cahill shouldn't be either.

You'll start no firestorm with me with that comment. I think Ferguson was a clown and gets far more respect for his time here than I think he deserves. Cahill should get exactly what every player of his ilk gets when they leave; the best wishes and respect of every fan and all of his colleagues for his contribution. And to know that he'll always be welcomed back at Goodison to watch us play. Nothing more. I repeat, he did nothing special so doesn't deserve anything special being done for him.

I know we do, that was the point I was making tongue.png.

He was more than that, I agree, but he wasn't anything special. Plenty of players have come here and really taken Everton to their hearts and fought with for the club with everything they have. They haven't been honoured in this way and Cahill shouldn't be either.

You'll start no firestorm with me with that comment. I think Ferguson was a clown and gets far more respect for his time here than I think he deserves. Cahill should get exactly what every player of his ilk gets when they leave; the best wishes and respect of every fan and all of his colleagues for his contribution. And to know that he'll always be welcomed back at Goodison to watch us play. Nothing more. I repeat, he did nothing special so doesn't deserve anything special being done for him.

aah, you clever boy :D

Doesnt look like we will agree here. He was something special to me and the club and I cant think of a player in my lifetime that comes close to him. Anyway, going round in circles here, i'll give it a rest

Let's just retire the corner flags!....Cahill never did like them.

Seriously, would like to add my thanks to the man.The time is right to move on, he leaves behind many happy memories, not quite so many in the last couple of seasons.He was at times unplayable and the best at what he did, opponents and their managers hated him I thinks that says it all.

Good luck Tim.

Will always love TC for what he has done here and wish him all the best when he jets of to the United States (personally believe its better than moving to Asia). It's obvious he has been a great player for us and has earned his name in Everton history.

Retiring the Number 17 and building a new statue is a bit silly IMO, he wasn't that good.

I leave you with this - all of TC's goals for Everton FC;

Im gutted to see him go not least because I feel he still had a lot to offer on and off the pitch

I can see the reasoning behind it but Im getting a little concerned that our already threadbare squad is getting smaller and smaller by the day

I hope he gets to make an appeaance at Hibbos testimonial so he can get a chance to say his goodbyes, true legend

Lets hope the fans arent as fickle in New York!

Im gutted to see him go not least because I feel he still had a lot to offer on and off the pitch

Last season he was very mediocre and only seemed to do anything of use when Jelavic signed. At the start of last season fans were screaming for him to go along with King Louis. For me signing someone for £1,500,000 and then selling him again for £1,000,000 eight years later is good business, I can only see this bit of news as positive for both club and player.