IGNORED

Would Moyes leave if we win League / FA Cup this year?

Matt

Would Moyes leave if we win League / FA Cup this year?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would Moyes leave if we win League / FA Cup this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Doesn't his contract run out this summer? I've said in the past I didn't think he'd renew again but now I'm not so sure.

Thats what I thought too. I hope Avin is right, that the second 10 years of Moyes' reign is more fruitful, and with no obvious alternatives, it might well happen.

Will depend on some big guns staying too like Mike says, though if Felli goes for 35m+ (which he easily could in this market), and we keep the rest, thats one hell of a chunk (+ TV money) for him to kick on with.... God knows how much his wage is going to be to keep him on though :unsure:

If we win a trophy, Moyes won't leave I'm sure of it, voted for a no.

He's had 10 years now, next end of season will be 11 years in charge, and if no trophy, the Moyes drought will continue, and after that I think another year or two still at it and then Moyes will call it a day. But it won't be end of next season for sure, some time after that, but not on the time stated.

Hope we can get through tonight, getting quite tense now.

I thought he was nailed on to go to Spurs in the summer, but this season it seems different so far, there is proper optimism from fans and Moyes. I can only see him going from us now if Fergie retires and Man Utd come in for him. (or possibly Chelsea if Roberto gets the sack(which knowing Chelsea is quite a high possibility)

I deffo think Man Utd would prefer DM over Pep.

I doubt it tbh Pep would bring a new bread of football to United and attract big players whereas Moyes is a good domestic type manager if that makes sense.

I can see Him here maybe for another 3 or 4 seasons then maybe move onto another club but alot can happen in that time not only to ourselves but other clubs.....

It won't be Manchester United, their fans just wouldn't accept him, with his (sometimes) negative attitudes and capitulations at the most pivotal moments, and that's been said before. Moyes is a good manager but doesn't have the right winning mentality and whenever close to an actual trophy won, it always ends in the same predicament. There has been talk of a return back to Glasgow Celtic one day in the future, but any given person could have been a success up there with the competition. When/If Moyes does vacate, sometimes I wish it was sooner than later, it will most likely be another EPL club, I don't think a switch to the continent will happen. We can only see what occurs when the time actually happens.

I don't know why folk feel Moyes doesn't have a winning mentality.

The times in question have generally been against far superior competition, such as the FA cup final etc, but how many times now have our 'budget squad' beaten the top sides? How many times have we turned City over? If Moyes managed United, I'm fairly sure United would be in good hands.

Moyes took a taxi into a Formula 1 race and over time has replaced every part of that taxi into a finely tuned racing car. He might be a few horsepower short of the top sides, but those top sides see him in their wing mirrors for sure, and every year they know if he had more funding, they'd see his proverbial indicator flash and pass them on the outside.

It's great saying those already with the fastest cars have a winning mentality, but put Ferguson, Mourinho etc in that taxi, and see if they would have gotten over the finish line, nevermind win the race.

Not the right place but I can't be bothered, no have the time to start a new thread. Sorry!

David Moyes: Not An Asshat By Nature Or Necessity?

Most people in football are largely despicable. David Moyes and the majority of his Everton side appear to buck this trend. Is it simply because the Toffees are skint?

On Monday night, Huddersfield forward James Vaughan flipped Blackpool goalkeeper Matthew Gilks into the air with a late, flying tackle. After acquiescing to gravity's insistence that he thump into the ground and lie there for a moment, Gilks stood back up and gestured to the referee; so far, so normal. However, because his gesture was a 'no worries, ref, no harm done', rather than 'send him off now, ref, I think he's ruptured my spleen', he was praised to the skies by Sky's commentators. Where the ordinarily decent has become the remarkable, it's time to turn the whole thing off and find something else to do.

For football, particularly top-flight football, is a shabby business, and the people involved - players, managers, owners, administrators - are largely despicable, in one way or another. Some are violent, others arrogant, others hypocritical, others vindictive. Some are probably corrupt, others simply dishonest, while plenty simply care about nothing but number one. Those in the suits lie to those in the stands, and those in the boots lie to those with the whistles. It's a mess.

This is why it's always dangerous to warm to somebody that doesn't initially appear to be a shuddering plantpot. Disappointment is almost inevitable. Take Danny Welbeck: before this season he was an entertaining, promising and occasionally brilliant forward with cracking hair and a fun celebration. Now he's just another diving goon (though the hair's still good). Football, in all its venal footballness, will get to them in the end. Everybody will let you down.

Well, almost everybody. David Moyes is alright.

To pre-empt a series of spluttering 'but what about the time he said this/did that/set fire to the other', the point is not that Moyes is a paragon of human virtue. The point is that he seems fundamentally decent, like the kind of a man who'd happily offer you a lift even if it was a bit out of his way, but wouldn't take advantage of a captive presence in the passenger seat to explain just how the country's gone to the dogs, share a wonderful investment opportunity requiring only a modest initial outlay, or outline the one true path by which a damned and mucky soul can be cleansed, saved and returned to Jesus.

It reflects in his team. Run down Everton's squad and there's a surprising (and refreshing) lack of douchery. Leon Osman is the Iniesta of the North, Leighton Baines is a Shropshire building society, Darron Gibson is David Gedge, and Tony Hibbert is Tony Hibbert. Phil Neville's greatest crimes amount to nothing more than an unwise tackle against Romania and having a sock-sucker of a brother. Then there's Marouane Fellaini, the scourge of Manchester United, who's taken it upon himself to resurrect the treasured English footballing tradition of being big, strong and having a comedy perm. Moyes has even got Duncan Ferguson helping with Everton's academy, which is both endearingly optimistic and mildly terrifying.

Sadly, though, as with everything these days, it comes down to money. Everton are skint. This enduring skintness means they have no choice but to operate in what is, more or less, the right way: sensible wages, intelligent purchases, a strong focus on the youth system. That, in turn, reflects well on their manager, who also gets plenty of credit for his loyalty and for playing decent football within such constraints. But there's the rub: his job's a hard one, one of the hardest in the league, and so there's precious little time or opportunity for bluster or knobbishness. Is he actually sound, or has he just got nothing to gain from being a pillock?

Perhaps if Everton were to strike oil under the Gwladys Street stand, or Moyes were to jump to a richer club, then he'd start muttering about conspiracies, whining about his opponents, and offering smaller teams' youth players hugely inflated salaries. Maybe we'd have to watch another acceptable human grasp the opportunity to de-decent themselves. But for the moment Everton's eminent sensibleness, when set against amongst the clamour, chicanery and dick-swinging of the rest of the Premier League, gives them and their manager a faintly noble air. Not being an asshat may not be much, but unless we're all going to start watching korfball, it'll have to do.

Not the right place but I can't be bothered, no have the time to start a new thread. Sorry!

Ditto.

Good to hear Neville saying that the prem is all or nothing now, and that no one is going for a draw anymore. Sounds like him and the team are pumped to go for it this season. I've got that exciting feeling (which is bad as an Evertonian as you know something will crash you down), and I'm hoping Leeds was the game that was meant to take it away unsure.png.

He may be committed to the club but are all fans committed to the manager?

Despite our fine start, Moyes has been up to his old tricks of before and our elimination midweek seemed a direct result of it. I was reading on a rival site a day or two ago, and once again, and I always agree, that we simply won't win anything (until a change of manager) as Moyes gets too defense minded too often, tampers with successful try outs, has a tendency to dissipate ethics that are a success or team line ups, and has a panic attack anytime we manage to get within striking distance of an actual trophy to win. These are serious hindrance factors if we ever want to win something again. Of course there's the talk of need for possible investment or stadium issues, but I wanted to solely concentrate on the manager on this. He picks the squad, makes the decisions, rotates the players etc. Moyes must realize, whatever occurs during and after, a fixture, eyes will invariably fall on him, as with most managerial figures.

Anybody who has seen what Moyes has done here, and wants him out is a foolish fan indeed.

For me, Moyes is the epitome of a football manager, and a huge part of our club, and our history, and there is no way I would swap him for a lousy piece of silverware and an afternoons piss up.

I've seen all what Moyes has done here, it's just that a fair number of people have wanted Moyes to leave in recent times, and I include myself in that. What we have is stability but no real hope of actually winning something again, although the fine league achievements are to be acknowledged, as with this season, but still a very long way to go. I even heard Moyes talk the other day that his main concern this season was to 'avoid relegation'. What the fuck is the man on about, what kind of objective or mindset is that? There is one reason in itself for me why we simply won't win anything with the Scot as manager, there is simply a lack of desire or achievement. Too many dour policies, safety first philosophies etc, it's been said before, but I can't change my thinking.

and what constitutes a lousy trophy? With our last success in any competition since 1995 we really can't be too choosy. I would have liked to have seen us as League Cup winners next year, it's not the best award in soccer, but still would have been something to call our own, and first time winners too.

Only the FA cup to focus on, we won't win the league, as way of an actual trophy to win again after 18 long years, and with Moyes as manager, we could go far, but you get to the crucial stages where you have stand up and be counted, and I feel it'll be a repeat of before when we nearly went all the way.

Moyes simply can't handle the big occasions. Good manager, without question, but not the man for finally ending our trophy drought, it's as clear an issue as that.

I'd swap any manager or player for silver wear as I believe competition is the life of any sport.

I think this delay in the contract is Moyes playing hard ball. He's had a decade of pulling of miracles with no money to spend. I think we are seeing Moyes force the boards hand - you want me to stay, give me a chance and stop strangling my team. Moyes will sign another contract but the board will have to keep the banks at bay and let him hold onto his top players.

I don't think he'll be leaving.

I too, if had a choice between keeping Moyes on board for further time and see where it takes us, or an actual trophy won with a different name in charge, would take the latter. Actually that sounds a bit obvious maybe, but really would hope to see a new face in the not too distant future. There's no chance the club would fire him, so that only leaves walking out on his own accord, and I don't think he'll do that. We could well be with him for some time to come, and there's even a remote chance he could even be at Goodison Park as long as Ferguson at Manchester United some would believe, but I'm sure it won't come to that, but only time will tell.

I'm at a loss sometimes with the selfish materialistic mentality of people.

Maybe you might swap your wife for a few thousand pounds, or maybe your best friend for a pair of tickets to an Oasis concert too. doh.gif

Moyes is a person first of all, as well as a manager. The reason we don't / haven't won anything has sod all to do with Moyes for obvious reasons, but the positives we have currently are much to do with him. To have no feelings towards the guys plight over the last decade, and not feel the slightest loyalty towards him, simply doesn't sit well with me.

How exactly will Everton winning a trophy make the slightest bit of difference to either of your lives ? It's not like either of you even go to games as fans. Heck, by your own admission Dalziel, you stated you didn't even watch the games not too long ago.

Swap Moyes for a League Cup? blink.gif