IGNORED

Summer 2012 transfers - confirmed only please!

When a player signs for Madrid, do they have an obligation to say, 'I'm so pleased to be here, this is the biggest and best club side in the world' ?

And £30,000,000 ?, just seems like an exaggerated price?, but soccer transfers now are getting so damn ludicrous with regards to prices, it's really no surprise. Thought maybe he would have been better off at Tottenham, there's no guarantee of first team action in Spain but he seems pleased enough.

I think it's a lot of money to pay for Modric to be honest, I don't think I'd pay it but there you go. I think he'll do alright at Real as I don't think they would pay that much money if they were just going to stick him on the bench, Kaka looks to be out of the door so I can see him slowly creeping into the side and earning a Starting XI spot. Tottenham were a force last season but with Harry gone I can see them slowly slipping positons in the table, it's a good move for him IMO and if it was me I'd rather be playing for Madrid in sunny spain than at Spurs.

Greaves signed for Milan for a strange price (£99,999) or something back in the mid 1960s and hated his time abroad and couldn't wait to get back to North London, and I think even Laurie Cunningham didn't enjoy his time much in the Spanish captial I remember reading years ago. Sometimes a move abroad doesn't always work out for a player, and they eventually discover they were better off back in the UK. The proboscis aware Rush was another player with Juventus who couldn't wait to return to the shite after a lousy time in Turin.

"I couldn't get used to playing in Italy - it was like living in another country' FFS excl.png

I remember as recently as 15 years ago no big name players wanted to go to Madrid, and they hardly ever were in the news for transfers. A lot of the transfer activity went by them as top players went to Inter, and PSV and Juventus. It's only this century, again, that they have really come about as 'big time destination', but of course the club is much more recognized today once again, than it was in the mid to late 1990s. Still think, as agreed, that Modric, at 30 million pounds, is a ridiculous sum to pay, but it's their cash isn't it. I'm guessing he's worth nowhere near that. Anything over £20,000,000 seems questionable from what I know of the player.

I remember as recently as 15 years ago no big name players wanted to go to Madrid, and they hardly ever were in the news for transfers. A lot of the transfer activity went by them as top players went to Inter, and PSV and Juventus. It's only this century, again, that they have really come about as 'big time destination', but of course the club is much more recognized today once again, than it was in the mid to late 1990s. Still think, as agreed, that Modric, at 30 million pounds, is a ridiculous sum to pay, but it's their cash isn't it. I'm guessing he's worth nowhere near that. Anything over £20,000,000 seems questionable from what I know of the player.

I think Real Madrid won 2 Champions Leagues in the mid to late nineties and in that time period they bought Roberto Carlos (from Inter), Christian Panucci (from Milan), Christian Karembeu and Clarence Seedorf (both from Sampdoria), Fernando Morientes (from Zaragoza), Peja Mijatovic (from Valencia), Davor Suker (from Sevilla after Euro 96), Nicolas Anelka (from Arsenal), Steve McManaman (from Liverpool), etc. They always have been a top side and they always will be.

Also, Modric is one of the best deep lying playmakers around so seems a reasonable move and reasonable money (if you look at the money paid for mediocre players) to me.

No it was only one in 1998. Sure Anelka didn't arrive until about 1999 at the earliest, but was aware of Suker but couldn't really think of any other significant names, McManaman didn't sign until about 2001 if I remember. What I was trying to say was in the years leading up to the champions league win in '98, of the 1990s decade, the players they bought and sold didn't bring much attention if I remember, and the club, apart from the La Liga title, didn't do too well in Europe, and we never really heard about them much, unlike today and the last 10 or 12 years.

McManaman won the Champions League with Real in the 99-00 season, which was his first season at the club.

And they still attracted talent from the big Italian sides, even when the Serie A was probably the best league in the world at the time. Brazilian international Roberto Carlos, Dutch international Clarence Seedorf (who had won the Champions League with Ajax two seasons earlier)...

Edited by Steve_E

No it was only one in 1998. Sure Anelka didn't arrive until about 1999 at the earliest, but was aware of Suker but couldn't really think of any other significant names, McManaman didn't sign until about 2001 if I remember. What I was trying to say was in the years leading up to the champions league win in '98, of the 1990s decade, the players they bought and sold didn't bring much attention if I remember, and the club, apart from the La Liga title, didn't do too well in Europe, and we never really heard about them much, unlike today and the last 10 or 12 years.

Have you been reading the history books again Mr Kane ? You seem to have a fixation with dates. doh.gif

i've heard about this west ham way thing...in my lifetime i can never remember them playing anythin other than dog shite...maybe the odd flash when di canio was there

They still live in the Moore, Peters, Hurst, Bonds, Brooking, Lampard Snr era when, to be fair, they played some decent stuff.

All in and outs http://www.premierle...s-and-outs.html

Winners: Spurs, if they get Moutinho. Everton, have addressed all areas. Fulham, refused to be bullied and Berba is a huge coup. Honourable mention for Swansea/Laudrup.

Losers: Liverpool only have 2 strikers and both only know how to find the goal-posts. Man U and Arsenal (both didn't strengthen the right areas).

Money to burn: QPR, West Ham, and Sunderland.

The Good: Hazard, Michu, and Kagawa.

The Bad: Holiet, Borini, and Podolski.

The Ugly: Carroll, Adam, and Collins.

... and the odd: Richard Wright, Moses, and QPR!

Edited by pete0

Alessandro Del Piero who left Juventus earlier this year after a career spanning 19 seasons has moved to Australia to play in the A-League with Sydney FC. It's been rumoured that he will pocket $2 million Australian dollars a year and in the process of joining Sydney he turned down a move to Premier League strugglers Liverpool.