IGNORED

What are we missing to become top four team?

davies

Y

That guy is going to be a hell of a player, he is a real dynamo!

Yep, Draxler is a sensational talent. The amount of attacking midfielders that Spain and Germany have (and are continually producing) is disgusting and bordering on cheating :rofl:

Let's get a grip here people. Just watched Cheski v Citeh and we're not close to these teams in terms of quality, not in any one position but as an overall squad. Our defence leaks like sieve and midfield progresses sideways pretty much as they've done for years.

Citeh and Utd are well below par so far this season and we are only 2 points off 2nd but that's because this season is so tight as Spurs were real lucky at the weekend to come away with 3 points and Soton have a better goal difference but nobody's touting them for top 4.

It's all in the 38 games....long term resilience and the ability to win games when things are going down the crapper.....and this takes a squad in depth, something we're never likely to see in my lifetime unless we find a fairy godmother/godfather.

We may make it one season on pure guts but the big Euro competition the next season will seem like an eternity as we'd have to play our best team twice a week to have any real chance at making it to the knock-out stages and that would certainly compromise our league chances (injuries etc).

Am I a knocker?......no just a realist and dedicated Blues fan who wants the club to do it's best with what we're able to get.. It's wonderful to dream and I've done my share too but let's not let get too carried away here.

Beware of what you wish for!

That doesn't stop the dreaming though eh?

Edited by Oztoffee

I see you point but think you are doing us a dis-service to be honest.

I dont think we are on the same par as the top four but i do think we have a team that is capable of holding our own and progressing in the Europa league.

Ok City showed us up a bit with some of there play, but we also caused them huge problems in the first 45 minutes, and not through blood and guts play but through intelligent football. Has any other team done that to us this season? or is it us making teams chase us.... soemthing i havent witnessed for a good 15 years.

It is too early to get carried away, but i have to hold my hat to the boys and say that i have not enjoyed football so much for a long while.

Friends of mine all talk about how much better we are to watch these days. A city fan friend of mine said there was a relief in the second half when we died away a bit because they were shocked with how dangerous we were in the first half.

In my opinion we are missing that box to box midfileder that can take the pressure of us by charging down the field with real menace after recieving the ball outside our own penalty area. Barkley can do it at times but he trys to hard at the moment instead of relaxing and enjoying himself.

A pacy energetic midfielder would take us to another level.

We may make it one season on pure guts but the big Euro competition the next season will seem like an eternity as we'd have to play our best team twice a week to have any real chance at making it to the knock-out stages and that would certainly compromise our league chances (injuries etc).

Well what's the point of competing at all if our only goal each year is to stay with the big boys without actually progressing? I understand that a season in the champions league will most likely end in a drop of our league position, but it will make the club more revenue and a more attractive place for promising players. That and it shows a little bit of ambition. I'd rather we have a couple of seasons in the champions league at the expense of our domestic position than just be treading water and sitting in the same place every year going no where.

Well what's the point of competing at all if our only goal each year is to stay with the big boys without actually progressing? I understand that a season in the champions league will most likely end in a drop of our league position, but it will make the club more revenue and a more attractive place for promising players. That and it shows a little bit of ambition. I'd rather we have a couple of seasons in the champions league at the expense of our domestic position than just be treading water and sitting in the same place every year going no where.

Now, now, Pearso, didn't you know as an Evertonian you're just supposed to accept your lot and not aspire to anything more? :P

I understand where youre coming from, but you cant have one without the other. If our league position drops, we dont qualify. To do both, we need depth and quality, across the team.

I don't think our league position was adversely affected by our recent European campaigns.....seem to remember we coped very well with two games a week.

I don't think our league position was adversely affected by our recent European campaigns.....seem to remember we coped very well with two games a week.

thats because we were out of the domestic cups, and Europa before Christmas, in most cases, and not a whole season.

Checked....in 07/08, which was our most successful UEFA Cup we played ten extra games and finished fifth in the league.

09/10 (with eight extra games) we finished eighth, and that was down to relegation form up until Christmas :(.

So one season backs your point and the other one totally disproves it :lol:.

Glad that's sorted :unsure:.

what about brayn ruiz and berbertov and this lad called maxim from Stuttgart

I don't know why Stuttgart would want to let him go, and he certainly wouldn't be cheap, considering the form he's in and how many years he has left on his contract. But, I would love to have him!

Berba still has life in him, but he's an assbag. And Bryan Ruiz... I wouldn't really know what to do with him.

I don't know why Stuttgart would want to let him go, and he certainly wouldn't be cheap, considering the form he's in and how many years he has left on his contract. But, I would love to have him!

Berba still has life in him, but he's an assbag. And Bryan Ruiz... I wouldn't really know what to do with him.

Certainly sounds decent

http://squawka.com/news/2013/10/29/alexandru-maxim/2013102930033

Oh definitely. I saw him a few times last year, and he looked great. He's even better this year it seems. But, I'm pretty sure he's the only good thing going for Stuttgart. So, if they don't need to cash in, I'm not sure they will let him go.

Did we need investment between 1984 - 87 when we won two league championships. No, we simply assembled a very good side that played for each other at a discount price and Kendall eventually proved to be an effective manager. No thrills players or big transfer names that cost the earth, just everyone pulling their weight and the end product was a hugely successful - if short lived - time of things.

Unfortunately today, and going over old ground or otherwise, teams today become successful due to cash injections and rich takeovers. I wouldn't want Everton to necessarily take that path, and am still against it, but in order to compete now and really challenge beyond our current position, sometimes I see no alternative

Money will eventually kill the game, but in the meantime, it could well be the only way forward some will argue. But we still achieved champions league soccer in 2004 - 05 without it though, and just players working hard, so why not a duplication again sometime soon. Say it every time, but it's not always about the money or fucking greed and avarice. It's been proven - at least by ourselves - that you can be successful without need of major cash injections or selling out to rich ownerships. Whether it's the way forward or not, I will remain adamant that I really wouldn't want Everton Football Club to take that route.

Ganso's career has went into freefall, but anyone who can sort him out would have a very, very good player on their hands. From what I have seen of Daimao he is alright but he's not amazing imo.

I donno if Thorgan Hazard is nepotism or if he's the real deal, but it's pretty clear that he'll never be as good as Eden is going to be. Don't know a lot about Maxim.

Ganso's career has went into freefall, but anyone who can sort him out would have a very, very good player on their hands. From what I have seen of Daimao he is alright but he's not amazing imo.

I donno if Thorgan Hazard is nepotism or if he's the real deal, but it's pretty clear that he'll never be as good as Eden is going to be. Don't know a lot about Maxim.

Thorgan Hazard is the real deal. He played first team football for the first time last season as a left winger and led a mid table side to a second place finish, only losing out on the title in a head to head duel with Anderlecht on the final day of the season. He also earned his first call-up and cap for Belgium's national team at the end of last season. He moved to his more natural position as an attacking midfielder this season and he's become incredibly decisive: he's got 9 goals and 9 assists in 13 league games this season (which means that he's outgrown the Belgian league to me). Very skilled player and we should be looking into him. I think he realises he's not going to get the role he wants at Chelsea (considering Lukaku and De Bruyne's struggles) and I don't think Chelsea will want to piss off Eden by keeping him and loaning him out again against his wishes.

Edited by Steve_E

Thorgan Hazard is the real deal. He played first team football for the first time last season as a left winger and led a mid table side to a second place finish, only losing out on the title in a head to head duel with Anderlecht on the final day of the season. He also earned his first call-up and cap for Belgium's national team at the end of last season. He moved to his more natural position as an attacking midfielder this season and he's become incredibly decisive: he's got 9 goals and 9 assists in 13 league games this season (which means that he's outgrown the Belgian league to me). Very skilled player and we should be looking into him. I think he realises he's not going to get the role he wants at Chelsea (considering Lukaku and De Bruyne's struggles) and I don't think Chelsea will want to piss off Eden by keeping him and loaning him out again against his wishes.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure if the hype is because of who his brother is, but he did look talented in his own right. Only saw him now and then, but from what you say he's better than I suggested and I was being harsh. Hopefully he fulfils his own potential, rather than living in the shadow of his brother.

Isn't one of the other Hazards a footballer too? Read somewhere that they lived 10 yards from a football park and would play every day by going through a hole in the wall, or something.

Fair enough, I wasn't sure if the hype is because of who his brother is, but he did look talented in his own right. Only saw him now and then, but from what you say he's better than I suggested and I was being harsh. Hopefully he fulfils his own potential, rather than living in the shadow of his brother.

Isn't one of the other Hazards a footballer too? Read somewhere that they lived 10 yards from a football park and would play every day by going through a hole in the wall, or something.

There's 4 brothers in total: Eden, Thorgan, Kylian and Ethan (but he's only 9 years old). Kylian is 17 and supposedly quite good too.

There's 4 brothers in total: Eden, Thorgan, Kylian and Ethan (but he's only 9 years old). Kylian is 17 and supposedly quite good too.

Fair enough. It's difficult to tell how many of them genuinely have the talent and how many are just getting into teams through familial links. I'd be astounded if all four of them end up being good enough to play pro at the highest level. Perhaps I'm just cynical because nepotism has played a part in football. Ethan especially is still very young and it's impossible to judge hoe well he'll turn out at this stage.

Fair enough. It's difficult to tell how many of them genuinely have the talent and how many are just getting into teams through familial links. I'd be astounded if all four of them end up being good enough to play pro at the highest level. Perhaps I'm just cynical because nepotism has played a part in football. Ethan especially is still very young and it's impossible to judge hoe well he'll turn out at this stage.

I had the same concerns about Thorgan when he came back to Belgium, but he's looked fantastic so far. Both of them will have long international careers imo. I have never seen Kylian play so I can only repeat what I read and hear about him. And I remember an article that said that Ethan hadn't showed any passion for football, though I can find a more recent article on the brothers that says he's started to play for his hometown's team as well.