IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

i was being sarcastic since a lot of the brits on here don't like american players. joke.

I've been surprised by a lot of the American players seeing as I don't have a clue who most of them are! But I've liked Besler, Bedoya, Beckerman, Johnson.

Disappointed with Bradley though.

Is that fuckin Chris Woods?

It is, what the fucks he doing there?

Tim Howard's treating him to a holiday after his sacking at United?

yes he is the US goalkeeper coach. Our coach just asked Tim who he wanted and he said Woods, so that's who we have while Tim is the starter. After this cup we'll probably get someone else as Tim probably won't be the keeper anymore.

I've been surprised by a lot of the American players seeing as I don't have a clue who most of them are! But I've liked Besler, Bedoya, Beckerman, Johnson.

Disappointed with Bradley though.

Good stuff. Besler should get a Euro transfer soon, he's bossed the MLS and is still very young and promising for a CB. Bedoya is awesome, plays for Nantes in Ligue 1, one of my favorites. Beckerman is a Real Salt Lake MLS guy, 32 years old but a good solid DM. Johnson is great, 23 like i said earlier Hoffenheim but just got signed by Monchengladbach, he's the one to watch.

yeah Bradley had a real stinker the first game, same here. He does like the DM role better, more of a mccarthy workhorse snuff out attack guy, but he can score and create, so he should be doing at least something here. I'm let down again by him today.

yeah Bradley had a real stinker the first game, same here. He does like the DM role better, more of a mccarthy workhorse snuff out attack guy, but he can score and create, so he should be doing at least something here. I'm let down again by him today.

Yeah, not having a good game again.Maybe it's the heat, but he looks very lethargic and doesn't look like a workhorse at all today. Lazy in his passing too.

Bradley has been terriful (terrible/awful). The fact that he is the one that gave up the ball in the midfield was just the cherry on top to his horrible world cup so far. Absolutely gutted right now. Ghana can easily beat this Portugal team and I don't see us getting a result against the US *sigh*. Haven't felt this bad since... the FA Cup game against the Shite.

Bradley has been terriful (terrible/awful). The fact that he is the one that gave up the ball in the midfield was just the cherry on top to his horrible world cup so far. Absolutely gutted right now. Ghana can easily beat this Portugal team and I don't see us getting a result against the US *sigh*. Haven't felt this bad since... the FA Cup game against the Shite.

yeah i don't know whats up with him. 2 bad games in a row? he's mr. dependable.

geoff cameron to blame for both goals. first one bad clearance, second one missed marking verala. i think he should be benched for brooks. he's german and will have something to prove against his home country.

Guest Nikica

Ronaldo - quality

Brilliant cross. Was shite the entire game, but either scores a goal or gets an assist. Pretty much his trademark. He's a joke in the way he doesn't even celebrate his team-mates' goals - such a selfish cunt.

I see nobody has mentioned how great the header was though - Ronaldo always takes the credit for everything it seems.

Feel bad for the USA. Have a feeling Ghana will go through on goal difference after they beat Portugal and Germany beat USA.

Tbh, Ghana and Germany are clearly the two best teams in the group (no offence) so that's who I want through. I think Ghana would have a better chance of ending the Belgium hype than the USA would. Their wide men would get a lot of joy out of the Belgian CBs who masquerade as full-backs - similar to the joy they got from Howedes, Mustafi and Boateng.

Edited by Nikica

Honestly, at this point I don't think any group G results in the final two games would surprise me, other than maybe a US win. All three teams below Germany seem fairly evenly matched. Germany only needs a draw to top the group - I could easily see that game playing out that way with both teams content to sit back.Ghana-Portugal could really go in any direction, win for either side or a draw.

I suspect Nikica may be right about a Belgium-USA knockout game, however - that does not seem to be a very favorable matchup. Last time USA played Belgium last year the Belgians inflicted a pretty one-sided beatdown on them (ironically the US then turned around and beat Germany about five days later). Well, if they do get through the US or whoever, they're most likely facing Argentina in the quarters. I suppose that ought to make the Belgium-haters happy.

Guest Nikica

Honestly, at this point I don't think any group G results in the final two games would surprise me, other than maybe a US win. All three teams below Germany seem fairly evenly matched. Germany only needs a draw to top the group - I could easily see that game playing out that way with both teams content to sit back.Ghana-Portugal could really go in any direction, win for either side or a draw.

I suspect Nikica may be right about a Belgium-USA knockout game, however - that does not seem to be a very favorable matchup. Last time USA played Belgium last year the Belgians inflicted a pretty one-sided beatdown on them (ironically the US then turned around and beat Germany about five days later). Well, if they do get through the US or whoever, they're most likely facing Argentina in the quarters. I suppose that ought to make the Belgium-haters happy.

I don't think they're evenly matched, tbh. I thought Ghana were clearly the better team against the USA. but the first minute goal upset the dynamic. Ghana also had a real go at Germany. The USA look like a bunch of hard-working, under-talented players to me, whereas Ghana have that little extra spark of something special. You may be right about USA and Germany playing out a draw - there is a precedent for it - but I'm not sure it will happen due to the intense scrutiny both teams would be under. It happened in 1982 as we know, and happened again more recently in a Euros tie where Denmark and Sweden conspired to play out a draw in the last few minutes to eliminate Italy, showing that playing the final group games simultaneously is not full-proof. If it gets to the last ten mins and is still a stalemate I would expect both teams to maybe play out a draw.

Portugal are just average - I thought they'd do better simply due to their recent record in tournaments, but actually the Euro 2012 QF is the only knockout game they have won since the German World Cup. They're a horribly unbalanced team, and try to play everything through a narcissistic big-game bottler, so they are getting what they deserve really. If the rumours about Ronaldo being injured are true, then Bento should drop him rather than try and have everything go through him - he was a big part of the problem tonight with his lack of defensive work and poor decision making, but Bento is too much of a coward to axe him.

The way Argentina are playing I wouldn't trust them against anyone, even Belgium who have been pretty woeful themselves. I'd love to see Messi and Argentina annihilate them though.

I don't hate Belgium the country (if you can even call it a country, it's more like a social club), I just hate the nauseating way their players are being over-hyped, as well as the way that a couple of geniuses on here mocked me pre-tournament because I said Chile and Colombia were better teams. It'd be nice to see a non-superpower like Belgium win it in a way, but I'd still rather they went out ASAP as I'm fed up of hearing about them from people who believe everything the media tells them.

Edited by Nikica

On this, I agree with Nikica. Ghana really do deserve to go through, and there has to be a decent chance they will. If Germany beat the US, Ghana beat Portugal, and the swing is 3 or more goals, Ghana go through. If they fail to beat Portugal, however, of the US manage a draw against Germany, then the US go through. It's going to be interesting to watch. If Ghana do end up going through, tonight's goal from Portugal will end up being a real heart-breaker.

Oh, I'm not suggesting there'd be any US-German collusion - that's not really the American style, and besides, I'm sure that Low and Klinsmann would both love to prove a point against each other. But the fact is that both teams accomplish their primary goals with a draw (Germany winning the group, US surviving the group) and put their tournaments in jeopardy with a loss, So it would be natural for both of them to play fairly cautiously, looking for opportunities to poach a goal when an opening arises but not taking any unnecessary risks so long as the score remains level.

And for the record, since I wasn't able to get in here before the tournament started:

Teams I am actively supporting for the rest of the WC: USA (because it's my home country), Costa Rica, Mexico (because of CONCACAF solidarity), Belgium (because I've been following Belgian football since the Scifo/Nilis/Wilmots teams of the 90s), and Chile (because I enjoy their playing style - at least that's one thing we agree on)

Teams I am actively rooting against: Greece (because they make football as enjoyable as a root canal), Uruguay (because they employ Luis Suarez), France (because rooting against them is too much fun), and Ghana (because they've knocked the US out of two straight World Cups and it's time to return the favor)

I wasn't privy to that Belgium vs. Chile/Colombia conversation, but I will say that I think there's a reasonable argument to be made. Outside of Mexico '86 the Belgians have been frequent underachievers in this tournament, however much it pains me to admit it. And while the other South American sides are used to being overshadowed by Argentina and Brazil (Paraguay has been my adopted South American side for years, so I'm quite familiar with the phenomenon), it did strike me that Chile in particular seemed to be even more overlooked than usual coming into this tournament. If they don't beat Holland tomorrow - which they very well could - then I'd normally love their chances to take out Brazil in the round of 16, if that match were being played anywhere other than Brazil. Unfortunately, they've never once beaten Brazil in Brazil in nearly a hundred years of playing each other. And if I was less sure about how Colombia would perform without Falcao in the lineup, they definitely haven't disappointed so far either.

On this, I agree with Nikica. Ghana really do deserve to go through, and there has to be a decent chance they will. If Germany beat the US, Ghana beat Portugal, and the swing is 3 or more goals, Ghana go through. If they fail to beat Portugal, however, of the US manage a draw against Germany, then the US go through. It's going to be interesting to watch. If Ghana do end up going through, tonight's goal from Portugal will end up being a real heart-breaker.

To quote one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." The US deserved three points against Portugal and didn't get it. Ecuador deserved at least a point against Switzerland and didn't get it. Iran deserved a point against Argentina and didn't get it. Australia probably deserved a point from at least one of their two matches and got nothing. Brazil probably deserved three points against Mexico, but at the same time Mexico clearly deserved the point they got just for Ochoa's heroics alone. Frankly, if teams got exactly what they deserved from every match then Portugal should have been penalized three points for their horrid display against Germany.

Fortunately this is football, not figure skating. :P

Guest Nikica

Oh, I'm not suggesting there'd be any US-German collusion - that's not really the American style, and besides, I'm sure that Low and Klinsmann would both love to prove a point against each other. But the fact is that both teams accomplish their primary goals with a draw (Germany winning the group, US surviving the group) and put their tournaments in jeopardy with a loss, So it would be natural for both of them to play fairly cautiously, looking for opportunities to poach a goal when an opening arises but not taking any unnecessary risks so long as the score remains level.

And for the record, since I wasn't able to get in here before the tournament started:

Teams I am actively supporting for the rest of the WC: USA (because it's my home country), Costa Rica, Mexico (because of CONCACAF solidarity), Belgium (because I've been following Belgian football since the Scifo/Nilis/Wilmots teams of the 90s), and Chile (because I enjoy their playing style - at least that's one thing we agree on)

Teams I am actively rooting against: Greece (because they make football as enjoyable as a root canal), Uruguay (because they employ Luis Suarez), France (because rooting against them is too much fun), and Ghana (because they've knocked the US out of two straight World Cups and it's time to return the favor)

I wasn't privy to that Belgium vs. Chile/Colombia conversation, but I will say that I think there's a reasonable argument to be made. Outside of Mexico '86 the Belgians have been frequent underachievers in this tournament, however much it pains me to admit it. And while the other South American sides are used to being overshadowed by Argentina and Brazil (Paraguay has been my adopted South American side for years, so I'm quite familiar with the phenomenon), it did strike me that Chile in particular seemed to be even more overlooked than usual coming into this tournament. If they don't beat Holland tomorrow - which they very well could - then I'd normally love their chances to take out Brazil in the round of 16, if that match were being played anywhere other than Brazil. Unfortunately, they've never once beaten Brazil in Brazil in nearly a hundred years of playing each other. And if I was less sure about how Colombia would perform without Falcao in the lineup, they definitely haven't disappointed so far either.

Yep, very good post.

I don't hate the US team or anything like that, I just think they're missing that something to get them over the line. The Low/Klinsmann thing was in my mind as I discussed the game above. You're right the game will probably be cautious (although I have predicted a comfy German win, go figure), but I don't think Germany will want to risk losing a late goal and finishing second in the group (although they'd happily play anyone from gp H, but finishing second means probably Argentina in QF rather than France, tbh they'd be happy with either I expect).

Costa Rica have been great. I remember that Belgian team from the nineties (I am 32) and I did enjoy watching them. On the Colombia/Chile/Belgium debate - I realise it's reasonable to argue that Belgium are better than Chile and Colombia. However, I was told I was clueless and 'wrong with everything' I was saying, simply because I argued that Belgium are over-hyped and those two under-hyped. One person argued via outliers (suggesting Belgium could do a Greece/Denmark, overlooking that those were 8 and 16 team Euros and this is a 32 team tournament set in South America, completely different circumstances). You and I both know that a case can't be built on anomalies, otherwise we could start saying that any moderately decent side e.g. Switzerland or Ivory Coast, could win the tournament. The guy also said that Belgium 'can beat anybody on their day' - while that may be true, there's a big difference between beating someone in a one-off game and beating three or four of the planet's top teams consecutively over two weeks in a WC knockout stage. I'm filling you in on the background of the debate/argument because there were flaws in those peoples' logic yet they still posted in a condescending manner. I lost my cool with them but from what I've told you I'm sure you can see my frustration. But just so you know - yes, an argument can be made for the Belgians being better than the South American teams. But I was patronised and told I was wrong for saying they weren't. It gets annoying.

Yep, Chile's record versus Brazil is a big problem. But I think they could still beat Brazil in the last sixteen. Brazil are notoriously strong on home soil and rarely lose, but Maracanazo is something which is in every Brazilian's subconscious - even those who were unaware of it will know of it now I'm sure. They will be worried about losing to a South American team on home soil, as they did to Uruguay all those years ago. Their team isn't that great, and I did say months ago that I felt the pressure would get to them. I feel they'd be worried about playing Colombia, Chile or Argentina simply because of the SA angle - and if Chile finish second the route has the Brazilians to meet Colombia if they beat the Chileans. Brazil will be concerned.

As for Colombia, the loss of Falcao was a problem, but it has helped them as it means all the attention isn't focused on one player (we see that issue with Ronaldo for Portugal). They still have a strong defence on grass if not on paper, a good midfield, and great forward options in Gutierrez, Bacca, Ramos, Martinez. They're so strong in attack that they could afford to drop Muriel from the provisional squad. And then of course the likes of Rodriguez, Cuadrado and Quintero can provide the moments of magic. They're a very well balanced team - not quite as gung-ho and exciting as Chile but probably more defensively sound which can take you a long way in a tournament.

As for Holland vs Chile - I am looking forward to that game immensely. Two attractive teams to watch and I'm hoping for a classic. Holland only need a draw to top the section but I think they'll go for the win, as will Chile. I fancy 3-2 Chile with Robben, Vargas and possibly a Dutch defender from a set-piece amongst the scorers.

As for the teams I am actively rooting against - Greece for the reasons you cite, Portugal because of Ronaldo and Nani, Belgium simply because of the incessant hype, and Germany only because everyone and their dog seems to be in love with them. One of my favourites are already eliminated (Bosnia-H, who honestly deserved more than they got over their games).

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

To quote one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." The US deserved three points against Portugal and didn't get it. Ecuador deserved at least a point against Switzerland and didn't get it. Iran deserved a point against Argentina and didn't get it. Australia probably deserved a point from at least one of their two matches and got nothing. Brazil probably deserved three points against Mexico, but at the same time Mexico clearly deserved the point they got just for Ochoa's heroics alone. Frankly, if teams got exactly what they deserved from every match then Portugal should have been penalized three points for their horrid display against Germany.

Fortunately this is football, not figure skating. :P

That's a fair point. In life and sport, often we don't get what we deserve (positive or negative). I think Steve's just saying that he wants the teams whom he thinks have performed well to progress. In this case, Ghana still have a big opportunity to progress, and because they've shown promise Steve and I feel they can perform again and get the three points they need. I do feel Germany will beat USA so it really depends on the GD swing. With, Ghana at -1 right now and USA at +1, it will to come down to goals scored if neither game is won by more than one clear goal. But as you're American, I don't want to berate your team. As long as Portugal don't go through, I can cope with anything :rofl:

Interestingly, in group F, if Argentina beat Nigeria 1-0 and Iran beat Bosnia-H 1-0, Iran and Nigeria will draw lots for second place. I believe this has only happened once (Italia 90). Holland and Rep of Ireland drew lots to decide who finished second and third (although as you no doubt know four third place teams qualified at the time). Rep of Ireland won the draw. This time if those scorelines materialise, whoever loses will be eliminated.

To be fair to the boy his movement and positioning was good for the goal, whereas Lukaku looked lethargic the whole game.

was great movement (or lack of it, considering he stopped :P) and a solid finish, cant take anything from the guy. My point was more that Lukaku was given bugger all service, for the second game in a row. Not saying he had the best game, I'm not blinded by my opinion of him that much, but so far in both Belgium games, noone has set him up and it seems as if his job is to simply wear out the defence which is why it seems hes underperforming and getting so frustrated.

Still, I think it was Brett saying this is good news as his transfer price wont be sky-rocketing :lol:

4-1 now.

Can't decide who's the most toe curlingly embarrassing, Clarke Carlisle doing the co-commentary or Andros Townsend doing the "expert" summary.

But they're more qualified Mike ;)

After a good night's sleep, I still feel terrible about the Portugal result. We should have won that game.

Bradley is usually so consistent, and he is having a shocker at this tournament. He needs to sit deeper, but Beckerman and Jones have been working wonders together. I would say drop Bradley for Diskerud in the next game, but when Bradley is on his game then he is unstoppable.

I do believe we will get a result against Germany though. If not, then I'm hoping Portugal gets their shit together and beats Ghana by a +1 goal differential. I'd absolutely hate to have to rely on another team to get through, but I'd take if it comes down to that.

Edited by TonkaRoost