IGNORED

Bobby v Moyes - if you could have moyes back now would you?

Moyes overstayed his welcome -

he did a great job stabalizing the Everton ship and prevented us from getting relegated -

but once the storm was over he forgot to raise the sails again which we needed to speedily go in the right direction -

we ended up drifting around the 7th 8th longitude aimlessly until the new skipper Martinez raised the sails of the Everton ship again -

at least we are moving in the right direction for a change -

thanx to Captain Roberto

I have a new response to the continued justification of giving Moyes a break being that "he saved us from relegation"

JOE ROYLE - he did that, won a trophy and didn't drag another 7 years of highly rewarded, sand bagging, dour, stale, "give me more money or I will hold you to ransom over lack of transfer funds"...

Not to say you are, but at the moment it is the only thing that is stopping Moyes receiving pure hatred from all corners.

I think he did a little bit more than just save us from relegation, the majority of the squad now were all Moyes players. There cant be many managers who have ever walked into a job were the foundations were already in place and they took over such a healthy squad

Martinez must have been rubbing his hands with glee, he took over a squad full of quality players were the morale and togetherness was renowned throughout the country

Martinez is a breath of fresh air and he looks like he is going to take us on to another level but it doesnt mean you should just erase all the good work Moyes did and he doesnt deserve pure hatred from all corners

I dont get were you are going with Joe Royle either. I think the vast majority of Evertonians appreciate the good job Royle did and think he probably left too soon. Had Kenwright been in the chair instead of Johnson he probably would have stayed a lot longer and I dont think that would have been a bad thing

I think he did a little bit more than just save us from relegation, the majority of the squad now were all Moyes players. There cant be many managers who have ever walked into a job were the foundations were already in place and they took over such a healthy squad

Martinez must have been rubbing his hands with glee, he took over a squad full of quality players were the morale and togetherness was renowned throughout the country

Martinez is a breath of fresh air and he looks like he is going to take us on to another level but it doesnt mean you should just erase all the good work Moyes did and he doesnt deserve pure hatred from all corners

I dont get were you are going with Joe Royle either. I think the vast majority of Evertonians appreciate the good job Royle did and think he probably left too soon. Had Kenwright been in the chair instead of Johnson he probably would have stayed a lot longer and I dont think that would have been a bad thing

I can name one manager who walked into the job with the foundations already in place for him Edited by Tricky Trev

I can name one manager who walked into the job with the foundations already in place for him

Really???

I presume you mean Moyes, if so I couldnt disagree more

He has walked into a bit of a poisoned chalice IMO. Yes United are Champions but if you compare their squad to the likes of City and Chelsea, or even Spurs, The Shite and Arsenal then I dont think they come out very favourably

This is the worst United squad in over a decade and add to that the fact he was replacing the man who is widely regarded as one of the best managers of all time then I think there is unimagineable pressure on him.

Dont get me wrong I dont feel sorry for him one little bit, it was his decison to take that on so as far as Im concerned he has made his bed and so now has to lie in it

Really???

I presume you mean Moyes, if so I couldnt disagree more

He has walked into a bit of a poisoned chalice IMO. Yes United are Champions but if you compare their squad to the likes of City and Chelsea, or even Spurs, The Shite and Arsenal then I dont think they come out very favourably

This is the worst United squad in over a decade and add to that the fact he was replacing the man who is widely regarded as one of the best managers of all time then I think there is unimagineable pressure on him.

Dont get me wrong I dont feel sorry for him one little bit, it was his decison to take that on so as far as Im concerned he has made his bed and so now has to lie in it

You could say a lot of the same things about our squad though. Aging, limited midfield and a striker that couldnt score for toffee. We have no money to do anything about it either without selling.

Imo they have both made a very similar step up and whereas one has embraced it and made the necessary changes, the other has pretty much copied his predesessors squad and team selections.

The only thing he has changed are his backroom staff as he has brought his sandbaggers with him. The likes of Phelan or Meulessen (sp?) would have stood up to him too much for his liking im sure so he brought in his yes man Round and Neville/Giggs who have no experience as a top flight coach.

Id say that the Man U squad was in better shape than Evertons back in August. It was Moyes constant BS in the transfer season that built for the season he is having and the first major difference between DM and RM.

RM came into Everton with a plan in his head, ready for action. He knew what he needed to make the squad better and got it done quickly.

The second major difference is the attitude towards the opponents.

Third difference is how the players play. No more sweeping crosses to wingers from defenders with two left feet. Keep the ball on the ground and keep possession. The difference here is not massive and I do think DM started this at Everton. At times over the past 2-3 seasons Everton played really attractive football but it seems as if RM gets the team to do this more consistently.

I think the best RM has done is to create a CM partnership that really really works. Spice that up with Evertons strengths over the past two seasons which is the wings and add a striker that knows where the goal is an voila, a working team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Moyes wouldn't be able to get assistant manager anymore. He would be arguing saying we have to defend this one goal lead and Martinez would be shouting attack ;-).

Seriously though, Moyes did an exceptional job at Everton. Transformed the team into what it is today, competing for top 4.

Also at United he needs to be given time....I do believe in a couple of years United will have the best defence in the league.

This is a different time for Everton and one that I am enjoying. This is an Everton who isn't afraid of anyone and that is down to Martinez. We don't go into games with our head down thinking we need to defend, defend, defend. Instead we are going to the top teams and competing with them. Outplayed Arsenal at the Emirates. Which team has done that in the last couple of years. That is the difference with Everton with Martinez and Moyes. With Martinez we have all started believing again! :)

I seriously believe people have let several months of his behaviour cloud everything the man has done for us. No wonder we get called bitter!

I agree, people think it is all him and are asking for his head. There are backroom staff as well, do you honestly think Moyes could walk into a job and get full control over who he wants, how much we should be paying etc. No he might say his targets Baines, Fellaini etc but it is up to his staff to come up with an offer. I don't think he would have bidded 8 million for Baines.

You wonder why they couldn't sign Fabregas or anything.....because they weren't offering enough. If they bidded 35-40 million Barca would have accepted it.

Moyes was a great manager for Everton and like I said thank him for what he has done at the club. All of the players who are at the club are down to Moyes and the scouts (who have both gone to United).

I seriously believe people have let several months of his behaviour cloud everything the man has done for us. No wonder we get called bitter!

I think you mean Moyes decided to cloud what he did for us - we didn't decide that he accept a job in January, run his contract down, go after our prized assets on the cheap and then insult us in the media.

Shine the light, the man is being seen for what he is, a good to average middle club manager who sandbagged his way to a far better reputation than he deserved. He has very little regard for us so why should we for him?

I think you mean Moyes decided to cloud what he did for us - we didn't decide that he accept a job in January, run his contract down, go after our prized assets on the cheap and then insult us in the media.

Shine the light, the man is being seen for what he is, a good to average middle club manager who sandbagged his way to a far better reputation than he deserved. He has very little regard for us so why should we for him?

you know full well why we should hold him with regard...

He did a decent job for us but as the article says who knows what more could have been done? It was like we should have been kissing his arse and thanking him for that he was our manager. He ran his contract down knowing he was going. Is that showing regard for us?

Possibly the same regard as someone who threw 11 years back in your face as if it never counted for anything, have I missed something? Was he working for free? Were we meant to finish much lower than we did (based on salary he delivered exactly as projected).

I'm pretty sure divorces don't work on the basis of "I know hubbies left me for a younger model and is trying to get custody of the kids,,, but hey the first few years of marriage were lovely, I think I'll be nice to him"

He's made his bed, he can lie in it.

On what grounds?

Yes, he did rescue us from the Smith era, but as far as i can see, Martinez is making Moyes time at the club looking like he underachieved, it's mostly the same players, but watching them it's like they are a different side altogether. I think we will go a lot further with Roberto in charge than we ever would have with Moyes in charge. With Moyes we had stability imo, with Martinez we have a future imo.

He took us from relegation fodder to regular European contenders for the first time since the late 80s. He took a ragtag group of players to a squad full of internationals, with a seriously tight team spirit and determination to fight to the last minute. That's more than a decent job and shouldn't be forgotten despite his behaviour since he left, nor his behaviour in the last 2-3 years were he was setting expectations / making excuses.

From where we were before he came and where we were when he left, I'm eternally grateful. I'm even more grateful that we got Martinez to tweak and improve on a solid base.

Possibly the same regard as someone who threw 11 years back in your face as if it never counted for anything, have I missed something? Was he working for free? Were we meant to finish much lower than we did (based on salary he delivered exactly as projected).

I'm pretty sure divorces don't work on the basis of "I know hubbies left me for a younger model and is trying to get custody of the kids,,, but hey the first few years of marriage were lovely, I think I'll be nice to him"

He's made his bed, he can lie in it.

wheres the broken record smilie?

On what grounds?

Yes, he did rescue us from the Smith era, but as far as i can see, Martinez is making Moyes time at the club looking like he underachieved, it's mostly the same players, but watching them it's like they are a different side altogether. I think we will go a lot further with Roberto in charge than we ever would have with Moyes in charge. With Moyes we had stability imo, with Martinez we have a future imo.

rescuing us from the Smith, Walker, Johnson era was not an easy thing!

Just for the record (again), I'm not defending his dumbing down over the last couple of years - hell, I bought into it. And I'm not defending his actions since he left, which have really grated on me. But I'm not going to be blinded by hatred so I can ignore the plethora of good that he did for Everton...

rescuing us from the Smith, Walker, Johnson era was not an easy thing!

Just for the record (again), I'm not defending his dumbing down over the last couple of years - hell, I bought into it. And I'm not defending his actions since he left, which have really grated on me. But I'm not going to be blinded by hatred so I can ignore the plethora of good that he did for Everton...

Me neither, the current squad(that is performing so well) is made up of players he mostly signed, and we have always had a solid back four under him, But i do think some of the praise is a bit OTT, that's all.