IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

I was just about to slate Belgium for going long ball! Get in lad :)

BBC...

"What an impact! Belgium are level as big substitute Marouane Fellaini rises above the Algeria defence to knock in Kevin De Bruyne's pinpoint cross from the left. That is the Fellaini we remember from Everton, not the poor man's equivalent we saw at Manchester United last season."

Wilmots has an unhealthy preference for Chadli.

you must've been heading off to Amsterdam, to sell all the diamonds you were crapping out....

On another note, I know the WC is stressful for the players, but Dani Alves seems to have aged!

Ochoa was on a different level tonight. Brazil aren't looking like world champions right now.

Not tonight, not last game either. Honestly, Im not that surprised and Im a little concerned for the country if they crash and burn in the first round after they qualify

Not tonight, not last game either. Honestly, Im not that surprised and Im a little concerned for the country if they crash and burn in the first round after they qualify

Agreed. If they somehow failed to make it out of the group state all hell would break loose.

... And then if Argentina went on to win it? I would not want to be in Brazil.

For all the creative attacking midfielders they have they are seriously lacking up front. Fred & Jo? Really? I would be unimpressed to have them as our (Everton's) options upfront, let alone the mighty Brazils!

agreed. to be honest, Im surprised they didnt follow Spains example of playing 4-6-0 and having 4 attacking midfielders rotating and swarming the defence.

Fred is terrible

And he plays for no team right now. According to the BBC, his former team were relegated and he left them.

bloody nora, Id take him based on that performance. he played well in the other game too (not that he was really challenged), though not as impressive as today

This kind of game was coming from Belgium. All of our friendlies in the lead up to the World Cup played out similarly. Incredibly stale, but somehow we do end up winning. Our positional play is just really bad. In the earliest phase of build up play, we regularly had 5 people on the same fucking line in front of their 11 men strong defensive block: Kompany and Van Buyten, approaching the halfway line, next to each other with Vertonghen, Witsel and Alderweireld like two yards in front. Then there were 5 more Belgians hidden somewhere in that defensive block. How are you supposed to pass it forward like that?

One of our problems which was very visible against Algeria is that we don't have natural full backs and they were just never high enough up the pitch. A normal, contemporary side always tries to build overloads, centrally and on the wing. But our full backs remain too deep. The opposition's full backs tuck in next to their centre backs and even their wide men defended deep in their block. When we did get the ball forward to Hazard for example, he was met by three defenders: the full back with two men covering, a centre back and a wide men who covered the middle. He then has no other option switch play or to go back to Vertonghen who'll be like 10-15 yards deeper and then he can switch play. But when play is switched from the left to the right, we can't build the right tempo because the right back is like 15 yards too deep and by the time he's in position to be played in, the defense has switched over obviously.

I celebrated nonetheless though :D

If Russia and Korea have scouted any of our games, they'll be defending deep as well regardless of what they like to do normally. Perhaps we should just put Fellaini in as a second striker and aim long balls for his chest. Mertens can come in on the right. And De Bruyne can move to the eight, though I doubt Wilmots will be that daring. He was shit today, but in general the more he touches the ball, the better.