IGNORED

Stoke City

markjazzbassist

Well that's the second game in a row that we've controlled from start to finish, which shows that we're growing and getting more accustomed to the tactics that Martinez has implemented.

First half we lacked the intensity that we showed in the derby. It's understandable but it was still disappointing to go back to doing everything too slowly. We had all the ball and kept hold of it extremely well but due to the slowness we really did struggle to create much. So while we were the dominant side it was hard for us to get through Stoke, they may have a new manager but they're still a very well organised side. It was looking like it'd be another game against them where we'd have to grind something out of the game. It was telling that on one of the few occasions that we changed up the pace of our play in that half that we opened them up and managed to get our noses in front. It was a sublime bit of interplay between Pienaar, Deulofeu and Barry to work the opening. You could argue that there was a bit of luck that the ball found it's way from Barry to Deulofeu but that luck was earned because they had the balls to take the chance. Getting the goal right before half time was key I think. If we'd gone in 0-0 I don't think we'd have played the way we did in the second half. It was a kick in the bollocks to Stoke and a confidence boost for us (and for Deulofeu).

Second half we were much, much better and now as well as controlling the game we were dominating it. We weren't fully fluent in our play but we played much quicker and with bucket loads of confidence, which meant that we no longer struggled to create chances. We were creating them almost at will. Each and every one of our players looked like they were enjoying themselves out there. Especially Deulofeu. He looked like he was having the time of his life. I know I was enjoying watching him play. Literally every time he got the ball I was on the edge of my seat, just waiting to see what he'd do. It was no surprise that we went on to score another three goals this half, and in truth we could have had even more goals.

The biggest things to take from this game are that despite us not being anywhere near our best we still managed to completely control the game, score four goals against a good defensive side, stop the opposition being a threat and keep a clean sheet. Roll on United.

Howard - Barely needed at all but kept his concentration well so that the couple of times he was needed he was perfect.

Coleman - I really must be missing something with him this season but I'm not seeing the rampaging attacker from last season, and yesterday was no different. He looks reluctant to push forward when he gets the ball with space in front of him. Maybe it's a tactical thing, I don't know. I did think he handled himself well defensively yesterday. Especially early on while Deulofeu became accustomed to being asked to track back etc. And even though it was flukey as hell he was in the right place at the right time to get a goal.

Jagielka - Despite us not being tested too much defensively I thought he still managed to look very solid. He was in complete control all game long, and his distribution was pretty good too.

Distin - His distribution wasn't quite as good as Jags', IMO, with a couple of misplaced tackles and long balls to no one, but he looked unruffled in his general defensive play.

Oviedo - With not playing much recently it was understandable that he might start out a bit hesitant. And he did. He just kept things simple and didn't really try much. But as the game wore on his confidence visibly grew and he pushed further and further up the pitch and his interplay with other players improved. His goal highlighted how his confidence had grew - shooting from outside the area on his weaker foot. We didn't feel Baines' absence whatsoever as an attacking force. In fact, you could argue that Oviedo was a bit of an improvement as he also got himself an assist, which is something Baines doesn't have this season.

Deulofeu - I'd wanted him to start and the lad did not disappoint at all. He was eager to impress right from the start (probably a bit too eager at times) and was a constant bright spark for us. His positivity is a beacon for others, he was never wanting to take the negative option or the easy option. It was go forward or go home. Their left back will be having nightmares for weeks because Gerard tore him apart at will. The end product wasn't always there, which needs to improve (and will the more he plays), but he makes things happen. While the end product wasn't perfect he still managed to score a beautiful goal and grab himself an assist. So he is learning. And his ability to run at pace and have amazing control of the ball was just frightening. I thought he also worked hard defensively too. At first he seemed a bit confused about what was being asked of him (not an unwillingness to help out) but the longer the game went on the better he positioned himself to help out Coleman.

McCarthy - Probably his best performance for us yesterday and I hope the doubters are coming round. He dominated the midfield for us. He might do it more quietly than Fellaini but he's no less effective. Not much got past him all game long and he was incredibly disciplined - not only in tracking runners but also not launching himself into any tackles that could have brought his fifth booking of the season and a suspension. He was also our engine room, his energy levels knew no bounds. What I loved most about him yesterday was his willingness to drive forward with the ball, which is something he's more than capable of and I've wanted him to do more. Yesterday he did and he almost got himself his first goal for us because of it.

Barry - Quietly but methodically mopped up everything in front of the defence. And due to our dominance he was also able to push forward at times.

Pienaar - He won't get the plaudits that Deulofeu did from many but I thought he oozed class yesterday. He buzzed about all over the pitch, linked up well with every one, played a massive part in our first goal, he used the ball intelligently all game long (I doubt he gave the ball away very often), he worked hard to help out Oviedo. He made us tick and gave the likes of Deulofeu that platform to do their thing. He just did everything for me. There wasn't a negative point to his game, IMO. My MOTM.

Osman - Look, there's no doubt we lost quite a lot by having him play in place of Barkley and after his first half showing I thought it was going to be another typical game of his where he doesn't really do anything wrong but he doesn't really do anything at all. But second half I thought he played well tbh. He got himself involved and kept the ball moving for us.

Lukaku - A quiet game from him with the odd glimpse of his obvious class. The main one being his movement for his goal. That was top quality. If he's still going to score when he's not on his game then it doesn't really matter.

10/10 post

Well that's the second game in a row that we've controlled from start to finish, which shows that we're growing and getting more accustomed to the tactics that Martinez has implemented.

First half we lacked the intensity that we showed in the derby. It's understandable but it was still disappointing to go back to doing everything too slowly. We had all the ball and kept hold of it extremely well but due to the slowness we really did struggle to create much. So while we were the dominant side it was hard for us to get through Stoke, they may have a new manager but they're still a very well organised side. It was looking like it'd be another game against them where we'd have to grind something out of the game. It was telling that on one of the few occasions that we changed up the pace of our play in that half that we opened them up and managed to get our noses in front. It was a sublime bit of interplay between Pienaar, Deulofeu and Barry to work the opening. You could argue that there was a bit of luck that the ball found it's way from Barry to Deulofeu but that luck was earned because they had the balls to take the chance. Getting the goal right before half time was key I think. If we'd gone in 0-0 I don't think we'd have played the way we did in the second half. It was a kick in the bollocks to Stoke and a confidence boost for us (and for Deulofeu).

Second half we were much, much better and now as well as controlling the game we were dominating it. We weren't fully fluent in our play but we played much quicker and with bucket loads of confidence, which meant that we no longer struggled to create chances. We were creating them almost at will. Each and every one of our players looked like they were enjoying themselves out there. Especially Deulofeu. He looked like he was having the time of his life. I know I was enjoying watching him play. Literally every time he got the ball I was on the edge of my seat, just waiting to see what he'd do. It was no surprise that we went on to score another three goals this half, and in truth we could have had even more goals.

The biggest things to take from this game are that despite us not being anywhere near our best we still managed to completely control the game, score four goals against a good defensive side, stop the opposition being a threat and keep a clean sheet. Roll on United.

Howard - Barely needed at all but kept his concentration well so that the couple of times he was needed he was perfect.

Coleman - I really must be missing something with him this season but I'm not seeing the rampaging attacker from last season, and yesterday was no different. He looks reluctant to push forward when he gets the ball with space in front of him. Maybe it's a tactical thing, I don't know. I did think he handled himself well defensively yesterday. Especially early on while Deulofeu became accustomed to being asked to track back etc. And even though it was flukey as hell he was in the right place at the right time to get a goal.

Jagielka - Despite us not being tested too much defensively I thought he still managed to look very solid. He was in complete control all game long, and his distribution was pretty good too.

Distin - His distribution wasn't quite as good as Jags', IMO, with a couple of misplaced tackles and long balls to no one, but he looked unruffled in his general defensive play.

Oviedo - With not playing much recently it was understandable that he might start out a bit hesitant. And he did. He just kept things simple and didn't really try much. But as the game wore on his confidence visibly grew and he pushed further and further up the pitch and his interplay with other players improved. His goal highlighted how his confidence had grew - shooting from outside the area on his weaker foot. We didn't feel Baines' absence whatsoever as an attacking force. In fact, you could argue that Oviedo was a bit of an improvement as he also got himself an assist, which is something Baines doesn't have this season.

Deulofeu - I'd wanted him to start and the lad did not disappoint at all. He was eager to impress right from the start (probably a bit too eager at times) and was a constant bright spark for us. His positivity is a beacon for others, he was never wanting to take the negative option or the easy option. It was go forward or go home. Their left back will be having nightmares for weeks because Gerard tore him apart at will. The end product wasn't always there, which needs to improve (and will the more he plays), but he makes things happen. While the end product wasn't perfect he still managed to score a beautiful goal and grab himself an assist. So he is learning. And his ability to run at pace and have amazing control of the ball was just frightening. I thought he also worked hard defensively too. At first he seemed a bit confused about what was being asked of him (not an unwillingness to help out) but the longer the game went on the better he positioned himself to help out Coleman.

McCarthy - Probably his best performance for us yesterday and I hope the doubters are coming round. He dominated the midfield for us. He might do it more quietly than Fellaini but he's no less effective. Not much got past him all game long and he was incredibly disciplined - not only in tracking runners but also not launching himself into any tackles that could have brought his fifth booking of the season and a suspension. He was also our engine room, his energy levels knew no bounds. What I loved most about him yesterday was his willingness to drive forward with the ball, which is something he's more than capable of and I've wanted him to do more. Yesterday he did and he almost got himself his first goal for us because of it.

Barry - Quietly but methodically mopped up everything in front of the defence. And due to our dominance he was also able to push forward at times.

Pienaar - He won't get the plaudits that Deulofeu did from many but I thought he oozed class yesterday. He buzzed about all over the pitch, linked up well with every one, played a massive part in our first goal, he used the ball intelligently all game long (I doubt he gave the ball away very often), he worked hard to help out Oviedo. He made us tick and gave the likes of Deulofeu that platform to do their thing. He just did everything for me. There wasn't a negative point to his game, IMO. My MOTM.

Osman - Look, there's no doubt we lost quite a lot by having him play in place of Barkley and after his first half showing I thought it was going to be another typical game of his where he doesn't really do anything wrong but he doesn't really do anything at all. But second half I thought he played well tbh. He got himself involved and kept the ball moving for us.

Lukaku - A quiet game from him with the odd glimpse of his obvious class. The main one being his movement for his goal. That was top quality. If he's still going to score when he's not on his game then it doesn't really matter.

10/10 post

Is that you, DK? :P

:shaking fist: I was preparing a Thanksgiving dinner for 7 dammit!

Just watched the extended highlights, we looked dominant (as you'd expect in highlights :P) but I was more impressed with the flowing movement we went forward with. Big shout out to Oviedo, going on the highlights he was my MOTM (but I wont vote since i didnt watch the game)