IGNORED

Tim Cahill

I'm more sad to see that Cahill is leaving the club, as opposed to sad that he will never play for us again if that makes sense. He has the heart of a lion & he has been a great signing for us by scoring some really important goals. I am sure some of the youngsters will have learnt so much from him in what in means to be an Evertonian. However, I do feel he has been deprieving someone else of a start for the majority of the last 12 months and our reliance on him at times was our weakness.

Yes I am sad to see a player with so much love for this club leave, but I cant help but be optimistic about what this could lead to.

Shirts should only be retired in the case of death. What we should do for Tim is wish him well now and invite him back to GP as guest of honour in the MLS close season (around Christmas) and give him a jolly good ovation! I put him in the same bracket as big Dunc. Big Dunc was the positive in a dire era, Timmy had shone in a decent era - both lived and breathed the club!

Disappointed to see Cahill depart after eight fairly successful years, great servant for Millwall, and was instrumental in getting the South London club to the FA cup Final, sadly a shadow of his former self the last couple of seasons, age may be catching up, but make no mistake about it, a great servant for us. Some have categorized him as legend status, I just feel that isn't appropriate, just as with the Ferguson debate we had a while back. Cahill has been a very good player for us, played an important part, and I thank him for that, but I can't put in the same positions of say Lawton, Southall, Labone or Hickson. At least some corner flags will now have a respite, but in all seriousness, it's a bit of sad time for all involved at Goodison to see the player move on. I wish him well in New York.

I hope he gets to make an appeaance at Hibbos testimonial so he can get a chance to say his goodbyes, true legend

I hope not, would steal the attention from Hibbert. I think he will be at the Utd game to say his goodbyes at half time.

Hmmm, makes sure he gets a dig in there, think carsley is coming across a bit harsh there. It's not the time to dismiss Tim as a legend - I dont actually think he is, a great servant yes but legend no.

I dont think it's right that carsley dismissed it in such a fashion. seems a little bitter "had a say in us going forward" him and tommy holding to allow rum to bomb on.

Lee you have a place in the hearts of fans, you were warmly appreciated but dont be a nugget. You aren't wrong in what you say - you are wrong to say it though.

Hmmm, makes sure he gets a dig in there, think carsley is coming across a bit harsh there. It's not the time to dismiss Tim as a legend - I dont actually think he is, a great servant yes but legend no.

I dont think it's right that carsley dismissed it in such a fashion. seems a little bitter "had a say in us going forward" him and tommy holding to allow rum to bomb on.

Lee you have a place in the hearts of fans, you were warmly appreciated but dont be a nugget. You aren't wrong in what you say - you are wrong to say it though.

Carsley had his fair share of praise when he left and is using Cahill to tell the fans that he himself had not done enough to deserve the credit he was given, considering he never won a trophy. Maybe I'm reading in-between the lines and he really is putting Cahill down, but that just seems too odd and out of character.

Some players win the hearts of evertonians - sharpe, gray, Steven, sheedy, Reid, southall - all league winners but had massive heart and fought in the blue shirt.

What carsley misses is that ferguson, graham Stuart, martyn, Gough, Watson earned the love of the fans through being players of drive and integrity who played the game with a respect of the shirt. Maybe they didn't win more than an FA cup medal (bar Watson) - Martyn's won zilch but he will be remembered in my mind as the next best everton keeper to big nev.

So in summary carsley has created a criteria to dismiss a legend based on medals. Put it this way - le tissier and shearer are legends in Southampton and Newcastle and what did they win???

Some players win the hearts of evertonians - sharpe, gray, Steven, sheedy, Reid, southall - all league winners but had massive heart and fought in the blue shirt.

What carsley misses is that ferguson, graham Stuart, martyn, Gough, Watson earned the love of the fans through being players of drive and integrity who played the game with a respect of the shirt. Maybe they didn't win more than an FA cup medal (bar Watson) - Martyn's won zilch but he will be remembered in my mind as the next best everton keeper to big nev.

So in summary carsley has created a criteria to dismiss a legend based on medals. Put it this way - le tissier and shearer are legends in Southampton and Newcastle and what did they win???

I'd say Le Tissier and Shearer are both better than Cahill and legends due to the lack of success from their respective clubs, big fish little pond. When compared to Everton and our respective players we've had a lot higher caliber players for Cahill to be compared to. Cahill is a loyal player and always gave his best, but without any trophies he will be sadly remembered more like Steve Watson rather than Dave.

A 4 part series posted on NYRB website about Cahill's transfer. You can tell Everton means so much to him and his bleeds blue through and through. Here are some of my favourite quotes:

...And then I moved on to Everton for eight years. I had loads of opportunities probably to try different things, but with a manager like David Moyes and Bill Kenwright, the chairman, I think loyalty is something that I learned at such a young age [as being] really important. Because I’ve run through brick walls for the club. It means so much to me. And it’s so emotional as well. Because they’re my teammates, it’s part of my life, it’s part of my family, which is so special. And it was a good fit. I never wanted to go to another Premier League club out of respect to the chairman and the gaffer and obviously the fans who mean so much to me. But to have this transition and this opportunity, I’m blessed. I’m in a privileged position.

...I kept it very quiet. Because it’s something that, I respect Everton, and basically I concentrated on the training for Everton and the games that I was playing and the preseason trip.

...We never rest. If the manager wants you to play, you play. You do it for the club. You put the shirt on.

He pretty much mentions Everton in every other paragraph. He will be missed but he will forever be remembered a blue legend!

Links:

http://www.newyorkre...-join-red-bulls

http://www.newyorkre...-and-tim-howard

http://www.newyorkre...d-most-new-york

http://www.newyorkre...-coaching-staff