IGNORED

Is Martinez going to breakup the back four?

As much as i have a few issues with our defenders as individuals, as a unit im not going to deny they have proven to be a good one under Moyes. So it does concern me slightly the fact that Martinez tends to play with 3 at the back, i think he would be mad to come in and break up the back four at the moment, which ultimately leads me on to the prospect of us lining up 4-3-3?

Howard

Coleman,Jags,Distin,Baines

Gibson,Barkley, ?

Mirallas,Jelavic, ?

I guess something like that, im just not convinced about 3 at the back with our current playing squad. How people think we will lineup? do you think Martinez will break up the defence or not?

Well let's start off by saying that maintaining the same lineup is pretty much asking for status quo and another 6-9 finish. Which isn't the worst thing in the world but is not the goal. That being said, I think the most malleable areas for us are midfield and up top. Of course, that doesn't mean we couldn't improve defensively. Distin just isn't an every game player anymore and so we desperately need a CB who can, at the least, rotate in. Further, I absolutely hate Jagielka at outside back, so we desperately need to add someone to compete with Coleman.

Edited by thoward18

Well let's start off by saying that maintaining the same lineup is pretty much asking for status quo and another 6-9 finish.

Can't agree with that. I think our back 4 is one of the best defensively and offensively, around.

The problem lies in front. Scoring more goals. For the first 8 games, we had the best shots/chances created in European football (ahead of Barca) but didn't finish them. Yes, we didn't hold too many clean sheets either but i put that down to two things. 1. Howard 2. Brain farts.

I think Martinez knows that we have a good thing at the back, i'd be very surprised if he changed it.

At Wigan, he had gash players, who's back 4 would get decimated on a regular basis, he tried something different to manipulate the opposition. Sometimes it worked, others it didn't.

I for one don't fear he'll change it. We've got too much of an obvious "good thing" to change.

Can't agree with that. I think our back 4 is one of the best defensively and offensively, around.

The problem lies in front. Scoring more goals. For the first 8 games, we had the best shots/chances created in European football (ahead of Barca) but didn't finish them. Yes, we didn't hold too many clean sheets either but i put that down to two things. 1. Howard 2. Brain farts.

I think Martinez knows that we have a good thing at the back, i'd be very surprised if he changed it.

At Wigan, he had gash players, who's back 4 would get decimated on a regular basis, he tried something different to manipulate the opposition. Sometimes it worked, others it didn't.

I for one don't fear he'll change it. We've got too much of an obvious "good thing" to change.

Read it again. I said that maintaining the same lineup is begging for the same results. I then said that changes are probably more likely to come in midfield and up front.

I'm fairly confident that the only thing preventing the usual backline from starting the first gam would be an injury, but we still need to add some depth and perhaps even competition for Distin and Coleman.

He will make some changes to the team, but let's remember the team isn't broken and in need of reparation, and it would be sensible to leave the defence alone until he gets his feet under the table and gets to know the squad.

It's not like he has to create a perfect team overnight, so subtleness might be a key factor, starting with the middle forwards. Distin is still good enough for now. All we need is options.

Edited by StevO

He will make 'some' changes to the team, but let's remember the team isn't 'broken' and in need of reparation, and it would be sensible to leave the defence alone until he gets his feet under the table and gets to know the squad.

It's not like he has to create a perfect team overnight, so subtleness might be a key factor, starting with the middle forwards. Distin is still good enough for now. All we need is options.

Distin is a freak of nature. I've never seen such an example of a player looking after himself and being blessed with ridiculous genetics that make him formidable at such an age, he's still as quick as anything, strong, good in the air and very rarely gets injured. He's in the same bracket as Cafu, Maldini etc as someone who is forever young.

Were not going to see much change as far as line-ups go. Most premier managers will maintain that they dont play systems as fans see them but rather get the individuals to play a certain way if the set-up.

We have a decent defensive system at the moment and RM is going to use that to his advantage, he is afetr all a premiership manager and as much as we like to criticise, to get to that level you must be close to the pinnacle.

I would expect to see RM start with pretty much the same system but introduce fringe players more and maybe look to have players in thier preferrred positions.

Examples:

Felli = defensive mid

Peanuts = Middle of the park

Maybe even mirallas = Central

Then i would also expect players like Barkley and Lundstram to get game time.

I am expecting to lose a few others like Velios and maybe even Duffy. I dont think that RM will waste too much time if he does not think they are up to it.

Thats isnt to say that they arent by the way, just from what i have saw for the under21s i dont think Velios is premier level and i think Duffy may suffer from his lack of pace, though Duffy could well excell if he learns to read the game well, and he will always be an arial threat for set pieces. The guy has scored a good amount of goals from his position.

Read it again. I said that maintaining the same lineup is begging for the same results. I then said that changes are probably more likely to come in midfield and up front.

I'm fairly confident that the only thing preventing the usual backline from starting the first gam would be an injury, but we still need to add some depth and perhaps even competition for Distin and Coleman.

Fair enough, I didn't read it like that, apologies.

Distin is a freak of nature. I've never seen such an example of a player looking after himself and being blessed with ridiculous genetics that make him formidable at such an age, he's still as quick as anything, strong, good in the air and very rarely gets injured. He's in the same bracket as Cafu, Maldini etc as someone who is forever young.

Could not stop thinking of this after I read it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1nbvplgElw

our two central defenders Jagielka and Distan is the heart of our defence and the reason for our success -

Everton had almost the least number of shots at their goal from the middle of the pitch - 60%

while our two flanks accounted for 40% of the shots - our left being the weakest -

our defence will change - how we will have to wait and see - but the changes will be at left or right back I believe

Howard

Coleman,Jags,Distin,Baines

Gibson,Barkley, ?

Mirallas,Jelavic, ?

Martinez played 433 for quite a while, he only changed to three at the back to try to make them more solid in the middle.

I think he will go for what you have, but add Fellaini and Pienaar. Until Fellaini goes we can only assume he will be here, no one has bid for him yet. I also think Osman will start over Barkley to begin with.

I think martinez has made it clear that he isn't going to make radical changes. He has stated that clearly. I think he will supplement the squad with the right players and then when he sees fit he will try different formations and systems, which is why pre season will be very interesting.

This would be the smartest move he could make. Do maintenance on you products to keep it in top form, but do not try to fix what is not broken.

I was talking about personnel. Our team has a very talented 1st 11. But...I am all for a change of tactics. I would love to see us play fancy possession, or creative attacking football. We have the dangerous FB's to play really exciting football in a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2, and if a miracle happens and Fellaini stays he would make a monster of an anchor man in that type of a formation. I could see him wining the ball, pressing forward, and us becoming a VERY dangerous counterattacking team. We do need someone who is creative(and pacey) in the middle of the pitch and going forward though.

Martinez played 433 for quite a while, he only changed to three at the back to try to make them more solid in the middle.

I think he will go for what you have, but add Fellaini and Pienaar. Until Fellaini goes we can only assume he will be here, no one has bid for him yet. I also think Osman will start over Barkley to begin with.

I agree with you on Fellaini, i actually think he will still be here next season, he was quite poor after Christmas, and im not sure he's as in demand as the papers will have us all believe, the big teams are starting to make their signings, and like you said so far no one has bid for him. Pienaar was gash last season though, His partnership with Baines looked like it has been sussed out by every team in the league now, and im not sure what else Pienaar has to offer, we really should be looking at some sort of left winger imo. As for Osman, i just really don't see him anymore than a bench player now.

I agree with you on Fellaini, i actually think he will still be here next season, he was quite poor after Christmas, and im not sure he's as in demand as the papers will have us all believe, the big teams are starting to make their signings, and like you said so far no one has bid for him. Pienaar was gash last season though, His partnership with Baines looked like it has been sussed out by every team in the league now, and im not sure what else Pienaar has to offer, we really should be looking at some sort of left winger imo. As for Osman, i just really don't see him anymore than a bench player now.

I think you raise a couple of valid points there. Regarding Baines and Pienaar - I feel a martinez being more football minded will want to see far less predictability in our play, he certainly will be mindful as to how thay can be stopped as an opposition manager.

I agree regarding Osman, for me he should spend the last 20 minutes of every game he plays on the bench unless he sorts out his stamina. For me he can be a great asset in a possession based game, but he is a bit of a liability if we are looking to press, win the ball back etc etc.

Pienaar may be on the decline somewhat, great on his day but for me he has a few too many stinkers.