IGNORED

AVB sacked by Spurs

In their haste to get this out to the world the BBC have, once again, lost the ability to spell. Wonder if Martin Yole will go back there?

Thinking on about this bloke - He's someone who seems to have ideas above his station and might be better off going back to being someone's assistant. In his post match interview yesterday he said he picks the team, makes the substitutions and sets the tactics so took the blame for it which was honourable if not a bit naive in the cut-throat world of "it's always some other fucker's fault". He then went on in the post match press interview to answer awkwardly when asked if the players he had bought were up to the job, implicating Levy influencing the decisions to buy / not to buy. It was the latter which, in my opinion, has got him the sack as you don't dis the suits (Levy) even if they have hung you out to dry with their dithering over spending the Bale money and then spunking it on carthorses (in PL terms) like Soldado & co. The press also gave him the rope to hang himself with by asking the question in the first place but he didn't have to place the noose around his neck.

Nothing to do with results / performances - they're only 8 points off top spot (?). Ol' 'arry jogged on out of White Hart Lane in similar circumstances, I think? Horrible little wannabe fucker, that Levy!

Edited by Cake

Wrong decision.

Bringing in so many players was asking for trouble but I feel that with time AVB would have had them playing football well as a team not just individuals. Personally I'd give him a season with the 'Post-Bale Spurs' and see where they ended up. Sacking him at this stage is just silly.

Stupid as fuck decision which sums up the lack of patience in modern football. I'm sure Fleet Street are delighted though. Jamie Redknapp was loving it on SSN - bitter cunt.

Di Matteo is over rated. And he's massively defensive so not a chance they'd look at him, and they shouldn't either because they'd do even worse with him, IMO.

People have mentioned Martinez but that's not going to happen either. One; we'd tell them to fuck off and I doubt Martinez would want to leave. Two; Levy thinks Tottenham are something they're not (a top class club) and will want to bring in a name to satisfy his ego.

Tbh Im not the greatest admirer of AVB although I do have some sympathy for him, especially if he didnt have that much input in the transfers.

Last year they were heavily reliant on Bale and its not easy to go out and buy so many players and expect them to click. In fact pretty much every side that has ever tried it has failed.

Regardless of the players he has though, he shouldnt be losing games 5-0 and 6-0 at home, to clubs that most fans look to as fellow title contenders. The team looked lost on Sunday and they had given up. To me it looked like AVB had lost the confidence of his players, like he did at Chelsea, and when that happens there is pretty much no way the situation can be rescued.

I genuinely have no idea of who they are going to be able to bring in though.

It's not so much that I believe Villas-Boas is the messiah or anything like that, I just find it pointless to sack a manager after basically constructing a whole new squad. The DoF bought the players and you get the feeling that AVB wasn't happy with some of them. He made mistakes and he was somewhat narrow-minded in trying to maintain the high line even when it wasn't working in recent weeks - he made the same mistake at Chelsea (although at the same time you have to also admire that determination to maintain footballing principles).

He's very young and imo he should have been allowed to grow with the team - they could have been something special under him but it seems that Levy let the two terrible results vs blue Mancs and Liverpool override everything else. It just screams short-termism to me.

Also, who do they plan on replacing him with? The only candidate who would be interested and is a better manager imo is Laudrup. He's the only guy who fulfils those criteria and can play the attractive football Tottenham fans demand. All the other guys would see it as a step down. I can't see anyone coming from a decent-sized club in Spain or Germany to manage this poisoned chalice. I suppose Pochettino is another option but I imagine he's very happy at Soton. I agree with the comments above that Di Matteo is a pretty average manager - probably the flukiest CL winner ever.

I followed AVB casually in his Porto days and he's always seemed like a very good tactician and a very intelligent guy. He isn't flawless - he is very brash and, as I said, he can be stubborn, but he's developing as a manager similar to how Tottenham are developing as a team. There were promising signs there and now they're back to square one it seems. I could be totally wrong but for me this is the incorrect decision.

Edited by Nikica