IGNORED

Next mobile phone

Hafnia

I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't fathom why people pay monthly for phones. I've never once paid monthly for one as like anything else, you work out what you can afford and pay for it outright. Never understood why paying bit-by-bit is the norm when it comes to mobiles yet not anywhere else. 

It's a bit like going to Tesco and then asking to pay off your shopping in £10 monthly intervals. 

7 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't fathom why people pay monthly for phones. I've never once paid monthly for one as like anything else, you work out what you can afford and pay for it outright. Never understood why paying bit-by-bit is the norm when it comes to mobiles yet not anywhere else. 

It's a bit like going to Tesco and then asking to pay off your shopping in £10 monthly intervals. 

It's the one area where they have absolutely nailed down a customer buying something that depreciates - on credit without feeling bad..... so much so that many people used to carry on paying the contracted rate after their phone was already paid for. Rather than going SIM only. 

Personally I think that part should be illegal. It makes me sick.  For me there should be claim backs. 

38 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Same reason as I pay monthly for gas, 'leccy, home phone, TV licence, water rates, car/house insurance and internet off the top of my head; know what's going out every month. Did PAYG for a long time but running out of credit when you need it is very annoying.

27 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It's the one area where they have absolutely nailed down a customer buying something that depreciates - on credit without feeling bad..... so much so that many people used to carry on paying the contracted rate after their phone was already paid for. Rather than going SIM only. 

Personally I think that part should be illegal. It makes me sick.  For me there should be claim backs. 

Doesn't happen with my provider, rate drops as soon as the phone contract is up. I have a "back-up" SIM only contract on an old phone with an ex-provider that costs me £3 a month.

Spending far less now than when I was on PAYG.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Same reason as I pay monthly for gas, 'leccy, home phone, TV licence, water rates, car/house insurance and internet off the top of my head; know what's going out every month.

same here, we adhere to a budget which revolves around our paychecks which arrive roughly 2 times a month.  I have it broken down by week.  I know everything that comes in and goes out, easier to control cash flow that way.  We've paid off a lot of debt by adhering to a monthly budget, it's been a real blessing for us financially.  It helps us not to overspend and not to be frivolous as well, i'm not rich so this is really the only way we can survive.

37 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

same here, we adhere to a budget which revolves around our paychecks which arrive roughly 2 times a month.  I have it broken down by week.  I know everything that comes in and goes out, easier to control cash flow that way.  We've paid off a lot of debt by adhering to a monthly budget, it's been a real blessing for us financially.  It helps us not to overspend and not to be frivolous as well, i'm not rich so this is really the only way we can survive.

With you all the way. Sadly my wife has no concept of "living within means" having been brought up in a wealthy family; her innate "I want it so I'll buy it" reflex has never left her, which is why I handle all financial stuff; she thinks that credit cards are free money. We sometimes fall out.😂

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did the android shop around for a few years.  Had 2 or 3 mid range jobs but they last 12 months or so.  

bit bullet and bought iPhone 13 Pro max a couple of years back, £1100…. Went sim only for £10.  The phone will Probably be good for another 4 years. Replace battery for £50 in 6 months I think 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

I did the android shop around for a few years.  Had 2 or 3 mid range jobs but they last 12 months or so.  

bit bullet and bought iPhone 13 Pro max a couple of years back, £1100…. Went sim only for £10.  The phone will Probably be good for another 4 years. Replace battery for £50 in 6 months I think 

My Samsung s20 Ultra is nearly 3 years old now and not once have I had an issue. It still runs youtube as my background noise for 12hrs a day.

Good luck getting an iPhone battery issue fixed mate. You'll need it based on personal experience and that was before they were looking to make the phone harder to repair. 

I’ve had an iPhone for years my first was iPhone 4 now I’m on iPhone 14, I’ve never had a problem with any of them and always hand them down to grandkids after 2 years, not heard they’ve had problems later on with batteries probably because they’ve trashed them in 6 months or so. I pay £45.00 a month plus vat on a business package, I have 2 phones so that’s £90.00 a month both with 50GB, free roaming anywhere, and free Apple Music, and registered to company for tax breaks. 

16 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’ve had an iPhone for years my first was iPhone 4 now I’m on iPhone 14, I’ve never had a problem with any of them and always hand them down to grandkids after 2 years, not heard they’ve had problems later on with batteries probably because they’ve trashed them in 6 months or so. I pay £45.00 a month plus vat on a business package, I have 2 phones so that’s £90.00 a month both with 50GB, free roaming anywhere, and free Apple Music, and registered to company for tax breaks. 

Mate, that's an absolute rip off unless you're still paying off the handsets.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Mate, that's an absolute rip off unless you're still paying off the handsets.

Yes paying for handsets as well mate, because I use EE business package it all goes against company profits so taxman covers majority of costs, and I get a business call centre that is in the UK and not India with call waiting times significantly reduced. 

13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Yes paying for handsets as well mate, because I use EE business package it all goes against company profits so taxman covers majority of costs, and I get a business call centre that is in the UK and not India with call waiting times significantly reduced. 

Fair enough. I just switched to a 50gb sim for £12 a month, free calls and messages and roaming. Got the wife on an £8 one so both of us are set with a network that functions for £20 :)

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Fair enough. I just switched to a 50gb sim for £12 a month, free calls and messages and roaming. Got the wife on an £8 one so both of us are set with a network that functions for £20 :)

That’s great value mate, when I’ve retired and no longer have VAT registered business to use to cover the costs I will definitely be in touch for some advice Matt.