IGNORED

New Europa league rules. CL qualifying

Can't go for that at all. What are they doing there in the first place.

Being in the UEFA cup indiciates that you weren't good enough to be in the champions league in the first place so why should any winners be allowed to enter a more glamorous competition they don't deserve to even be in. Plastics may have won their little competition but they can just fuck off and sit back and watch some proper club sides win europe's biggest prize with a bit of flair and endeavor and not embarrass themselves in the process. Even then, it doesn't come into play for a season or two, so no real harm done as of now, but simply not for it.

Being in the UEFA cup indiciates that you weren't good enough to be in the champions league in the first place so why should any winners be allowed to enter a more glamorous competition they don't deserve to even be in. Plastics may have won their little competition but they can just fuck off and sit back and watch some proper club sides win europe's biggest prize with a bit of flair and endeavor and not embarrass themselves in the process. Even then, it doesn't come into play for a season or two, so no real harm done as of now, but simply not for it.

finishing 1st in all leagues provides a CL spot, why not the winner of the Europa League? It's an incentive to have it taken more seriously.

Would not Everton have qualified for Europe this year if the rule was in place right now? I think its a good rule and it raises the value of Europa League. Always good.

Whilst I agree that winning a lesser competition shouldn't give you access to the best one it would allow the Europa League to be taken more seriously. At the moment (before this rule was made) all you got for winning was a place in the Super Cup and some money (which isn't really a valuable prize to most teams that get to the final stages).

I'm happy with this change - I guess it means that the Europa League is back on the cards to stay after Platini announced that bonkers idea to merge the Europa and Champions League into one mentally long tournament.

I still think the Champions League is wrong to be honest. It is for Champions by name but how many teams that are not champions take part already?

Call it the European Super League or something, but not the Champions League. Rant over.

spot fkin on... really irritates me that, plus the fact its not a league.

Edited by Matt

I disagree, if the Champions League had just the champions then it would be boring. To have enough teams you'd have to put in the champions of small countries like Azerbaijan and Lithuania who will stand no chance if put into a group with the likes of Barcelona and Bayern Munich. What you would get was the same clubs in the knock-out stages every year because those from small countries don't stand a chance.

From having the best 2-3 teams from each country in the competition it becomes better for everyone.

I disagree, if the Champions League had just the champions then it would be boring. To have enough teams you'd have to put in the champions of small countries like Azerbaijan and Lithuania who will stand no chance if put into a group with the likes of Barcelona and Bayern Munich. What you would get was the same clubs in the knock-out stages every year because those from small countries don't stand a chance.

From having the best 2-3 teams from each country in the competition it becomes better for everyone.

Hows that different to now?

if its not going to be just champions of the respective leagues, then dont call it the champions league. If you qualify 3rd in your league and win, youre not the best champion, youre better than the champions for that competition. Its just the semantics that irritate me unsure.png

Edited by Matt

Hows that different to now?

Granted that you see teams like Barcelona and Munich in the final stages a lot but it would be a lot worse if you included just the 'champions'. At least at the moment you can get a few surprise results (i.e. - Celtic winning against Barcelona) but that would never happen if you had half of the teams in the competition from wacky countries.

If Barcelona played the champions of Kazakhstan then we'd be lucky to see the score less than 10-0.

Did the champions of these lesser nations gain entry to the competition when it was strictly for champions?

Don't know, I've only ever known the Champions League due to only being born in 1993. I can see where people are coming from in terms of wanting just the champions but in my personal opinion it just wouldn't work.

Don't know, I've only ever known the Champions League due to only being born in 1993. I can see where people are coming from in terms of wanting just the champions but in my personal opinion it just wouldn't work.

It used to work just fine. But my problem is not who take part but the name. It is called the Champions League. It is a cup competition and not a league and the majority of teams in it are NOT champions of any kind.

It used to, it was called the European Cup. It was rarely boring.

was it advertised or respected like it is now though?

Edit: apologies, read really boring instead of rarely boring!

Edited by Matt

It's merely another insult they've done to soccer in general from what some may remember.

Champions League is bullshit, because anyone from a second to fourth place team can qualify, from any given country, and end up winning the damn thing, I.E. Manchester United 1999, Liverpool 2005, and declared 'Best in Europe' when they're not even the best in their own goddamn country. It's a farce.

It's one reason why I always call it the European Cup, they changed the name sometime around 1995 and never was in favor of it. Was far better as it used to be with only league winners being able to represent, and this country had some fine winners going back enough with Celtic, Nottingham Forest and sorry to say, even Liverpool. Not only that, but they changed the name of the UEFA cup also, to the stupid 'Europa League' and never took to that either.

Once more, winners of the UEFA cup, or whatever they call the fucking thing now, shouldn't be eligible to participate in the European Cup. It's as it is, that you've been involved in a second-rate european tournament that you weren't good enough to be in Europe's elite competition to begin with.

There's been so much fucking around and tampering with rules and regulations, and name changes in recent years in the game, it's just another reason I've lost significant interest.

They think they're doing good or bringing a bit of flavor or interest to things, seems that they're unable to see they're only making a mess of everything.

Not only that, but they changed the name of the UEFA cup also, to the stupid 'Europa League' and never took to that either.

Once more, winners of the UEFA cup, or whatever they call the fucking thing now, shouldn't be eligible to participate in the European Cup. It's as it is, that you've been involved in a second-rate european tournament that you weren't good enough to be in Europe's elite competition to begin with.

rofl.gif .

I don't know either, but I'm assuming they changed the format for the Champions League because there weren't a lot of sides taking part (i.e. the champions of these lesser nations didn't get a place). Having more teams involved was simply a way to line people's pockets.

Don't really get the argument that if it was just the champions who got a place that it would be boring because it would be the same teams all the time. That's pretty much how it is now anyway. You make the point that you get a few surprise results now (Celtic beating Barca) but I don't even know why that's an argument because Celtic were champions of their respective league so they'd be there anyway!

Plus, how could watching the best of the best play each other be boring?!

Technically then it should be the League winners with the FA Cup & League Cup winners. Im pretty sure that would stop the big teams playing their kids and at least then it would be champions.

With all the qualifying stages it is already a ridiculously drawn out process and they should be looking at reducing the amount of teams that can participate and not increasing it.

Technically then it should be the League winners with the FA Cup & League Cup winners. Im pretty sure that would stop the big teams playing their kids and at least then it would be champions.

With all the qualifying stages it is already a ridiculously drawn out process and they should be looking at reducing the amount of teams that can participate and not increasing it.

I agree. I've said for a while the top 3 and the FA Cup winner should go in the champions league. If a CL spot was up for grabs the FA Cup would gain the respect and value it used to have. Could even charge more for sponsorship. The clubs would sell more tickets and not have to reduce prices.

• 1 year later...