IGNORED

Oldham Athletic (FA Cup)

pete0

FFS! We lost to a lower grade side that had nothing to lose. Get over it. The Duffy inclusion was good tactics whether it be positional or just to waste time...it was still a viable option at the time.

We were under a lot of pressure at the end but didn't make it easier on ourselves by just hoofing it out. We're supposed to be better than that!

Timmy made a few great saves that kept us in the game but ultimately it was his lack of judgement that led to the Oldham equaliser. Yes, I know you'll say he was impeded but please don't tell me that Swartzer or Cech couldn't have done better......because they would have!

We drew against a team we should have beaten, but that's the whole Everton story isn't it? Promise so much and deliver so little on the day

That must have been one surreal game you saw today.

I was real disappointed with some of their defenders today, wrapped around our players like fucking overcoats. They succeeded with this against LIverpool, and tried to duplicate a result again, and but it didn't quite work this time. Got angry with the way some of our players were manhandled at set pieces especially the build up to goals. There's nothing that can be done to change what occured earlier, but you would hope we can find enough to get through second time around, but there shouldn't have been no need for a replay. We should already be clean through to the last eight without an opposition side hanging on to our asses, but they did make it difficult today. Hopefully give them a taste of their own medicine in the replayed game

Got to say the result hasnt bothered me that much. Maybe in a league game if points were dropped, but its a cup game and we now have the league one minnows coming to Goodison.

Honestly if we don't play like that against Norwhich and get a decent win I think this will be well put out of everyone's mind.

I probably would have done the same thing re: the Duffy sub. If Jelavic was left on the park I still think they would have snatched it.

Move on fellas, at least we didn't lose! And Arsenal have been knocked out of the cup. We can only go up from here IMO.

Got to say the result hasnt bothered me that much. Maybe in a league game if points were dropped, but its a cup game and we now have the league one minnows coming to Goodison.

Honestly if we don't play like that against Norwhich and get a decent win I think this will be well put out of everyone's mind.

I probably would have done the same thing re: the Duffy sub. If Jelavic was left on the park I still think they would have snatched it.

Move on fellas, at least we didn't lose! And Arsenal have been knocked out of the cup. We can only go up from here IMO.

Amen brother!!!

We now have an extra game for our already tired and threadbare squad to face.

Another game against league one battlers to play the likes of Duffy, Oviedo, Vellios etc. I don't think we'll have any trouble beating them at Goodison, even playing a second string side. Call that smug or arrogant but they seemed to me like a team playing on adrenaline and heart in front of their home phones. They can't possibly play a third top notch game like they did today and against Liverpool when they come to Goodison.

i don't think they were so top notch - i thought we were bottom notch again against weak opposition -

the battle to win a game in the 3rd division and are in the relegation zone of the 3rd leaugue -

they fired their coach the week before the game -

if a side like this gives us uphill what are we going to do in Europe ?

what bothers me is that this struggle mentality has become the norm no matter who we play -

we seem to show all sides equal respect whether they are European champions or 3rd league relegaters

Another game against league one battlers to play the likes of Duffy, Oviedo, Vellios etc. I don't think we'll have any trouble beating them at Goodison, even playing a second string side. Call that smug or arrogant but they seemed to me like a team playing on adrenaline and heart in front of their home phones. They can't possibly play a third top notch game like they did today and against Liverpool when they come to Goodison.

They're not going to play though are they? We shouldn't have any trouble beating them at Goodison, no, but we shouldn't have had any trouble beating them at Boundary Park either! And they have beat us at Goodison in recent memory so they're not going to fear coming to our place. And based on how much we threatened them last night they shouldn't fear us in any way, shape or form.

When the draw was made I was wary, while others were saying it was a foregone conclusion. I'll be just as wary in the replay because we have not played well for quite some time, our players look knackered and play with no speed whatsoever.

They're not going to play though are they? We shouldn't have any trouble beating them at Goodison, no, but we shouldn't have had any trouble beating them at Boundary Park either! And they have beat us at Goodison in recent memory so they're not going to fear coming to our place. And based on how much we threatened them last night they shouldn't fear us in any way, shape or form.

When the draw was made I was wary, while others were saying it was a foregone conclusion. I'll be just as wary in the replay because we have not played well for quite some time, our players look knackered and play with no speed whatsoever.

Thing is though, if he did decide to play them it may wake up a few of the senior players and knock them into gear again.

But we all know he won't.

Edited by Simon

I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of watching us play at a snails pace and be as threatening as a toothless toddler. In that first half we had plenty of the ball but we just passed it around slowly. That allowed Oldham to always be organised in front of us and pretty much nullify us. We just passed it around in front of them and went nowhere. And it's the same predictable crap every time. Pass two yards, stop, pass two yards, pass sideways to Baines and hope for the best. We never go direct. By direct I don't mean hoofing it, but go down the middle every now and then. All Oldham had to do was stick someone tight to Baines and we were stopped. Croft did this brilliantly for them. And when Baines did manage to get a cross in his were floated shit things like Neville on the other side. Crosses should be whipped in for crying out loud! Our corners are the same and it's getting right on my tits. Even Cristiano Ronaldo would struggle to do anything with our crosses. Oldham's game plan was obviously to be very organised and then hit us on the break, which is something we're susceptible to. Their first goal was a perfect execution of this. We had a corner and they won the ball and broke away from us with speed. However, once again, it was a goal that came from a mistake. What the hell was Osman doing?! A complete and utter calamity, and by a very experienced player. Again. The goal was offside so it shouldn't have counted but it should never have got that far. I feared the worst at this point because we hadn't been a threat but our forwards worked in tandem to get us back in it. Long ball flicked on by Jelavic, Anichebe outmuscles their defender and finishes brilliantly. The pattern of play didn't really change despite us getting back on level terms but at half time I felt that if we just quickened things up and showed a bit more impetus then we'd get the win.

For once it was us that got the early goal straight after half time instead of us conceding. And it came from a corner put in with pace. Hallefuckinglujah! Ball was whipped in by Mirallas and Jags nodded it home. I felt this goal settled us right down and we actually started to show the impetus and oomph that had been missing from the first half. We looked threatening finally and like the Premier League side. We were in control of the game for the next 15 or so minutes and really should have extended our lead. We needed to extend our lead, IMO. They were always going be in the game while we were only one goal ahead. But, as has happened so many times this season, we blew our chances. One of those chances came from another whipped in cross from Mirallas. Take note! From around the 60 minute mark we started dropping deeper and deeper and Oldham began putting us under pressure. Due to us dropping deeper we had no out ball because there was no one to get on the end of our hoof's, so the ball was always coming straight back at us and the defence were getting no respite. It didn't help that the midfield were of no use in shielding the defence. It was like they weren't there tbh. The defence and Howard in particular were keeping us ahead. He pulled off a string of saves. I was getting extremely nervous at this point. Then when the Duffy sub was made I got even more nervous. Hand on heart when it was made I thought to myself "I hope an extra body in our penalty area doesn't fuck this up for us". I just felt that Howard was struggling to command his area as it was, and having another body in there was just going to make his job even harder. So it proved to be. We conceded from a corner that Howard had no chance of getting to due to all the bodies. Moyes was lauded for his sub winning the game against Bolton, so it's only right that he should be criticised for this sub going wrong. After all, it was made to see the game out (and waste time). It failed. It's not the first, or worst, mistake he'll make but it was a mistake in hindsight (just like the Bolton sub was a good one in hindsight), take it on the chin and move on.

A replay is the last thing we needed but we're still in the cup, so let's go and win the replay so it's not a bigger mess up.

Howard - He annoyed me by not playing it out from the back and just launching it long, when we'd not very often win the ball and Oldham would get it. However, he pulled off so many saves while we were under pressure towards the end of the game that I can forgive him. Due to him we very nearly got the win and that's why I gave him my MOTM vote.

Neville - Time is up I'm afraid. Coleman returning cannot come soon enough. He was a hindrance to us in this game. Every attack died as soon as the ball came to him, and his legs have well and truly gone meaning that he was hopeless defensively as well.

Jagielka and Distin - Apart from their shitty distribution (HOOOOOOOOF!) I thought they both had good games and stood up well to the barrage of aerial balls thrown their way. And obviously Jags got himself our second goal as well.

Baines - He probably had a better defensive game than an attacking one tbh. On very few occasions did he manage to get in good attacking positions due to being tightly marshalled by Croft and their right back. And when he did get an opening his delivery was mostly poor. It's been a real annoyance from him this season.

Anichebe - Despite not having an awful lot to work with I thought he had a pretty good game for the time he was on the pitch. He battled for everything without much luck and showed what a striker playing with confidence can do - one chance and he took it brilliantly. He showed experience to outmuscle the defender cleverly and then put it away with a great finish. I hope he was taken off more as a way not to make a knock worse rather than it being a serious injury.

Gibson - Another below par showing from him. I don't think he really affected the play at all, I barely noticed him for large chunks of the game.

Osman - I thought he was better than he has been lately but still didn't show nearly enough in a creative sense. The one thing he excelled at was being a spoiler tbh. He did great at pinching the ball off Oldham players.

Pienaar - He looked brighter than he has done for weeks last night. He seemed to have found energy again and had a fairly decent game. He at least was involved in the game and didn't look like he was running on empty. Didn't really manage to get the partnership with Baines firing though.

Fellaini - I thought he was in an out of the game and really didn't do enough for someone of his calibre. Like, he'd be in the game and influential and then you wouldn't see him do anything for a while. I didn't think he had a bad game, I just wanted more from him.

Jelavic - Like Anichebe, he didn't have a lot of service but the difference between the two due to confidence was massive. Where Anichebe took his chance from scraps, Jelavic blew his. He had a brilliant chance on the second half but skied it over the bar. The few times when he did look confident was when he drifted out wide to receive the ball. He didn't half put a brilliant ball across the box, but no one managed to finish it off. Maybe it was the effect of actually feeling the ball at his feet instead of watching it go flying over his head that added to his game?

Keep the ball up the other end of the pitch.

To be fair to DM, I think thats what he was trying to do. By bringing on Duff he was able to push Felli forward to try and pin the ball down further up the field. Didnt work but I think it was the right idea.

Felli has not been giving us much joy in the midfield in the last few games. Perhaps time to admit that he is better as the number 10?

atleast he scored a few when he was in the attacking role behind Jelavic

To be fair to DM, I think thats what he was trying to do. By bringing on Duff he was able to push Felli forward to try and pin the ball down further up the field. Didnt work but I think it was the right idea.

Felli has not been giving us much joy in the midfield in the last few games. Perhaps time to admit that he is better as the number 10?

atleast he scored a few when he was in the attacking role behind Jelavic

A central midfielder eg Hitz would have been the better option. Duffy was mostly to waste time and help with set pieces, a mid would have been to keep the ball rather than invite the pressure. It's a tactical move that I hate, and it back fires for Everton far too often.

Was it Wigan in the next rounds - on condition we win the replay - well that's a damn favorable draw you have to say. I don't see any real reason why we can't get to the semi-finals once again, as with last year, and of course 2009. We have a real good record in the competition, not just in recent years, but as a whole, and I expect it to continue this year.

Quietly confident we can get back to the semi-finals - but no fuck ups this time - and give Oldham some of their own in the replay and don't be intimidated. I can't believe they'll beat us for a third time in recent years.

Our season boils down to the replay now... Sad that it has come to this point. After today's performance at Norwich, we can kiss the league goodbye. I have no confidence on a Euro place through the league now...

Think you're right....sixth will be us or Liverpool and they have the momentum just now, we're actually behind them with a lot of bookies in the top six finish odds for probably the first time this season.

Got no great confidence about tomorrow but we can't lose surely? However unless things change drastically I can see the very real possibility of us losing to Wigan.

It was like that long before the weekend as I thought some time ago we weren't feasibly going to get champions league soccer anymore. Seemed a reality for a while that we could manage it once again after 2004/05 but it all fell away in recent weeks and I realized our best chance was with the UEFA cup and now even that hangs in the balance. I don't think it's all down to Moyes pissing around with his future intentions and everyone's in the dark as to what will occur, the team just hasn't performed lately and still can't eradicate the suffering of late goals. There was scope to really pull off a fine achievement once again this year a mere few weeks ago and while the european cup dream may have escaped, there are other avenues to explore and prizes to be obtained.

But If Oldham come away from Liverpool tomorrow and make the short journey back with a 6th round place in their hands, don't let it be a surprise

....I realized our best chance was with the UEFA cup....

DK....I think I may have mentioned this once or twice (or sixty times) before....but, again (turn your hearing aid on)....

The UEFA cup hasn't existed since 2009, it's called the Europa League now!!

I'm sure you just do this to screw my blood pressure.

Yeah I'm aware of what the competition is called now (Europa League) but I don't like the sound of it, or any damn changes for the most part. UEFA cup (while defunct) sounds better and I'm pleased enough with it. But it's still the same design trophy that Ipswich or Tottenham won when it was still the UEFA cup, so all they've done is change the damn name of it.

As with European Cup, Yes I'm fully aware it's the champions league now, has been since around 1994, but I like European Cup better.

It's not even champions of respective countries that participate now, and it's become a bit of a fucking debacle with any 3rd or 4th place side being eligible to qualify, so I just don't like the name of it that's all or even what they've done to the 'competition'