IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

agreed, though he might seem better by comparison....

Thats a diservice to him, hes a decent pundit and commentator

Th good thing about him is he doesnt try to explain the offside rule to you like it'd your first game viewing (Clarke Carlisle) (Robbie savage).... He is quite interesting to listen to. The rest ate Muppets.

Guest Nikica

Time to start a "Why are Spain so ridiculously overrated?" Thread. ;)

I knew the Spain haters would feel vindicated tonight...they made mugs of everyone for six years - I guess the law of averages means you'd be right eventually.

They won three tournaments in a row - Belgium have won the square root of fuck all, and only a moron would say their generation is anywhere near as talented as what Spain's was. Spain's new generation coming through is far better than Belgium's too but Del Bosque won't play them.

In any case, I am glad Chile went through, as I have always liked them. Would have preferred Spain to Holland but never mind.

Oh, and how Torres keeps getting on the park or in the squad before Llorente, Negredo, Villa etc is anyone's guess. FFS, would be better taking Isco than Torres - one less striker in the squad but it's better to play Silva/Fabregas as false nine than have Torres anywhere near the team or squad.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Matt, are you saying a team can only be entertaining if they score lots of goals? You said Spain were boring as they don't score many goals.

If you need lots of goals to appreciate football then that's a shame.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I just knew in advance that all those claims that South American teams were going to shine and outclass the Europeans on this tournament were compelte bullshit; Lok at the Netherlands and Germany. Even Italy, Croatia and England. The only South American team that has left a relatively positive impression on me was Brazil. Why would people even come up with it. Does the earth's polarity and the gravitational fields or whatever mumbo jumbo make footballers perform differently in different locations on the planet? People sometimes neglect to make sense.

Yes, the South American teams are really struggling...you talk about sense then say Brazil are the only team to impress, yet they've been amongst the most unimpressive of the SA teams. Chile were brilliant tonight, Colombia very good against an admittedly weak Greece team, Ecuador almost got a draw from Switzerland. Argentina started poorly but they wer eplaying Bosnia (who are as underhyped as Belgium are overhyped) and are feeling their way into the tournament.

I don't rate Uruguay that much so no disagreement there. They and Ecuador are clearly the weakest of the SA teams. I still think they'll just about beat England though, if Suarez is anywhere near fit and plays.

Your lot on the other hand were absolutely average (being kind) and relied on a route one football to Fellaini to get back in the game. Sounds like you can't handle that some rate Chile and Colombia above your country - well I and many others do, so fucking get over it.

Don't see the point in being civil any more when guys like this make such antagonistic posts (directed at people in general who rate South American teams).

Tbh, I bet you and Peter H never watch South American qualifying. I was often awake at 2 and 3 am watching the games during the last few years - were you? Nah.

"Does the earth's polarity and the gravitational fields or whatever mumbo jumbo make footballers perform differently in different locations on the planet?"

Only three times has a nation won the tournament outside of their own continent (if we take the Americas as a whole rather than dividing it up). Two of those were in Africa and Asia so clearly it was always going to be an outside winner. Spain are the only team ever to win outside of Europe, and it wasn; in the Americas. So history proves it, yet here you are being patronising and acting like you'e in the right. Bless.

Edited by Nikica

I knew the Spain haters would feel vindicated tonight...they made mugs of everyone for six years - I guess the law of averages means you'd be right eventually.

They won three tournaments in a row - Belgium have won the square root of fuck all, and only a moron would say their generation is anywhere near as talented as what Spain's was. Spain's new generation coming through is far better than Belgium's too but Del Bosque won't play them.

In any case, I am glad Chile went through, as I have always liked them. Would have preferred Spain to Holland but never mind.

Oh, and how Torres keeps getting on the park or in the squad before Llorente, Negredo, Villa etc is anyone's guess. FFS, would be better taking Isco than Torres - one less striker in the squad but it's better to play Silva/Fabregas as false nine than have Torres anywhere near the team or squad.

Haha. well I never made a case for Belgium or against Spain, and vice versa, but either way it's just a bit of banter.

I will agree that Torres getting on the field is shocker.

Guest Nikica

Haha. well I never made a case for Belgium or against Spain, and vice versa, but either way it's just a bit of banter.

I will agree that Torres getting on the field is shocker.

Well yeah, I realise it's banter as I like you as a poster. But I am speaking pretty generally - there are actually lots of morons on this planet who will say Spain are overrated and shite because of this tournament and mean it, even though the team has won three tournaments in a row. These same people will be talking up Belgium who have done absolutely nothing in football for ages and couldn't even qualify for the tournaments Spain won.

They'll talk up Holland too, even though Holland were as bad at the Euros as Spain have been in this tournament - it's a cautinoary tale as Spain could turn things around in 2016 and 2018. The curse of the champions strikes again.

In the here and now Spain have been poor - however, that doesn't mean they weren't exceptional in the past, or that they can't be great again in the future. I don't think anyone would say that a 5-1 loss to Holland reflects their actual quality. Spain firing would give Chile a better game as well. I wanted Chile to win anyway as I like them.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I didn't watch the game, I must have misinterpreted the match report. Yeah I forgot to mention France.

You didn't even watch them play yet you're judging them by match reports...facepalm

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Called it. Said they wouldn't progress, got laughed at.

Boom.

Who laughed at you (and Matt)? I like Spain more than most on here so I presume you're including me there. I rate Chile highly and even though I don't rate Holland much, it was clear they could (a big could) be deadly on the counter-attack. It was a freak result though - if you played the game again Spain would probably win. Their loss to Chile tonight was partly due to how good Chile are, but also partly due to their confidence being in tatters after the Holland game.

Anyway, people predicted they'd struggle in 2010 and 2012 too. Say the same thing long enough and eventually you'll be right.

I've never really known why people hate Spain. They have some stunningly good players, have played great possession football and have been the best team in all of the tournaments they've won - yet everyone hates them...I mean people out them are actually revelling in their collapse. It's strange, and there's some very strange people out there.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Fair play Matt and Ten I would have predicted at least semi's.

How are people rating Germany this year?

Very good but not exceptional. Have a chance of winning the tournament simply because there's no genuinely exceptional team in the entire competition. If they were up against Spain 2010 or France 1998 you could forget it.

Guest Nikica

Well tbf, Barcelona and Spain have always played faggy football with their boring tiki taka. That's why I was a heavy supporter of Chelsea during CL semis in 2012.

Wanting Chelsea to win over Barca in 2012... :rofl:

Anyone who thinks Barca were boring must not really like football. Do you only watch them against English teams in the CL? I mean generally their style is pass and move football and pressing football taken to perfection. Did you see how they played against Arsenal in 2010? That first twenty minutes they crucified Arsenal, it was enthralling - they didn't score in that 20 mins though so for people like you who can't see beyond goals it won't have been impressive. They destroyed RM 5-0, hammered the Mancs in two finals, and have produced plenty of stunning games. I'd hate to know which teams you find entertaining tbh.

Seriously, have some of you ever even played football? Everyone I know who does (including myself) would kill to be able to play football the way Spain do. Anyone who can actually play football would never call them boring - unless it's the clueless people in English football who have an aversion to passing football.

You do realise your precious Belgian players would freely admit they'd love to play like Spain and Barca have over the last five years, yes?

With all due respect, if Barca are boring then what are Everton?! Everton are like a poor man's Barca. You cream yourselves over your link to Barca in the Everton forum, then slate their style in the general football forum. It simply doesn't compute. If some of you find them so boring then perhaps they should stop loaning you players.

I'm being a prick but in all fairness some of you are talking nonsense and seeing as you're pretty antagonistic (even when you're clearly wrong), I've decided to reply in kind.

Edit: brilliant, got Mandzukic in my Mirror fantasy team for this game.

Edited by Nikica