IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Guest blueboy122

I was being sarcastic, because, for the second game in a row, he's pulled them out of the shit.

Yes he has but your post states he doesn't perform at tournaments. You mean he does perform at major tournaments but for me he has to do a lot more than score two goals against fairly poor opposition for people to say he has performed.

For a proclaimed best player in the world he certainly has not performed to his potential.

Guest Nikica

He actually played quite well prior to the Germany game at the last tournament - was at the centre of everything Argentina done, hit posts, bars etc, but people think if someone doesn't score they've been poor.

I have no problem with Iran doing what they did against superpowers - they have limited resources. It's when billionaire teams like Chelsea do it it's pathetic. Funny how Rangers and Iran are attacked for playing defensively, yet Chelsea are lauded despite having infinitely more resources than those two :rolleyes:

Very impressed by Iran, and they deserved at least a point. But that's what an all-time great player can do. It was very cruel though.

Argentina will have to play far better than that in future though. OTOH, not many teams will be as defensively deep and resolute as Iran were today. They'll get more space against the better teams, but to balance it they'll also not get away with some of the chances Iran missed today.

Edited by Nikica

Yes he has but your post states he doesn't perform at tournaments. You mean he does perform at major tournaments but for me he has to do a lot more than score two goals against fairly poor opposition for people to say he has performed.

For a proclaimed best player in the world he certainly has not performed to his potential.

You don't count stepping up when his side needed something the most as performing? He might not have had the best game but he won the game for them. I wish one of England's players had been able to do that.

Guest Nikica

You don't count stepping up when his side needed something the most as performing? He might not have had the best game but he won the game for them. I wish one of England's players had been able to do that.

I can see his point tbh - it's like my argument that Bale and Gerrard have often had poor games for Spurs/Liverpool but all is forgotten when they score a last minute screamer. Thinking about in an absolute way - yes, he won the game at the end. But you could make the argument that if he, Aguero (and Di Maria especially, who again gave the ball away for fun) had performed to anywhere near their maximum there would be no need to be pulled out of a hole in the first place, as the game would have been won long before the last minute.

It's just two different ways of analysing games, but yes, ultimately he has won the game if we look at it in purely black and white terms.

Guest Nikica

Great game - end to end which is just an enjoyable as watching one team trying to break another down (albeit in a different way). Not sure this tendency to play CBs at full-back works. It's one of my major problems with Belgium and Germany seem to do it too. In fairness Schmelzer is injured but they could play Durm at LB rather than Howedes, who is a CB. Could have moved Lahm to RB too.

Was really wanting Ghana to win there as they were great in that second half - that's two games now where I think they deserved more than they got. Glad Klose missed that opportunity to break the record - he's been a quality striker but he's not fit to lace Ronaldo's boots.

Edited by Nikica

Great game - end to end which is just an enjoyable as watching one team trying to break another down (albeit in a different way). Not sure this tendency to play CBs at full-back works. It's one of my major problems with Belgium and Germany seem to do it too. In fairness Schmelzer is injured but they could play Durm at LB rather than Howedes, who is a CB. Could have moved Lahm to RB too.

Was really wanting Ghana to win there as they were great in that second half - that's two games now where I think they deserved more than they got. Glad Klose missed that opportunity to break the record - he's been a quality striker but he's not fit to lace Ronaldo's boots.

Ghana can still qualify, and they deserve to.

i blame the argentine coach. like Roberto said at the half, 10 people behind the ball for iran, only 6 attackers for argentina. they need to take off the holding midfielders and put on more attackers to even it up a little. every time messi gets the ball 4 people are all over him. tactics are all wrong. aguero and higuain come off for 2 others, like for like.

Roberto defo can't talk about that. He's done exactly the same all season in games. Left two sitters on whilst we've been crying out for an extra body goin forward.

Guest Nikica

Nice to see Shkodran Mustafi play well when he came on, more proof of David Moyes' ability to spot future stars.

Oh wait a minute :unsure:.

:rofl:

Yeah he did play fairly well when he came on, to be fair.

Guest Nikica

Ghana can still qualify, and they deserve to.

Yep, and I agree. They're well in it, especially if Portugal beat America. That would mean Germany 4, USA 3, Portugal 3, Ghana 1. If they then beat Portugal they'd just need Germany to beat USA. A Germany - USA draw might even be enough, depending on goal difference.

On this form I'd expect them to give Belgium/Russia/Algeria/Korea Rep a good game in the last sixteen. They have played well in both games and really deserve to have about 4 points.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Enjoyable game; Spahic and Dzeko had poor evenings. I rate Bosnia as people know, but in the second half they just didn't create enough.The first half was a great game with lots of end to end action - Bosnia have the more technical, composed players, whereas Nigeria have the pace on the break (especially Emineke). The goal really hurt Bosnia as Nigeria could play on the break even more.

Mirallas (if you read this) - this is what I meant about climate. A 6pm kick-off in Cuiaba, where an Eastern European nation is playing an African nation. Nigeria were better physically and didn't struggle in the conditions, whereas Bosnia visibly tired as the game progressed. Had the game been played in 2018 in Russia the climate would have been in contrast to tonight's and made a big difference. We just can't overlook these sort of things, and I did consider it in my prediction but in the end though Bosnia's quality would prevail.

Had they got the draw I think they'd have beaten Iran and Nigeria wouldn't have beaten Argentina (although Arg would have been assured of top place so perhaps would have rested their players).

Let's not forget that Bosnia-H should really have been leading 1-0 - Dzeko was clearly onside. It was a very poor decision.

This is good for my fantasy team though as now Argentina can't rest anyone and risk losing to Nigeria and hence finishing second place.

Edited by Nikica

Roberto defo can't talk about that. He's done exactly the same all season in games. Left two sitters on whilst we've been crying out for an extra body goin forward.

Was it in the first game against Arsenal that he threw caution to the wind, bringing on Deulofeu in place of Baines? It depends on the game, the opponents, the momentum, and whether we're talking a season-long league or a knockout tournament.

Guest blueboy122

Erm no not really he was poor all game to be honest and I don't think is stepping at all he gave the ball away continuously.

Did he score a screamer... Yes he definitely did.

Is there questions marks over his performances in the major tournaments... for me definitely.

If you value performances on goals scored then no for you.

Guest blueboy122

Was it in the first game against Arsenal that he threw caution to the wind, bringing on Deulofeu in place of Baines? It depends on the game, the opponents, the momentum, and whether we're talking a season-long league or a knockout tournament.

The Derby

It seems that FIFA, unable to actually believe that Costa Rica could beat both Uruguay and Italy, have broken with their usual protocol and demanded that most of the CR team submit to urine tests to prove they didn't enhance their performance with banned drugs. Maybe I should wait for the results to come back, but this is just ridiculous.

If you value performances on goals scored then no for you.

It's not that I value performances on goals scored, if he'd assisted the two winning goals then I'd say the same thing because that's stepping up as well. It was about getting his team over the line when no one else had/could.

It seems that FIFA, unable to actually believe that Costa Rica could beat both Uruguay and Italy, have broken with their usual protocol and demanded that most of the CR team submit to urine tests to prove they didn't enhance their performance with banned drugs. Maybe I should wait for the results to come back, but this is just ridiculous.

just saw this. Regardless of the results for me, FIFA shouldn't be doing this. It's insulting.