IGNORED

Olof Mellberg

According to swedens largest newspaper Aftonbladet, Everton has offered Olof Mellberg a contract. (free agent from june) however Olympiacos wants to keep the swedish international for another year.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/internationell/grekland/article14779158.ab

Why would Everton want him? 35 years old, quitting the swedish international team after the euros. Not very fast, injury prone. Even for free, why?

What do you think?

Oh god. We already have one ageing centre back, we don't need another. He wouldn't even get a game andwould struggle to make the bench unless we're shipping someone out.

I'd prefer not to take opportunities away from Duffy for him.

This, if it happens it's a complete piss take.

He was quality in his Aston Villa days but the only reason I can see him signing would be to add some form of expriance to the team. I woulden't expect him to play many games and if he did sign I'd see him as a McFadden-esque player, only playing him when we really need him. It would be a yes from me if he's for free and on low wages but I'd hate to have him as our main summer signing.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure he still has some good time left in him, if we are gunna lose Heitinga or Jags and cash in on Yobo then I have no problem bringing him in on a one year deal as back up. Reads the game brilliantly, and could teach the younger players a thing or two (if we happen to lose all of our defensive coaches). Let the kids go out on loan and get some experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We're meant to be trying to keep the wage bill down for players that we need. I can't belive some of the players we go in for. We need better than we already have, not old and slow, and a cheap coach in the future. Get your heads sorted! He's shite, David Weir's got just as much left as him. Euros or not, it's a discrace that we have to look at players of this ability. Our squad already has no pace whatsoever.

Edited by StevO
Punctuation

were meant to be trying to keep the wage bill down for players that we need cant belive some of the players we go in for we need better than we already have not old slow and a cheap coach in the future get your heads sorted he's shite david wiers got just as much left as him euros or not its a discrace that we have to look as players of this ability are squad already has no pace whatsoever.

....pause for breath....