IGNORED

Eating, Drinking & Cooking Thread.

Zoo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RPG said:

I have had to seriously modify my diet due being diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis and have lost 22kg in 2 years (though, to be fair, I was a bit of a fat git to start with) but I have finally found a food that I enjoy, can swallow and which seems to mitigate at least some of the weight loss.

Every morning we do the school run and, after dropping my daughter off at school, we call in at the local Roti Canai hawker stall and spend the equivalent of 20p on my Roti Canai breakfast. Whoever said that the best things in life are free wasn't far wrong!

https://www.elmundoeats.com/en/homemade-roti-canai/

Do you have your roti with curry in the morning, or sweet sauce say like honey. I remember one of the Islands I went to in the Maldives the staff use to have fish curry left over from the previous day for breakfast.ย 

3 hours ago, RPG said:

Usually I have it with a lightly spiced dhal sauce, but yes, any curry sauce goes very well with it.

So this is your staple for breakfast, I suppose when you live full time in a country that isnโ€™t where you were born or raised you start to become immersed into their way of living, and if itโ€™s curry for breakfast then itโ€™s curry for breakfast. I eat whilst at home the same breakfast every day, which is 80g of porridge with frozen blueberries stirred in, followed by 2 soft boiled eggs, it gives me my fast sugars good fats and protein to start the day off in a good way nutritionally, and the bonus is I really enjoy it so havenโ€™t become bored of the same thing.ย 

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

It has just been phased out over here in the states. Even hearing someone refer to Asia as "the orient" takes me right back to the days when women and people of color were treated as second class citizens ๐Ÿ™ƒ

There is a Chinese restaurant in Swindon called the Chinese pagoda when it first opened it was claimed to be the biggest in Europe back in the mid 80โ€™s. It was owned by a consortium of Chinese businessmen and all the chefs were hired from Hong Kong and most of the waiters, it is still open today and on Sundays they advertise an all you can eat Oriental Buffet, and thatโ€™s born and bred Chinese using that terminology and not us white Europeans, here if something is described as Oriental or from the Orient it is just a geographical reference to countries in the Far East, and has no hidden racially motivated connotations.ย 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RPG said:

Brother in law runs his own food business here in Malaysia and occasionally goes out 'sampling' other outlet's offerings. Purely 'market research' of course! For the last few days he and his family have been staying with us and touring the local eateries in Penang and bringing various offerings home with them to canvass our opinions on.

Yesterday's offerings included a superb chicken biryani whilst they surpassed themselves today - bringing home a lamb biryani, spicy fish head curry (wife's favourite), another chicken biryani and more satay than you can shake a stick at. And this is just for myself and my wife. Totally trashed the diet but who cares.

Love a good curry, the hottest curry I ever had was a fish curry on my first trip to the Maldives, they did 2 versions a mild and hot, I had a couple of servings of the mild which was in eyes fairly hot, thinking I was mastering the heat went for the hot ๐Ÿฅต big mistake couldnโ€™t do it a couple of mouth fulls and I was hiccuping uncontrollably for ages, our waiter was a great lad and he had good laugh, he told me they have it spicer for breakfast ๐Ÿ™Œ

45 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Love a good curry, the hottest curry I ever had was a fish curry on my first trip to the Maldives, they did 2 versions a mild and hot, I had a couple of servings of the mild which was in eyes fairly hot, thinking I was mastering the heat went for the hot ๐Ÿฅต big mistake couldnโ€™t do it a couple of mouth fulls and I was hiccuping uncontrollably for ages, our waiter was a great lad and he had good laugh, he told me they have it spicer for breakfast ๐Ÿ™Œ

I used to live on curry, literally at times; when I lived in Wimbledon had an Indian place just round the corner and ate there six nights out of seven as a rule, takeaways if I was working late.

Since medical issues not so much, I know when I'm given a good one but can't fully appreciate it sadly.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

I used to live on curry, literally at times; when I lived in Wimbledon had an Indian place just round the corner and ate there six nights out of seven as a rule, takeaways if I was working late.

Since medical issues not so much, I know when I'm given a good one but can't fully appreciate it sadly.

Thatโ€™s called an addiction Mike ๐Ÿ˜‚ the kind I could easily fall into, shame how much your illness as affected that part of your life good food is a pleasure to consume as you know even more so if you can pair it with a good wine or beer.ย 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 22:01, Palfy said:

Master chef the professional is back, Marcus's skills test was very testing, in fairness though all 4 chef's did well in their skills tests. Nathan was obviously a red, the other 3 got through they loved Parinder's food.ย 

I'm finding Anna Haugh a serious distraction this series:wub:

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'm finding Anna Haugh a serious distraction this series:wub:

I know where you are coming from mate, I'm currently watching yesterdays episode they've just finished their skills test, must say not impressed, hopefully they do better with their own dishes.ย 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I know where you are coming from mate, I'm currently watching yesterdays episode they've just finished their skills test, must say not impressed, hopefully they do better with their own dishes.ย 

Was very surprised by a decision tonight; I reckon 99/100 I know which way they're going to go but every so often....sure you'll get what I'm talking about.