IGNORED

Oldham Athletic (FA Cup)

pete0

This game can't come soon enough. After yesterdays result I'm hoping we get a chance to see Stones play, who's already got experience playing in the league above the Latics, and see if he fits in well enough to jump straight in the team.

'The Latics' reward for the memorable victory over Liverpool is another home tie, this time against Liverpool's neighbours Everton. The fifth round FA Cup tie will take place on 16th February in a match that will again be televised by ITV. The massive game kicks off at 6:00pm and will provide an opportunity to do a Merseyside double.

The Latics have a recent history of doing well over Everton in cup games with a miraculous win at Goodison Park in the 2007/08 competition thanks to a solitary goal by Gary McDonald. Back in the 90s they also came out on top after some epic ties which went to replays and extra time. The live TV fee will bring in a very useful £135,850 which will go towards filling the coffers.'

http://www.oldhamath...516/index.shtml

Baxter is their top scorer with 9 goals, although overall Oldham have been pretty poor infront of goal this season averaging just shy of a goal per game. However, as most of us know (or know a kopite who can tell you) anything can happen in a cup game.

Edited by MikeO

I still think we'll win even though we've been poor lately. It's a must win game though because if we lose I don't see how we would bounce back, I'd like to see Jelavic start in this game and see if he can get his confidence up and I wouldn't mind if Stones started on the bench either and was brought on towards the end. I'm optemistic (as always) but I fear what could happen if we lose.

I think our downfall recently has been our inability to keep match threads about the match, so please ban anybody who wants to discuss the price of Sainsbury's chicken, or how 'irritated' they are at just about everything in the world (try walking 5 miles for water).

The FA cup may well be our priority now, and I think it should be treated like the last game of the season, in a 'survive or get relegated' scenario.

Oldham must be beaten. It is written.

I think this is the perfect time to drop Osman and Pienaar. Neither have been up to scratch recently and look jaded which isnt surprising as they have played almost every game over the winter period.

I would go 4-4-2 with both Vic & Jela as we might as well use this as a game to test the waters.

Gibson and Felli in the middle I presume, but who on the left? Oviedo?

________Howard

Stones Jags Duffy Baines

Osman Hitz Fellaini Oviedo

________Naismith

________Jelavic

Osman to help out defensively with Stones. Naismith behind Jelly just to see if it works. Baines told to take it easy and subbed for Mirallas (or Kennedy if we're comfortable) with 20 mins left to come on and outrun their tired legs.

The pitch is gonna be a mess and we need to keep it tight first 20 mins and dont give them the momentum. I'd go 442 and play Vic and Jelly and drop Ossie maybe be tempted to play Oviedo instead of Peanuts. I think we will have too much and win 0-2 Vic and Jelly

12/2

Leicester City vs. Huddersfield Town

16/2

Luton Town vs. Millwall

MK Dons vs. Barnsley

Arsenal vs. Blackburn Rovers

Oldham Athletic vs. Everton

17/2

Chelsea vs. Brentford

Manchester City vs. Leeds United

Huddersfield/Leicester vs. Wigan Athletic

18/2

Manchester United vs. Reading

27/2

Middlesbrough vs. Brentford/Chelsea

Those are the remaining games and I agree with pete, we really should expect to progress far in this tournement considering who is still in it and providing we miss the big names such as Manchester United and City.

Edited by Zoo

We need to beat Oldham first.

Yes, Oldham. A team that plays in League One, I'm sorry but if we can't beat them then we need to pack our bags and forget about Europe. They did a giant-killing with Liverpool last round but we really shouldn't be losing against teams like this. It's a must win game and I'm sure we will, our players will be aware of the threat they posses and will deal with it accordingly.

I guess this game all depends on where your priorities lie. Mine will always be with the league (unless we get to the semi's!) mainly due to the much better money on offer and thats why I would look to rotate. If the main priority is a cup run at this stage we definitely need to go with the big guns!

I'd take (winning) this years FA cup over any possible chance of european soccer. It's imperative the club wins something again after so many years away, and this season does represent a good chance to do something on this route.

If we can do this, and we should continue where those beauts fell, we have a place in the last eight once again, and after that, anything is possible. We have the capabilities to beat anyone when we can play. My only concern, is the nearer we get to a trophy to win, the team seems to get nervous or simply can't get past the final hurdles and Moyes just crumbles and simply can't deliver, as seen in years previous. Best to wait until we have won a couple more rounds this year but it's something you can't dismiss

Been some good games with Oldham in years past and this should be no different. I think we can do this but it won't be straight forward and they're going to be no pushovers.

Athletic 0 Everton 1

Yes, Oldham. A team that plays in League One, I'm sorry but if we can't beat them then we need to pack our bags and forget about Europe. They did a giant-killing with Liverpool last round but we really shouldn't be losing against teams like this. It's a must win game and I'm sure we will, our players will be aware of the threat they posses and will deal with it accordingly.

Because we never lose to lower league opposition do we?

You have to give some of the kids a break who won't remember some of the games from years back.

Once we even struggled to get past Woking who were non-league at the time, and it's not just the above, but didn't Bristol Rovers beat us in the League Cup when Moyes was manager ?, and then of course there's the Oldham game in 2008, before the weekend, and a string of other defeats to lower league oppositon in the last 20 years such as Leicester, Oxford if I remember, and Tranmere Rovers of all things.

Point being, this club has an awful record against lower league opposition in the cup tournaments, more so in the last 20 years, but hopefully that statistic will not continue at Boundary Park - the coldest soccer ground in the UK some say - and can make it through and try for another appearance in the final.

You have to give some of the kids a break who won't remember some of the games from years back.

3 years ago I was 16, so I remember the game pretty well actually.

I actually didn't mean my post to say 'we will win because we are Everton' my post was meant to say that 'we should win if we are serious about being a European team'. If we really see ourselves as on the same page as the top clubs around Europe then we should not see teams like Oldham Athletic as a threat.