IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

He faded by half-time, though, and Kagawa was rather anonymous throughout.

Japan's style of play is very different. They give the ball away a lot, but they win it back a surprising number of times through sheer work-rate. Also, they allow a lot of balls into the box but seem rather good at making the crucial last-minute tackles. Their goalie was none too good, though, and really should have saved the header that resulted in CIV's second goal.

CIV got into the game more and more as time went by. As I mentioned elsewhere, the difference was Drogba. Within five minutes of him being on the field, CIV scored twice.

Holland were brilliant. And van Gaal's plan worked pretty well. Sticking with two up front and an attacking midfielder in behind as well, with their full backs always high up the pitch worked great. Robben and van Persie are by far their best players and they had 1v1 matchups all game.

I wonder how long Spain are gonna stick with Casillas btw. De Gea is obviously the better goal keeper now. I'd start Pedro instead of two playmakers on wing and I'd be thinking of introducing Koke into the starting XI (as a replacement for Xavi or Xabi Alonso) as well.

The debate now in Spain is: should Del Bosque make changes or let the same team that won and provided the best page in the history book try again?

Footballistically we knew Xavi was the heart and the key of the team and his legs are gone, we lasted until he faded. Most of the players are exhausted after long seasons and at 32-34 that means they are not ready for more than 30 mins. If I were the manager I would intoduce young blood into the team, removing in midfield Alonso, Xavi and playing Martinez and Koke. Thiago should have provided creativity and extra spark, but he aggravated his injured right right before the WC.

Casillas has not had continuity and he should have left Madrid last year. Nfortunately De Gea got injured today so Casillas will keep his starting berth, as Reina is just a glue guy in the dressing room.

Pique had been injured during the season and his physical shape is poor at the moment. That makes him insecure and when a defender feels insecure gives two steps back... breaking the defensive line and exposing the team to long balls. Ramos was playing very well in the end of the season but he does not get together with Pique and it showed.

Torres is a joke, he shouldnt even be in Brazil. Llorente was left out and that sucked, Costa is a good striker but he doesnt fit into the Spanish system, we should play Fabregas instead.

Tactically, the game was very well planned by LVG. Iniesta, Silva, Xavi and Alonso have no legs (the latter two) or intention (the first two) to defend, so to use the wings to cross was very wise. Pedro is much better to track back and provide runs, Silva looked completely clueless and he should be substituted.

All in all, I guess my starting XI for the Chile game would be: Casillas -Azpilicueta, Albiol, Ramos, Alba - Busquets, Martinez, Koke - Iniesta, Fabregas, Pedro.

now coentrao is injured as well. looking better and better for the US. ronaldo looks gassed too, definitely not fit and he will wilt in manaus. we've got a shot, just need to take care of business tonight.

most movement Ronaldo has made all night was being a whiny little bitch and sprinting up to the ref to complain....

cock :dry:

I just knew in advance that all those claims that South American teams were going to shine and outclass the Europeans on this tournament were compelte bullshit; Lok at the Netherlands and Germany. Even Italy, Croatia and England. The only South American team that has left a relatively positive impression on me was Brazil. Why would people even come up with it. Does the earth's polarity and the gravitational fields or whatever mumbo jumbo make footballers perform differently in different locations on the planet? People sometimes neglect to make sense.

I just knew in advance that all those claims that South American teams were going to shine and outclass the Europeans on this tournament were compelte bullshit; Lok at the Netherlands and Germany. Even Italy, Croatia and England. The only South American team that has left a relatively positive impression on me was Brazil. Why would people even come up with it. Does the earth's polarity and the gravitational fields or whatever mumbo jumbo make footballers perform differently in different locations on the planet? People sometimes neglect to make sense.

Think it has more to do with the climate. Try playing in 100% humidty.

It's not easy.

No team has looked that great. Except Costa Rica and Holland... but it could also be attributed to the opposing teams being poor (ex: Portugal against Germany).

Edited by TonkaRoost

That'll be down to the fact that every World Cup ever played in South (or central) America has been won by a South American team. All very well playing one or two good games in alien conditions but putting seven together is a different matter.

Only Brazil in '58 winning in Europe breaks the "home team" rule (finals in USA, SA and Japan/Korea being ignored for obvious reasons).

I just knew in advance that all those claims that South American teams were going to shine and outclass the Europeans on this tournament were compelte bullshit; Lok at the Netherlands and Germany. Even Italy, Croatia and England.

Italy and England were dreadful compared with the other teams. Again, they will struggle to reach the next round. I just fail to see how anyone can praise these two teams after their awful performances. Even France were better, despite falling down every 60 seconds.

Italy and England were dreadful compared with the other teams. Again, they will struggle to reach the next round. I just fail to see how anyone can praise these two teams after their awful performances. Even France were better, despite falling down every 60 seconds.

I didn't watch the game, I must have misinterpreted the match report. Yeah I forgot to mention France.

You'll see.

Little bit of history in the making here. Iran and Nigeria are playing the 13th match of the tournament, and we haven't had a draw yet - the first World Cup in 1930 somehow didn't have any draws (in 18 total matches played), but the longest draw-less streak to start any tournament since then had been the 1934 tournament which saw its first draw in the tenth game played that year.

Of course, these two teams seem determined to break this streak anyway, but I suppose there's still time for one of them to get lucky.

Nikica Jelavic

Jo

Tim Cahill

Baines, Barkley, Jagielka,

Segundo Castillo

Phillipe Senderos

Joseph Yobo

Tim Howard

Shkodran Mustafi

Marouane Fellaini, Kevin Mirallas, Romelu Lukaku

15 in total, although it feels like a lot more because we've been linked to so many of them over the last few seasons.