IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

He's clearly a pretty young kid who's new to football and doesn't watch anything outside of Belgian and English football. There are numerous holes in his arguments (as I have alluded to above) and there were numerous holes in Peter H's argument (as I showed when I responded to him). But apparently I'm the one in the wrong. Some little cunt who hates passing football telling me I'm clueless :rofl: What temerity.

Fuck him, he's an idiot. Outside of this site I tend to spend time with intelligent football fans, and to a man they're slating fuck out of him (as they did when I showed them Peter H's shite). Peter, the genius who tries to make a case via outliers, and who thinks Belgium can win the WC as 'they can beat anyone on their day' (they probably can, but beating someone in a one-off game and beating three or four of the top teams in the world in a two week knockout spell are two very different things). These people don't even think about what they are saying

Third strike.

So im guessing that you destroyed me in the Belgium is over-rated thread?

Guest Nikica

Just home from playing football - you wouldn't believe the heat. In saying that it was nice and cool compared to 1pm kick-offs in the North East of Brazil.

Fair play for the warning point - I deserve that. I allowed my frustrations to escalate and the insults interspersed amongst my posts were unacceptable. I still believe most of what I say and reinforced my points, but the attacks laced within were not right. Like I say I'd be disappointed if I hadn't received the warning point as I don't want nor expect special treatment. I have Peter and Mirallas on ignore now as I have no interest in anything either has to say so hopefully that will be the end of it with them (I expect they're making more points I consider illogical, so no point going round in circles with them). The stuff about Belgium as a country was particularly below the belt on my part, although to be honest it is a pretty odd place.

I apologise to those two for the insults (but not my counter-points), and to everyone else who had no part in the argument(s). Let's not forget though that Peter attacked me first in the other thread. Mirallas was more civil for the most part and really only snapped after I did.

To return to the football, what I will say is that I'm prepared to be wrong about Germany - I don't see any outstanding team in this tournament and they're probably as good as anyone else, so yeah, they could feasibly win it. I still don't think they're the best thing since sliced bread though, like so many do. This has been a brilliant tournament but there's not an exceptional team in it, imo. Perhaps that's part of why it has been so exciting.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

ivory coast not looking great, colombia is looking very quick on the counter

Yes, Ivory Coast have shown some nice passages of play. Overall the Colombians have appeared to be the more dangerous side, and look pacy on the break as you say.

CIV are not a bad team, but Colombia are better I think. I thinkthe Ivorians are playing pretty well though - it's been a relatively tight game but there are goals in this. If one team scores I think the floodgates might open because they know that a win for either team puts that team in pole position to win the section.

Guest Nikica

Bony hasn't had a touch in columbia's half for the full 45.

Hi Haf

He's not really getting much service to be fair to him. My opinion is that he and Lukaku are both talented players, who offer some different strengths (Bony being better at hold up play and in the air, Lukaku better at bursting in behind and dribbling).

Yes, Ivory Coast have shown some nice passages of play. Overall the Colombians have appeared to be the more dangerous side, and look pacy on the break as you say.

CIV are not a bad team, but Colombia are better I think. I thinkthe Ivorians are playing pretty well though - it's been a relatively tight game but there are goals in this. If one team scores I think the floodgates might open because they know that a win for either team puts that team in pole position to win the section.

agreed. i watch CIV last match, and their weakness is the parts are greater than the sum. they have talented individuals but don't play as a team. their back 4 is weak as well. Colombia on the other hand (been watching them pre WC) is sum is greater than parts (especially with falcao out). they have some great players, but their system is all bought into and they attack. plus everyone thinks they have a weak back 4, totally not true as evidenced today.

i think both with make it through, but i think colombia will pull this one out.

Nik i've been on the chile and colombia bandwagon for a while now too, i have a great respect for the south american sides.

Guest Nikica

agreed. i watch CIV last match, and their weakness is the parts are greater than the sum. they have talented individuals but don't play as a team. their back 4 is weak as well. Colombia on the other hand (been watching them pre WC) is sum is greater than parts (especially with falcao out). they have some great players, but their system is all bought into and they attack. plus everyone thinks they have a weak back 4, totally not true as evidenced today.

i think both with make it through, but i think colombia will pull this one out.

Nik i've been on the chile and colombia bandwagon for a while now too, i have a great respect for the south american sides.

Yep, I said the same thing about the Colombian defence. On paper it's not great, and Yepes on paper is past it (although Armero and Zuniga are good enough full-backs and Zapata is alright when he's playing with confidence). You call irt spot on though that they execute the system perfectly - you'll remember some of us saying that Chile and Colombia have fantastic systems, and while they have some very talented players, it's their styles which make them dangerous opponents, as it gets the most out of their players.

CIV have some very good players, but there seems to be no cohesion to their attacking. It seems like they're just waiting for a moment of magic from the likes of Bony, Gradel, Gervinho, Yaya. The Colombians on the other hand seem to know what passes to pick and when (other than at the end of the half there).

Glad you're on the bandwagon. I'm sure some will say i was wrong if either doesn't make the semis, but my tip all along was for one/both of them to make the quarters and then possibly one to make the semis if they can play brilliantly. Brazil may have to face Chile in the last 16 then Colombia in the QF, so they will have earned the title if they defeat those nations on the way (although historically they have the Indian sign over Chile in WCs).

Going back to CIV, I was pleasantly surprised with their game against Japan (bear in mind it was late and I was flagging in the second half, so can't recall some of it). We spoke about that game when the draw was made (think it was myself and Cornish Steve). I used the lazy generalisation/stereotype that CIV were physical and Japan were technical and nimble (Steve also said the latter). Of course football isn't a game of absolutes and from what I recall, the Ivorians combined their physical power with some nice football to win that game. I tipped Japan but I was pleasantly surprised with the Ivorians. They and Ghana are probably the strongest of the African teams, with Algeria next. Nigeria are African champions but they're not up to much, and Cameroon unfortunately are very poor.

Guest Nikica

Chile and Columbia won't win it.

There's at least 5 better teams in the competition.

Of course. But what would be extreme success would be for either team to make the semis. Nobody expects either to win it.

Of course. But what would be extreme success would be for either team to make the semis. Nobody expects either to win it.

Thing is you say Belgium are overrated but then Chile and Columbia up. Belgium has talent all over, those two side have a few good players

Guest Nikica

Thing is you say Belgium are overrated but then Chile and Columbia up. Belgium has talent all over, those two side have a few good players

I honestly don't think guys like Vertonghen and Alderweireld who are both CBs (the latter a very good one) are better at full-back than Armero and Zuniga. You're judging them on paper rather than on their systems and how they gel together. Belgium look like a team of individuals. Belgium have a lot of players who are more well-known than Colombia's - doesn't make them better.

Not disputing that Belgium might be better than those two - I simply don't think they are and I think the advantage of playing in South America is another plus for those two teams.

Anyway, will debate it with you later, wanna go see this properly.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

wow what a run by gervinho. i wonder if wenger is sad he let him go?

He's been in excellent form for Roma, he played very well. Wonderful solo goal but Opsina was beaten at his near post, and he got a hand on it. He will be disappointed with that - you could argue he though Gervinho was going far corner but the body shape of Gervinho suggested he was going to the near post as he didn't open his body up at all.

CIV were superb after that goal though - Colombia were really hanging on for a while there. On that performance they will beat Greece, but every game is different really.

Perhaps it's because I was rooting for a team here (been neutral for most of these games), but I thought that was a fantastic game. Started out quite slow and tactical with both teams feeling one another out, but the first half was an enjoyable game. As said the game opened up after Colombia scored and that counter-attack goal was classic. All credit to CIV for almost getting both goals back.

Oh, and did you see Quintero nearly scoring from the halfway line? Not sure if he meant it or not - looked like he glanced over and was trying to go to the men free on the right and mis-hit it. Although his body shape seemed open so perhaps he meant it.

"Yepes is the Distin of Colombia. 36 and still an absolute beast. he's been everywhere today, including shutting down drogba."

That's what I mean by judging players on paper. He was excellent today - he made that error near the final whistle but to be fair he was playing on one leg.

Danny Murphy "nothing there for England to worry about" - who said he was a good pundit again? They said the same about Italy - when will the press learn their lesson ffs?

Edited by Nikica