IGNORED

Stoke City

markjazzbassist

I'm really excited for this game and am confident we'll get the 3 points. With the Baines injury it will be interesting to see if Roberto sticks with the 4231 and slots oviedo in baines place, or if he finally switches to his preferred 352. I'm guessing this is a great excuse to switch now so he'll go ahead with the 352 (also he doesn't seem confident in oviedo). Here's the lineup I'd like to see.

Howard

Stones Jagielka Distin

Coleman Mccarthy Barkley Barry Delafeu

Mirallas Lukaku

Edited by markjazzbassist

put this in the Baines thread but I suppose its more relevant here:

..................Lukaku...............

Mirallas Pienaar Barkley Deul

.............Barry McCarthy .......

......Distin ... Jags ... Stones..

.................T-How .................

Coleman can come in for one of the AMs and change to our 4231, push Stones inside for CDR, but honestly I think we could get away with a formation like this. Stoke especially, as I expect them to close us down and park the bus, so let them do it whilst we keep possession in their half with 6-7 players pushing forward.

i thought deulofeu played on the left in one of the capital one cup games. if oviedo isn't making the bench, do you really think he'll start?

Yeh I do because he will want a primarily defensive player. You dont play with wingbacks and use attacking midfieldera because the whole concept grinds to a holt if they cant defend or at least arent aware of their defensive responsibilities. When we dont have the ball its 5-3-1-1 so you need competetent defenders. Barry showed he could do it and I would be surprised if Pienaar could do it with a gun to his head but its actually Oviedos best position IMO and despite him not making the bench I cant see him not starting in that position if we do set up that way.

The good thing about Roberto you don't know what he is thinking with regards to team formation. I think judging Oviedo isn't on the bench means he won't be playing and I don't see hibbo being the type of player he rates to fit in as left back. Maybe he will go with three centre backs. Alcaraz in the centre or stones on the right with jags in the middle of the three. That leaves who plays wing backs. I don't necessarily think that Roberto wants to play three at the back I think the players suit the formation not vice versa.

Maybe v stoke under pulis I'd play dystin for his height at left back and stones centre back but because of both teams different styles of play these days I can't see it.

Interesting to see the team and formation. I'm waiting for us to turn the screw and get four or five, hopefully this will be it.

3-1 lukaku with two and ross

One of the most interesting line ups in the last long while today.

There are a lot of possibilities for Roberto today, no Baines, Deulofeu held his hand up big time last week.

Personally, I would like to see us start with 3 at the back this week. The biggest challenge 3 at the back often faces is wingers getting around the outside but that shouldnt be the biggest worry against stoke.

Would agree almost entirely with Matts team, except for the fact that I cannot see Deulofeu playing as our wide cover. If he does, Barry could be almost playing as an auxiliary full back he will be covering so often!

Left Back is a tough call, but I hope Roberto goes for it.

Guessing Barkley and Mirallas are being kept for Old Trafford on Wednesday... Hope it doesnt come back to haunt us.

On a side note, if that is why Mirallas is being kept on the bench (and Im by no means sure it is why), Id be concerned about his overall fitness levels. Never seems to last 90 minutes as it is.