IGNORED

Everton v Man City

Guest rusty747

If we were in twelth position with nothing to play for and city were playing us in the final game. If city won Liverpool where relegated, woul you still want us to win then Cornish? If you say yes your a liar, if you say no your a hypocrite.

i always want us to win, regardless of the situation.

Liar.

:huh:

I've been consistent in my argument, I always want us to win. I also don't want to see Liverpool relegated for the sake of the Derby. I'd happily see them fight relegation over and over, but don't want them to go down.

Are you not criticising the fans who wanted to win the game when you say they had a "complete lack of regard for the shit that lot will throw at us for the next 10 years"?

I wanted to win and I know exactly what it would have meant, I know plenty of Liverpool fans that would've rubbed my nose in it for god knows how long. But I want Everton to win, no matter what. I don't think I was honourable for wanting that to happen, I just want to win.

No, because I knew that I'd stated earlier on that I wouldn't criticise those who wanted to win. My point was made at the fans who are wanting to appear honourable despite being fully aware that they were torn.

Guest Nikica

I have my views on this debate, but it doesn't seem right to air them as a non-Evertonian (although I feel better about posting now that the game is gone anyway). Let's just say I have time for both perspectives.

A few things I would like to say though:

First, hafnia is correct that Gerrard essentially gifted Chelsea the league back in 2010 to prevent Man U winning it. I believe it was deliberate (although you can never tell with him);

Second, Liverpool fans should look to the aforementioned Gerrard before casting aspersions in Everton. If Gerrard did his job properly Liverpool would probably have attained the point they needed and would still have the title in their own hands. You can't afford to make mistakes like that at the top level (or try and selfishly redeem yourself afterwards) as they are invariably punished. Given Chelsea's lack of creative ability, the only way they'd have scored that day was through a gift such as Gerrard provided. After that they were able to retreat further and limit Liverpool's chances. It's their own fault they are in this position - once you start relying on other teams you have problems. I think they'd be deserved champions but they don't have a divine right to win the trophy. For them to criticise Everton therefore is really pathetic, as well as hypocritical based on the previous paragraph. Perhaps Gerrard and his team-mates should take some responsibility;

Third, I don't think Cotto, hafnia etc are saying that fans who don't go to games are inferior fans, or less knowledgeable. What they're saying is that fans who aren't at a game shouldn't criticise those who are. I do agree though that anyone who thinks match-going fans are automatically more knowledgeable is a muppet. Lots of silly people go to grounds all over the world, you don't need to pass a football knowledge test to buy a season ticket. However, I don't think that's the argument being expressed here - it's the 'hypocrisy' angle which they are arguing.

Edited by Nikica

If we were in twelth position with nothing to play for and city were playing us in the final game. If city won Liverpool where relegated, woul you still want us to win then Cornish? If you say yes your a liar, if you say no your a hypocrite.

Of course I'd want Everton to win. It's about supporting a team, not hating other teams. If Liverpool were to be relegated, it would be because they deserved to be. It's just like now: Liverpool wouldn't lose the title because we lost to city but because they failed to beat other teams. And, because you don't know me, you don't know how much I believe in principles, so there's no question of being a liar over this.

Of course I'd want Everton to win. It's about supporting a team, not hating other teams. If Liverpool were to be relegated, it would be because they deserved to be. It's just like now: Liverpool wouldn't lose the title because we lost to city but because they failed to beat other teams. And, because you don't know me, you don't know how much I believe in principles, so there's no question of being a liar over this.

your such an honourable guy cornish, i wish i was more like you.

Guest rusty747

your such an honourable guy cornish, i wish i was more like you.

You would come across as a lot better person if you were Brett.

Only just watched the goals back again - how shit did Howard do for their first?! He's beaten far too easily, and far too often at his near post.

thought that when watchin the highlights(didn't get to go to the game)

also thought he could have been better positioned for the 2nd

Don't be under any illusions I am getting stick right now off Liverpool fans who don't understand how we never wanted to go all out for a win and are saying our fans are a disgrace.... complete double standards from a club who wanted Blackburn to beat them in order to stop United winning the league, who did the same in 2010...

They call us bitter blues, insult our lack of finance, lack of recent trophies - laugh at us and refer to us as Everloan, state they don't need a stadium share with us as they dont want to be doing us a favour?

They behave like the school bully who wants to sits next to the class geek to copy on exam day, be nice to him for a bit, then when the exam is passed get back to kicking him. Nah, not having it.

Guest rusty747

Just a little bit of devils advocate here. Man City could yet lose points for failing the FFP rules. If they are docked 10 points but still finish fourth, one point above us, how would that make the Man City result look?

Moral of the story is that you should always try to win all of your games.

Just a little bit of devils advocate here. Man City could yet lose points for failing the FFP rules. If they are docked 10 points but still finish fourth, one point above us, how would that make the Man City result look?

UEFA can't take league points from them can they?

Then it means Liverpool have been "given" the title. Surely not even their lot would find the gall to celebrate that one wildly...

It was so painful losing to Manchester City.

However, by doing so we have thrown the title for the Premier League wide open, and it will be really fascinating to see what happens during the last 2 games of the season.

We have done well this year as a team, but we need to do even better next year.

Don't be under any illusions I am getting stick right now off Liverpool fans who don't understand how we never wanted to go all out for a win and are saying our fans are a disgrace.... complete double standards from a club who wanted Blackburn to beat them in order to stop United winning the league, who did the same in 2010...

They call us bitter blues, insult our lack of finance, lack of recent trophies - laugh at us and refer to us as Everloan, state they don't need a stadium share with us as they dont want to be doing us a favour?

They behave like the school bully who wants to sits next to the class geek to copy on exam day, be nice to him for a bit, then when the exam is passed get back to kicking him. Nah, not having it.

Back to agreeing with you again!

However you have painted a picture that you have a hard time in the office? Possibly the victim of wind ups because you react so intensely?

I can just imagine the redshite side of the office....

'Bit borin today aint it?'

'Yeah laa'

'Ere, ders Haf...'

'You thinkin wharam thinkin?'

'Yeah laa'

'Let's go give it to im propeeer, love his reaction...'

Back to agreeing with you again!

However you have painted a picture that you have a hard time in the office? Possibly the victim of wind ups because you react so intensely?

I can just imagine the redshite side of the office....

'Bit borin today aint it?'

'Yeah laa'

'Ere, ders Haf...'

'You thinkin wharam thinkin?'

'Yeah laa'

'Let's go give it to im propeeer, love his reaction...'

I work in Chester....work colleagues are sound to be honest

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just us, Man City & Red Cafe were up in arms about his commentary. It all points to an unhealthy influence that Sky have on the game. Still disgusted by it.

The very fact I couldn't have got up for winning is a reason I would not go, leave it to someone who was motivated to win.