IGNORED

What are we missing to become top four team?

davies

The easy answer is a top class striker and more goals from midfield. Hopefully Lukaku can go some way towards providing the former, while an ever improving Barkley and settled Mirallas can provide the later.

I honestly believe our back 4 (5 including Howard) is up to the standard of a top 4 team as it stands. Just.

Giroud isn't sh1te he is coming into his own. Now that Arsenal have bought Ozil who can attack and feed the ball to Giroud he will be in the top 5 of goalscorers come end of the season.

I think we are okay on the CM front, as now we have Gibson, McCarthy, Barry, Osman and Barkley can play there. We need some more wingers, MIrallas is good but we need it on both sides. I would have liked us to go for someone like Moses or Sinclair. Lets face it we are never going to get somebody like Mata, Hazard, Nani. So a decent striker and winger.

Our back four is strong enough this season....but we do need a replacements CB soonish. Distin won't last forever and Heitinga is error prone and Alcaraz is good but not near Distin quality.

For me there is still no truly blinding pace in the team and little or no improvisation other than Pienaar trying to dribble and falling over when brushed. I also feel we lack a genuine tackle - although I think Barry will address that issue. Our wide players are foils for our attacking full backs and that is OK but we are a bit predictable.

And obviously we need a commanding centre forward with an eye for a goal.

Hi guys, a Spanish fan following Roberto Martínez here since his Wigan early days. Last time I logged into a forum like this, I was following Juande Ramos, so I hope luck changes this time... even though EFC has already 3 points and THFC had 2 in 8 games when Juande was fired!

Everton just needs to develop the Academy into something real. I believe a club with a strong academy, and fielding an almost homegrown XI, can hold on their talents and improve its luck. Of course, signings are important but this team with the likes of Rooney and Rodwell would be an instant top-4 challenger. Let's hope that a) Barkley develops as (the way I see it "the next-gen Gerrard") and B) he stays his whole career.

Following on, I wonder whether it's possible to plot a graph to correlate last season's final league position with the amount of money spent on transfers as compared to other independent variables - such as passing accuracy, chances created, amount of possession, longevity of players on the team, and so on. It could be quite revealing, and it would either silence or justify those who claim that money is the be-all and end-all.

A bit bored at the office today, working on creating this graph now. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a reliable source for "chances created" during the 2012-13 season for all 20 premier league teams. If anyone on here would be so kind as to lend me a link, I will produce a graph based on total squad cost 2012-13

I think RM might go to south America a try and find a falaco type of striker next summer if he could and we could persuade Chelsea let us have lukaku back next year then that will be a good strike force plus if we could get someone like tom ince and maybe a number 10 in from spain like cazorla type of player on the cheap and Fernando on a free next year and couple of freebies and loans that could push us on to the next level

not sure I can add to this to be honest, most points have been covered.

However, the 1 thing I think we need is a goalscorer. Why? To convert the plethora of chances we create each game and turn the draws into wins.

We can talk about money all day long but the fact is we have broken the top 4 once with no money and a shite team. I think most on here know my stance; money helps, but its not necessarily the answer.

Like I said, the reason I point out a goalscorer (preferably a greedy goalscorer) is simply because we make enough chances to win games. Defensively we are usually very good, midfield has been improved and we have attacking quality in Mirallas, Barkley, Deul, Pienaar, Baines and Coleman. Im not including Kone and Jela there because they seem to be more workers than attackers, if that makes sense.

Lukaku fits the bill. He is powerful, young, has just enough arrogance to take people on and shoot (:o) whilst being level-headed enough to play with his teammates. I think he will prove to be our best, albeit temporary, signing in terms of helping the team as a whole.

Realistically we need a power house in midfield. To be honest I am a little gutted about Fernando. I know it was supposed to be a curve ball to get McCarthy but I work with a Porto fan and when we got linked to him he was genuinely worried. He said Fernando is such a player who has been the best player at Porto for years and is surprised he hasn't got called up to Brazil yet and was hoping he wouldn't go. He told me Fernando for Porto fans is what Baines is to us. Hard to believe but.....his words not mine.

Also need a decent striker (Lukaku) is good but we will only have him for one season. Jelavic needs to step up to the plate. He has the skill but just can't get them in, in the PL.

Also a decent CB I would love someone who is up and coming and when Distin retired would be able to step up and play...Again Duffy is good but is he up to being PL standard....?

Realistically we need a power house in midfield. To be honest I am a little gutted about Fernando. I know it was supposed to be a curve ball to get McCarthy but I work with a Porto fan and when we got linked to him he was genuinely worried. He said Fernando is such a player who has been the best player at Porto for years and is surprised he hasn't got called up to Brazil yet and was hoping he wouldn't go. He told me Fernando for Porto fans is what Baines is to us. Hard to believe but.....his words not mine.

Also need a decent striker (Lukaku) is good but we will only have him for one season. Jelavic needs to step up to the plate. He has the skill but just can't get them in, in the PL.

Also a decent CB I would love someone who is up and coming and when Distin retired would be able to step up and play...Again Duffy is good but is he up to being PL standard....?

I agree with you when you say we need that deep-lying, "power-house" midfielder. Barry may end up signing long-term, but he's too old to be looked at as a replacement. Fernando would've been perfect, but I'm sure Martinez is already thinking far ahead for a replacement to Fellaini. I trust him completely with the team.

You can't give the captaincy to a loan player.

And why would you want to? What kind of signal would that send to the actual Everton players?

Jags is the best option imo. Dont really think changing captain would do much, deffo not enough to be the difference between a top 4 team and a top 8 team.

Money and consistency is the answer. A team with our economy can break into the top 4 every now and then but not on a regular basis. We dont have the luxury of having expensive star players on the bench, so money definitely helps

• 4 weeks later...

we've got 2 of them already, Dave. Not to mention just cashed in on one. I'd happily take more on (the kid from Utd looks excellent) but I think they're going to have a premium now, they seem to be the fashionable at the moment (mostly because they're really good!)

Midfield is still the biggest need, even with McCarthy and Barry now on the team. What about bringing in Kigawa as part of the winter window deal for Baines? (Please don't shoot me!!). Clearly, Kigawa is out of favour with DM, yet he has an excellent track record. Would he fit with our new style of play? I think he would.

Midfield is still the biggest need, even with McCarthy and Barry now on the team. What about bringing in Kigawa as part of the winter window deal for Baines? (Please don't shoot me!!). Clearly, Kigawa is out of favour with DM, yet he has an excellent track record. Would he fit with our new style of play? I think he would.

Kagawa would never come here.

He's also someone for Barkley's spot, unless we'd move Ross to more of a box-to-box role. Martinez compared him to Ballack recently but I think it would be best to keep him where he is for now.

Edited by Steve_E

So... after a fair few games, Ive come to the conclusion that we need the following:

1. a real striker - Lukaku will do the job this season but we do need the right 20m striker as a permanent fixture to our team.

2. a LW - Pienaar is and never was a LW, but his partnership with Baines is more than a good enough replacement. When that duo isnt there, or isnt firing, we have issues down that wing.

3. a young, solid CB - Stones I hear you cry! truth is, we havent seen enough of him. Im sure he will come good, good enough to replace Jags in 2 years. But we have no replacement for Distin, and that needs resolving.

I think you've pretty much covered all the bases in terms of positions that need strengthening. I think in an ideal world Duffy would step into Distin's place in the near future and provide that aerial presence that we'd otherwise be lacking in defence. In reality I think we'll look to cash in on Duffy after his loan finishes and bring in a Distin clone like Bruno Martins Indi.

also we need youth. players 29 and older are baines, jags, distin, alcaraz, howard, hibbert, gibson, osman, barry, and pienaar. so although we're a strong squad, we need to replace all those people with better younger players. granted we have stones, barkley, joel, mccarthy, coleman, and oviedo, but that's not a whole squad.

so i'd say youth and depth.

We need to sign Barry and get another DM as cover - Osman and Gibson not reliable and consistent enough for next level -

we need a right wing so Coleman can fullfil his primary role of defending - Delefue should be used while we have him - he looked wasted on the left yesterday- Naismith catches the eye with all his hard work but he has very little impact on the game - Jack Russel in a dog fight -

Give Kone more opportunities or sell him - last season he scored 1 less goal than Roony and the same as Sturridge,Defoe,Tevez,Fletcher and some others - he is wasted at the moment - i feel very sorry for him - but yes we need a long term top class striker -

Barkley might also be tried on the right wing while he brushes up on his one touch passing - then we need a new distributor in the engine room