IGNORED

Will Roberto help us win a trophy?

Just as a matter of interest , what would people consider as a successful first season for Martinez?

If we don't win a Cup and finish outside the top five does that make him a failure or given the state of transition we are in would you accept no trophy and top 10?

I'd be happy to accept that, but it's hard not to want more with the start we've made so far :yay: .

Without saying I told you so I have been pretty much spot on as to how we would fair.

The games against supposed cannon fodder straight from the off are nothing to go on. The worst games to really play as they never really have a go. I think he did the right thing in giving the likes of jelavic, Naismith Osman a real go before throwing his new signings in. The massage is out... Play well and keep your place, if someone comes in and does well it's theirs to lose.

That second half performance was one where we had a great blend of players who can impose his style perfectly. Oviedo for pienaar, McCarthy for Osman, and the beast for jelavic seen us with 3 players who wanted to take the ball and hold it and pass it.

Top 6 is a target and semi finals of a cup.

I would be happy enough with a top half finish and nothing more as long as we are showing progression throughout the season. We have already seen this season that some of the players are struggling to adapt with what has only really been a small change so far.

If we can be competitive against the big boys and start showing some real potential and dominance then I would like to think we could start with a real bang next season.

Just as a matter of interest , what would people consider as a successful first season for Martinez?

If we don't win a Cup and finish outside the top five does that make him a failure or given the state of transition we are in would you accept no trophy and top 10?

I think one or two were seriously thinking of great things, or more than the capabilities of the current set-up when Martinez arrived, because of his FA Cup win with a poor Wigan Athletic side, and seemed to forget that same side suffered a relegation at the same time.

Don't know about others, but I would be content with simply challenging for a european berth again, no relegation or lower league table concerns with looking over your shoulder, and a decent run in the domestic cup tournaments, getting to the quarter finals, and whatever occurs after that, is a bonus.

I'm not expecting a trophy in Martinez' first season. I'm not expecting great things in Martinez' first season, simply an improvement on (the often banal and lackluster endeavors of) David Moyes and getting at teams a little more than before - and as with yesterday, getting at opposition sides when a win is to be had, and not just be content with a point - and showing that little extra initiative during play and so far, it hasn't worked too badly.

Jesus Christ trig, ya can't start using the 'if Lukaku and Baines' one already... He's only scored one goal. Give it, he had a brilliant debut, he will have to do it consistantly for us... I'll give you Baines though.

We havr a really strong squad at the moment and given RM's playing mentality, I think we should be definitely looking at least the semi's in either cup, gi en the draw's

You're right Brett, but I do think we'd struggle against Spurs, Citeh, Manure etc. with a few key individuals out. If we were to win anything (European spot, Carling Cup, FA Cup) we are more than likely going to have to play a top club.

Our squad players can definately get us through with wins/draws against the usual bottom half of the table teams.

You can't 'win' anything by way of a european berth. It's an achievement, not an honor (or trophy to win)

Seeing as the club sometimes struggles against lower level opposition in this league, especially at home as in recent seasons, it will be interesting to see how Martinez does this time around. But we've already had an excellent result over one of the actual heavyweights of this league, albeit a little fortunate, but after time, and when we go up against the Tottenhams and Arsenals of the league home and away from here on, with the new manager, it will be interesting to see, but as before, and once again, you feel it's a little premature to be making proper judgments.

You know damn well what was being said. As in, finishing in a european berth, doesn't get you a trophy for that season. Moyes did well, very well, in actual fact, with the often fine finishes and entry into europe here and there in his time here, but it still didn't constitute an actual trophy won at end of seasons. I for one, would have been content with a 17th place finish in just one of those years, if it meant either the League Cup, or FA Cup, on display to show for it. Some are real eager to see this club win something again after so many years away.

You know damn well what was being said. As in, finishing in a european berth, doesn't get you a trophy for that season. Moyes did well, very well, in actual fact, with the often fine finishes and entry into europe here and there in his time here, but it still didn't constitute an actual trophy won at end of seasons. I for one, would have been content with a 17th place finish in just one of those years, if it meant either the League Cup, or FA Cup, on display to show for it. Some are real eager to see this club win something again after so many years away.

Ah...so you meant you don't win anything by way of a European berth :huh:.

Clear to me now.

I've been thinking how amazing it would be for Roberto to win a trophy in his first season just to show moyes how it should be done. Even better beating united in final. I can dream right?

I'm afraid its one less trophy to win now for this season, and don't get me wrong, I'm about as disappointed tonight as the next individual, as I thought we could go far in this, but have to remain optimistic about the FA cup when Martinez will be more familiar to us and the players and hopefully He can win back to back FA Cup successes. If we can do that in May, I will look back on tonight and not be giving two fucks about the League Cup.

Saw he put out a strong-ish side although Howard was left out of goal tonight in favor of Robles and Mirallas was brought on a little too late to make a difference but still would have thought we would have had enough to get a result today. Wasn't expecting great things in his first season here but there will always be reaction after a significant defeat.

He will never win a trophy with us if he treats the FA Cup with the same disrespect as he did with the League Cup last night

I will never understand why Everton refuse to take this trophy seriously when it is clearly the easiest route to ending our trophy drought and earning a place in European football

I dont think there was disprespect in there tbh. We had plenty of1st teamers in the first 11, or at the very least players who are more than capable of playing regularly for the first team.

We were the better team and we should have won. The players got a little complacent dropped their levels and Martinez didnt rectify it soon enough. I think it was more to do with individual effort that poor player selection.

I dont think there was disprespect in there tbh. We had plenty of1st teamers in the first 11, or at the very least players who are more than capable of playing regularly for the first team.

We were the better team and we should have won. The players got a little complacent dropped their levels and Martinez didnt rectify it soon enough. I think it was more to do with individual effort that poor player selection.

I agree here. I feel the only players on the pitch last night that were questionable first-teamers were Stones, Oviedo, and Deulofeu. We have to give them a start somewhere and be able to assess them. I wouldn't label it as disrespect.

He put out a strong enough side, but as Moyes did with the defeat (in last seasons League Cup tournament) to Leeds United (on this day incidentally one year ago today) played without a first choice goalkeeper, in favor of a reserve name, and both times we suffered a defeat. Now as the goalkeeper is the last line of defense for any team, I would play the first choice name and not take any risks, but both times, the respective managers took a chance and we suffered as a result of it.

This was easily our best chance this season to get a winnable trophy and end 19 years of unrest and while the initial anger of yesterdays defeat has now subsided for the greater part, still feel some frustration at the exit and it wasn't taken as seriously as it could have been.

If people will take risks, then they have to accept the consequences as a result of it. As Martinez picks the team and decides on what, can't really look beyond him as a scapegoat, although the players that were put out last night, had the capabilities - and could have done better.

Guest John Burns

It is not winning a trophy that matters, it is keeping the club in the top half of the table that matters. The rest comes from off the pitch. Getting the new stadium built with rapid-transit line adjacent to get Evertonians in and out fast - we don't want an inaccessible place like the Riverside or LFC's tart up. An then the image of the club. One of progress and dynamism must be portrayed. There is a long way to go. A long way.

Guest John Burns

He will never win a trophy with us if he treats the FA Cup with the same disrespect as he did with the League Cup last night

I will never understand why Everton refuse to take this trophy seriously when it is clearly the easiest route to ending our trophy drought and earning a place in European football

It is a way of getting players injured and being relegated, as is the Europa Cup.

I think people are losing sight of the fact that it is a long season which requires a squad...That team was more than good enough to beat fulham as the first half clearly proved. Name a prem team that fielded a full strength first 11 in the round just gone?

The league is bread and butter. To supplement the first 11 we need to ensure we have a squad of players who we know what they can do... you cant get that from reserve team football and training alone. There was not one player who started who will not have to feature for a few games in the league this year. We had just played a tough 90 minutes against chelsea and some players need a rest, barkley for one.

The answer to the question is - yes we will win a trophy under martinez, it will involve using a squad of players and not relying on the best 11 every game. Otherwise Martin O'Neill would have a bag full of trophies.

Moyes never set his sights firmly on the league cup did he? Which is kind of surprising for me for a team that's firmly in that 6-8 spot each season but not quite strong yet to break through further a competition like the league cup would seem like a real oppurtinity.

I think Martinez will surely focus more on the cups but would a cup run hinder your league position? I think it would to be honest, but then again i'm not as well informed about the depth of the squad.

Guest John Burns

A bottom half finish in the league with a day out at Wembley and winning a cup would be more than acceptable I'd say

Bottom half and looking the relegation trap door all season. NO THANKS! They can keep their silver pots.