IGNORED

Will Roberto help us win a trophy?

I've really enjoyed Roberto so far with his positivity and embracing of the youth. Just want to put this question out there.

Will we win a trophy with Roberto? If so which one?

I believe we will, and have a feeling it will be the FA or Carling Cup. But I'd be plenty satisfied with that.

I believe we will, and have a feeling it will be the FA or Carling Cup. But I'd be plenty satisfied with that.

There the only cups we can win though..... :-D

Seriously, I think we will win a cup but not for a few years yet. I think we will go out in the second round of the FA cup and get to the quarters of the league cup. Next season we will get further but it will be 2015/2016 when we win a trophy. I can read the future btw ;-)

I hope he does win a trophy and achieves it in his first year. With the likes of Barry, McCarthy, Kone and Lukaku being the major contributors to the feat.

The reason being I don't want that deluded arrogant idiot to try and stake some claim something along the lines of....

"it doesn't surprise me that Everton won the F.A Cup. Many of the players in that team I know very well and they are top players. I spent 11 years building at that club and it is pleasing to see that the way I left it has enabled their new manager to win a trophy for them"

That kinda came from the Felli/Baines unsettling quotes of:- Roberto is in a new job and I’m sure he’ll get to understand how Everton work. I know exactly how Everton work. I think I’ve signed every player at Everton, so I know exactly how they work

Lets look at the times where we have come up short to win a cup.... Chelsea 1-0 up..... I think Martinez would have had us pressing for a killer second goal, not sat back like we were, or leaving it far too late to realise that yellow carded hibbert was being doubled up on which led to drogbas equaliser and the belated sub of jacobsen. Liverpool at wembley - just seriously.... I think any other manager would have dealt with that better.

So, with our first 11, a little bit of luck, good draws and I think the fella knows how to win a cup. He did it with Wigan, the pressure will be off, he has nothing to prove.... let the good times roll.

We should have won one last season - but Moyes was out-coached at Goodison by someone. You need a lot of luck but a lot of people might see us as a good bet for one of the domestic knock out trophies. The reality is they are the only things we are seriously competing for other than 6th place < which you cannot parade on an open top bus>

I know people who massively undervalue the League Cup - but I think winning something gives the club a lift - not to mention a European berth.

The league cup was devalued some years ago when Arsene and Fergie used it as a youth competition. In recent years it has had a bit of a resurgence.

Winning any trophy instills a winners mentality to the players - a feeling of reward outside of their enourmous pay packets. Gives the club a great feelgood factor, look at the FA Cuo win in 95, was brilliant, we weren't the best team in terms of talent but it created a brilliant spirit.

"Winning any trophy instills a winners mentality to the players"

You say that but look at Wigan last season and Birmingham. Both teams won but got relegated, I think Portsmouth were another team that got relegated after winning...

When was the FA Cup final? May? A week doesn't give much chance to get yourself out of relegation even if the Wigan players were instilled with the mentality of Olympians.

"Winning any trophy instills a winners mentality to the players"

You say that but look at Wigan last season and Birmingham. Both teams won but got relegated, I think Portsmouth were another team that got relegated after winning...

Over 38 games a club that relies on the first core 11 staying fit and not having their defence decimated is going to face the trap door with more certainty than a Sunderland who have many average players who can replace...

A cup competition is an indication of a team and managers potential and mentality, the league finish is an indication of a clubs stability.

Martinez beat Man City using tactics, the same way that he got wigan to beat us. A winning mentality.

Birmingham, Portsmouth and Wigan were going to be in the dogfight. A better example is Swansea. Their cup run did not effect their season and they have just heaped more glory on themselves by a. matching The Shite on Monday and b. winning at The Mestia last night.

Wigan returned to London a few days after their Cup triumph and gave Arsenal a game for over an hour. As pointed out by Hafnia thier season was devastated by injuries to key players - a couple of whom even missed the win over City. We have a much stronger squad than Wigan did.

Birmingham, Portsmouth and Wigan were going to be in the dogfight. A better example is Swansea. Their cup run did not effect their season and they have just heaped more glory on themselves by a. matching The Shite on Monday and b. winning at The Mestia last night.

Wigan returned to London a few days after their Cup triumph and gave Arsenal a game for over an hour. As pointed out by Hafnia thier season was devastated by injuries to key players - a couple of whom even missed the win over City. We have a much stronger squad than Wigan did.

Add to that the idea that Wigan effectively had a choice, go guns blazing and win the cup but likely suffer relegation, or take it easy in the cup and focus on trying to beat arsenal at the Emirates in the middle of strong spell of form for them. They opted to go for the trophy, and they got it, thanks in large part to our new manager.

The winning mentality can only apply to a squad that can sustain it. Wigan and Birmingham had average squads with hard grafters and a few players of quality, we have a squad full of quality. If we win a cup we'll have the experience to not let it effect our league aspirations negatively. Plus Wigan and Birmingham both knew it's all they could hope to get out of their seasons, while we have much more to aim for.

Swansea are in the middle ground, they did drop off after their cup win and towards the end of the season looked quite weak. This season however they have recovered their strength and are showing the determination that gets caked in after winning a trophy. I wouldn't be surprised if they made the last 16 in Europa.

We've come close before, and if we can overturn Fulham, I reckon we have as good a chance as any at winning the league cup. If we can get it, it means at the very least european football next season, so I really hope RM can pull it off. With the squad we've got now, I really think he can.

The league cup now has teams like chelsea, man city using their vast player resources to have a real go, plus you have the likes of Liverpool and spurs who do take it seriously enough. Avoid those teams till the semis and you have a real chance. The big boys normally get knocked out when they field a weakened team against a burnley or blackpool.

Yes, I think he will.

I feel confident we'll see a cup win in the next 2/3 seasons, but I also see us getting back into Europe via our league position. If Lukaku hits the ground running and achieves the same or better goal return as for WBA last season, I think this current squad is capable of doing that this season and it's a great opportunity for us while some of the clubs above us adjust to their new managers, systems and signings. So far, we seem to have adjusted to similar changes better than some others.

I think Martinez has a great chance of getting us a trophy in the not too distant future, perhaps not this season but given a wee bit of luck with draws and such the League Cup has to be a realistic target. After that then it's always easier to win the next one...whether that's the Europa League or FA Cup? who cares...the snowball keeps rolling and gathering momentum. I genuinely think there are successful times coming

We have as good a chance as anybody, luck of the draw, form on the day its basically how long is a piece of string

its such a lottery, hope RM takes the cups as serious as we do. The European entry does,nt enter my head.

A footballers career is judged on honours won not European qualification.

And as for Wigan the game that cost Wigan their status was v Swansea, They were 2-1 up playing lovely stuff, then gave away 2 of the silliest goals

ever seen in a barmy game to lose 2-3. That night had to be seen to be believed. If they had won they would have been safe before the emirates game..

Said when he was appointed we'll have a better chance than at any time in the last decade, and after four games in, see no reason to change that thinking.

I don't care if it's even the League Cup - a largely ridiculed and criticized trophy to win - it's still an honor to be had and Everton have never won this, and have an overall very disappointing record, not to mention in the bigger picture - no trophy wins in 18 years now. A disappointing statisitc for a club of this stature, when you take away the fine league campaigns here and there.

I'm not saying Martinez WILL win a trophy, only that Martinez CAN win something this season, at least we're in better condition for it, now Moyes has moved on.

Just as a matter of interest , what would people consider as a successful first season for Martinez?

If we don't win a Cup and finish outside the top five does that make him a failure or given the state of transition we are in would you accept no trophy and top 10?

Initially when He came in I was expecting a top ten finish anywhere from 10th to 7th with the team being in a style and ethos transition but with the way we have been playing at times and with the new additions I can't see why a top 5/6 finish isn't possible.

I do think We will have a very good cup run this season with having a few more options with players keeping the squad slightly fresher and Martinez will go out to beat teams whereas Moyes was to negative at times trying to play it safe.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we finished outside the top six as people have to understand it's a transitional period and his first season in charge but I genuinely think we will sit somewhere in the top six and have a good change at a domestic cup this season if we can keep everyone in shape and fit.

Either way I've been very impressed with Martinez He's a very good manager who I think given time will have the club playing regular European football.

Edited by EFC-Paul