IGNORED

Phil [YES DEFINITELY] Jagielka heading the list of thick footballers?

Avinalaff

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/everton/8979766/everton-v-hull-city-jagielka

I don't know about you lads, but I cringe everytime I hear Jagielka being interviewed.

Every answer starts with "Yes Definitely" and for me it shows a huge lack of intelligence, not to mention the fact that he is representing Everton when on camera.

Total media ban please Roberto.

Which other players have similar habits?

See how many you can name.

Edited by Avinalaff

No. It's a bad habit, but I've always thought Jags seems fairly intelligent... I think it's more of a tic/habit than a sign of low intelligence... Listen to what he says beyond that first bit, he can formulate and articulate decent thoughts fairly quickly, and I've seen many interviews where he seems to be a good, thoughtful representative of our club.

*Edit* Tim Cahill pauses and says "ehm" a lot, but he is very intelligent and articulate. Hell, even Barack Obama (I'm American everyone) has a few verbal tics, he pauses and says "Um" a lot, and he also begins phrases with "Let me be clear" quite often, and no one is doubting his intelligence.

Edited by Quinn31

There is an annoying trend to start responses with "Yes no..........."

Hansen's monotonous "great hit", "two great feet" in that backwoods accent of his is almost as bad as monotone Alan Foghorn Leghorn Shearer who repeats I say repeats so many things like he has forgotten where he was where he was up to I want to put to put my fist through the screen and and slap him to liven him up liven him up a bit.

There have been some very smart footballers from the past. Barry Horne (former Everton) had a first class honours degree in chemistry. From my childhood days, I remember Steve Heighway at Liverpool, and he had a degree in economics. So did Steve Coppell - and Arsene Wenger, too. Steve Palmer (Ipswich when they were in the first division) had a degree in software engineering from Cambridge. I'm not sure that all of these were particularly articulate.

And what about Brian Clough's lengthy "uuuuuuuh"s? They used to drive me crazy.

I don't give a shit how many 'A' levels Jags has got, if he can keep a striker in his pocket, that's all that really matters.

The players get to the top of their profession for their ability on the football pitch, when interviewd after the match, what comes out is of second importance to me.

I don't want a midfielder who knows how to split an atom, I want a player who can split a defence with a pass.

DEFENDER - PHIL JAGIELKA (Everton)

You know exactly what you are going to get with Phil Jagielka, and we saw it again in Everton's 2-1 win against Hull. No heroics like Chelsea's David Luiz, just a rock-solid performance. A real Mr Dependable.

Did you know? England man Jagielka has been Everton's best passer this season, completing 381.

From Garth crook's team of the week

Edited by mogsy

DEFENDER - PHIL JAGIELKA (Everton)

You know exactly what you are going to get with Phil Jagielka, and we saw it again in Everton's 2-1 win against Hull. No heroics like Chelsea's David Luiz, just a rock-solid performance. A real Mr Dependable.

Did you know? England man Jagielka has been Everton's best passer this season, completing 381.

From Garth crook's team of the week

Talking of thick footballers....

When I was on teacher training (many moons ago) we were Told to try and avoid getting into the habit of using words like 'ok' and 'yeah' at the end of every sentence. Really difficult to do to begin with purely because of nerves, and it'll be the same for these blokes too. Like someone said just a verbal tic.

And still on the subject of thick footballers.....a day after the FA's England commission is criticised for lack of diversity....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24592596

....Rio Ferdinand is added to it :huh:.

Token black face?

Can't stand "positive discrimination" myself....if the best ten people for the job happen to be ten white males then so be it. The tokenism of adding a black guy for the sake of it perpetuates racism rather than solving it.

Fair comment. I am just surprised Hope Powell wasn't put on it too.

When it comes to footballers, sometimes I feel this is harsh. Jagileka can read the game very well, and make very intelligent decisions about where he puts himself in order to maximise preventing an attack from being successful. Football encorporates a lot of judgement and awareness, sensing how hard to hit a ball, feeling when a moment is right to make a pass or go yourself, knowing where to position yourself to intercept an attacking threat. This has almost nothing to do with how eloquently you can answer questions from interviews, which are often times bullshit and pointless anyway.

In fact, I've never thought Jagielka to be that bad. Repeating phrases when talking is a sign of nervousness, but also, especially when receiving question after question, as a launching point. Saying "Yes definitely" everytime is probably a default response like "Thank you for your email" or "Hi my names Jupinder can I take your virgin account number?" It's just something he says while he thinks of what to answer.

when they plural player names...the lampard's, the gerrard's, the rooney's...anyone who does that is a twat

roy hodson and stan collymore are the first culprits that spring to mind

"dubbed / labeled the next *current superstar name here*"... pisses me right off. Youre not allowed to be brilliant on your own...

back on track - Sounness is another numpty who spots shite constantly. Luckily hes being linked back to management so hopefully his pundit days are numbered :yay:

Edited by Matt