IGNORED

Questions about obscure rules in sport

Cornish Steve

Here's another obscure rule in football. A few seconds into stoppage time, a defender heads the ball back to his goalie. Even before the latter touches the ball, the referee issues a red card to the defender. Why?

Is this a real rule or is it the consequence of an interpretation? Can't think of a rule that prevents what you are stating. Sorry to be pedantic. But why change the habits of a lifetime? :dont know:

How about this one?

A defender and the 'keeper (of the same team) argue about the speed of the 'keeper's distribution when in play. During the argument, the defender strikes at the 'keeper, misses and dislodges the ball from the 'keeper's grasp. An attacker seizes on the opportunity and takes a shot, but misses and the ball goes over the goal line wide of the goal.

How do you restart the game?

Edited by Oztoffee

Or this one?

The 'keeper takes a goalkick with a massive following wind. The ball sails over all the players into the opposing goal area, the bounce deceives the 'keeper and the ball goes over the goal line.

A relatively common occurrence in Wellington NZ with high winds and short pitches.

Or this one?

The 'keeper takes a goalkick with a massive following wind. The ball sails over all the players into the opposing goal area, the bounce deceives the 'keeper and the ball goes over the goal line.

A relatively common occurrence in Wellington NZ with high winds and short pitches.

If it's a goal then it's a kick off as normal surely. If the ball goes out of play but not into the goal then it's a goal kick.

I must be misunderstanding the question because I don't see how that's obscure :huh:.

Here's another obscure rule in football. A few seconds into stoppage time, a defender heads the ball back to his goalie. Even before the latter touches the ball, the referee issues a red card to the defender. Why?

Is this a real rule or is it the consequence of an interpretation? Can't think of a rule that prevents what you are stating. Sorry to be pedantic. But why change the habits of a lifetime? :dont know:

The defender was already on a yellow card. Other than that, it's a real rule.

If it's a goal then it's a kick off as normal surely. If the ball goes out of play but not into the goal then it's a goal kick.

I must be misunderstanding the question because I don't see how that's obscure :huh:.

I was thinking the same thing. It would just be a goal and kick off as normal

Sorry guys my question about goalkicks etc was incorrect. I was thinking about 3 other things at the same time. It should have read 'a huge headwind' and 'back over the players and into the kicker's own goal'. Just to confuse the whole thing...the ball passed out of the penalty area before being blown back so was definitely in play.

Sorry again about the confusion.

This really is a curly one Cornish. Love to see what the rule is.

First off, the defender was already on a yellow card, so a second yellow would get him sent off. Second, the fact that it's stoppage time is completely irrelevant. What happens is that, with the ball at the defender's feet, he kicks it in the air and then heads back to the goalie. This, according to the rules, means a yellow card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-pass_rule

"As the rule specifically requires that the pass be done with intention and through a kick, an infraction would not occur if a player uses their head, chest or knee to make the pass nor would it be an infraction if a keeper recovers a ball that was merely last touched by a team mate. It would however be an infraction if a player was to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to their goalkeeper, such as kicking the ball up and then using their head. If a player were to use such a deliberate trick then they must be issued a caution."

Edited by Cornish Steve

Sorry guys my question about goalkicks etc was incorrect. I was thinking about 3 other things at the same time. It should have read 'a huge headwind' and 'back over the players and into the kicker's own goal'. Just to confuse the whole thing...the ball passed out of the penalty area before being blown back so was definitely in play.Sorry again about the confusion.

In that case yeah fair enough, you can't score an own goal from a goal kick. Not sure how the game would be re-started though!

Yes, can't score an own goal direct from a goal kick.

As the ball passed out of the area and was in play, after the ball crossed the line into the goal the way to restart would be a corner to the opposing team. However, if the 'keeper tried to prevent a goal but only succeeded in helping it in, the restart

would be an indirect free kick as the goalkeeper had played the ball twice. Had the ball not passed out of the area the game

would be restarted by retaking the goal kick as the ball was never deemed to be in play.

"As the rule specifically requires that the pass be done with intention and through a kick, an infraction would not occur if a

player uses their head, chest or knee to make the pass nor would it be an infraction if a keeper recovers a ball that was

merely last touched by a team mate. It would however be an infraction if a player was to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to their goalkeeper, such as kicking the ball up and then using their head. If a player were to use such a deliberate trick then they must be issued a caution."

Wow, a real curly one! Would never have thought of that. However I like my reason better if only because I'm an egotistical

bastard. :)

Congrats!

In the remote Island of Pachingo, in the southwest corner of the Pacific, the locals play a game called "muhwah'~n'ee-ong." Here is the scenario: The fluter, who is part of the home team wrestles the pigbladder from the lackey. But meanwhile on the sidelines, the corner umpire has just noticed that the visiting team has orange head-dresses, when the rules clearly state that during a waxing moon, head-dresses must be white-tipped. The corner umpire is about to blow the conch shell but at that moment the lackey has stuffed the pigbladder in the pen, shutting out all calapcinators from approaching the octogon. How does the senior umpire handle this situation?

i) Dismiss the point-calapcinator, deflate the pigbladder, and start the match anew on the next lunar month.

ii) Fashion a mogwai shed out of Pandan leaves and allow the visiting team to consult their spirit-coaches for a minimum of two days

iii) Restart the match on the brushy hillocks, but allow desicated goats bollocks to be substituted for the pigbladder.

iv) Wait for western colonization, assimilation, and the arrival of television, Doritos, and post-modern ennui.

In the remote Island of Pachingo, in the southwest corner of the Pacific, the locals play a game called "muhwah'~n'ee-ong." Here is the scenario: The fluter, who is part of the home team wrestles the pigbladder from the lackey. But meanwhile on the sidelines, the corner umpire has just noticed that the visiting team has orange head-dresses, when the rules clearly state that during a waxing moon, head-dresses must be white-tipped. The corner umpire is about to blow the conch shell but at that moment the lackey has stuffed the pigbladder in the pen, shutting out all calapcinators from approaching the octogon. How does the senior umpire handle this situation?

i) Dismiss the point-calapcinator, deflate the pigbladder, and start the match anew on the next lunar month.

ii) Fashion a mogwai shed out of Pandan leaves and allow the visiting team to consult their spirit-coaches for a minimum of two days

iii) Restart the match on the brushy hillocks, but allow desicated goats bollocks to be substituted for the pigbladder.

iv) Wait for western colonization, assimilation, and the arrival of television, Doritos, and post-modern ennui.

iii of course. Everybody knows that :rolleyes:. Next!

Okay, here's a basketball question (don't think we've had one for that sport yet!):

Late in a game, a player is fouled and awarded two free throws. He makes his first free throw. On his second free throw attempt, he goes through his regular throwing motion but holds onto the ball instead of releasing it. Not expecting the attempt to be a fake, players from the other team jump into the lane prematurely. The shooter then puts up his free throw attempt for real, but one of the opposing players who is already standing in the lane jumps up and swats it away.

What is the correct call in this situation?

Loses free throw? You're not allowed to fake when shooting one, right?

No, fake free throws aren't allowed, but neither are lane violations or goaltending. You are correct in guessing that the referee will not award the free throw, but the more important part of the question that has to be answered is, what is the correct next play for the referee to declare in this scenario? (Or to put it more simply, who gets the ball and where?)

Basketball?

Quick guys ban the Americans before this deteriorates :rofl:

Actually I am only saying that because I don't have a clue what the question is about LOL LOL

And now you know how I feel every time a cricket or snooker question comes around! :D

Anyway, since there haven't been any more takers, here's the answer to my question:

A fake free throw attempt is a rules violation by the shooter. If the free throw shooter commits a violation before or simultaneous to any violations by the opposing team, only the shooter's violation is charged - violations that occurred after it are ignored. So the lane violation and the goaltending are both irrelevant.

The free throw attempt is lost because of the violation - no re-take - and when there's a fake free throw violation on the shooter's second attempt the defending team gets the ball on the sideline, even with the free throw line.

And now you know how I feel every time a cricket or snooker question comes around! :D

Anyway, since there haven't been any more takers, here's the answer to my question:

A fake free throw attempt is a rules violation by the shooter. If the free throw shooter commits a violation before or simultaneous to any violations by the opposing team, only the shooter's violation is charged - violations that occurred after it are ignored. So the lane violation and the goaltending are both irrelevant.

The free throw attempt is lost because of the violation - no re-take - and when there's a fake free throw violation on the shooter's second attempt the defending team gets the ball on the sideline, even with the free throw line.

so who kicks off? or whatever it is called.

Edited by Rubecula

The fluter of course; unless the pigsbladder has been inadvertently touched by the point-calapcinator while out of play; in which case the match is abandoned because it will plainly end in stalemate and much death if continued.

Doh :rolleyes:.

And death is against the rules?

How about this one?

A defender and the 'keeper (of the same team) argue about the speed of the 'keeper's distribution when in play. During the argument, the defender strikes at the 'keeper, misses and dislodges the ball from the 'keeper's grasp. An attacker seizes on the opportunity and takes a shot, but misses and the ball goes over the goal line wide of the goal.

Thought I'd reinstate this on from a wee while back as nobody answered. Could be of course that nobody's interested. Boo hoo