IGNORED

Europa League Watch

To be honest I've not looked at how it works. I assumed as we were the leading qualifiers from our country so would be seeded.

Is that not right?

No. It's done on "club coefficient" so we'll be well down the list. Probably pot three I think but we might squeeze pot 2, we'll know for certain after tomorrow.

There are seven teams already qualified with higher ratings than us and another fourteen in the Europa playoffs tomorrow. Five more teams will drop in after losing champs league qualifiers tonight and three of those are guaranteed to have a higher rating than us; the only two of ten in action tonight with lower ratings are Ludogorets and Malmo, so get behind them (both at home and both just one goal down from the first leg)! Think we'll probably need both to win to have a chance of pot 2.

We'd still need an upset tomorrow or we'll be 25th so just miss the second bucket (twelve in each seeding).

No. It's done on "club coefficient" so we'll be well down the list. Probably pot three I think but we might squeeze pot 2, we'll know for certain after tomorrow.

There are seven teams already qualified with higher ratings than us and another fourteen in the Europa playoffs tomorrow. Five more teams will drop in after losing champs league qualifiers tonight and three of those are guaranteed to have a higher rating than us; the only two of ten in action tonight with lower ratings are Ludogorets and Malmo, so get behind them (both at home and both just one goal down from the first leg)! Think we'll probably need both to win to have a chance of pot 2.

We'd still need an upset tomorrow or we'll be 25th so just miss the second bucket (twelve in each seeding).

So basically we'll get 2 hard teams then us the.n 1 or 2 shit teams.

Fucked that up haven't I? We want teams with lower rankings than us to drop down so in fact the last thing we need is for those two to go through; we want them to lose :lol:.

Fucked that up haven't I? We want teams with lower rankings than us to drop down so in fact the last thing we need is for those two to go through; we want them to lose :lol:.

Unfortunately, Malmo are already 2-0 up.

The truth is that, to win the cup, we have to play top-seeded teams anyway, so who cares when we beat them?

Unfortunately, Malmo are already 2-0 up.

The truth is that, to win the cup, we have to play top-seeded teams anyway, so who cares when we beat them?

Perfectly true, and there will be teams in the top two pots who will be far weaker than us anyway. It's just that being in three potentially puts us at more risk of a "group of death". You can be damn sure however, that the higher ranked teams will be desperate to avoid us.

Perfectly true, and there will be teams in the top two pots who will be far weaker than us anyway. It's just that being in three potentially puts us at more risk of a "group of death". You can be damn sure however, that the higher ranked teams will be desperate to avoid us.

We'll get a twat of a group it's a knocking bet. Remember Villareal? Probably one of the few teams we could have got that would have given us trouble and BOOM .

So after tonight another four teams have dropped in ahead of us, which currently makes us twelfth ranked. To stay in the top twenty four we need only eleven higher ranked teams to qualify tomorrow, which looks unlikely. Lyon are in trouble but beyond that none of the "bigger" teams look like losing, though there are four that aren't (in my opinion) home and hosed; Twente, Metalist, PAOK and Sparta Prague. Need three of those five to go out to be in pot two.

Not going to happen.

So after tonight another four teams have dropped in ahead of us, which currently makes us twelfth ranked. To stay in the top twenty four we need only eleven higher ranked teams to qualify tomorrow, which looks unlikely. Lyon are in trouble but beyond that none of the "bigger" teams look like losing, though there are four that aren't (in my opinion) home and hosed; Twente, Metalist, PAOK and Sparta Prague. Need three of those five to go out to be in pot two.

Not going to happen.

Correction. We are down to 13th - there are 12 teams already ahead of us.

Sevilla, Napoli, Dynamo Kiev, Fiorentina, and Salzburg are locked into pot 1.

Lille, Copenhagen, Steaua Bucharest, Standard Liege, Celtic, Besiktas, and Wolfsburg are guaranteed one of the top two pots.

Of the 62 remaining teams in the Europa playoffs, 14 have higher ratings than us, so we need four of them to lose.

99% likely to advance:

Inter Milan (3-0 up on some random Icelandic club)

Villareal (3-0 up on Astana)

Panathinaikos (4-1 up on a Danish club I'm too lazy to spell)

Tottenham (2-1 up on AEL Limassol, 2nd leg at home)

Borussia Monchengladbach (3-2 up on Sarajevo, 2nd leg at home)

Very safe, but not completely safe:

Trabzonspor (2-0 up on Rostov, 2nd leg at Rostov)

Eindhoven (1-0 up on a club from Belarus, 2nd leg in Belarus)

Club Brugge (2-1 up on Grasshoppers, 2nd leg in Belgium)

Still in some doubt:

Dnipro (2-1 up on Hajduk Split, 2nd leg at Hajduk)

Twente (0-0 draw with Qarabag, 2nd leg in Holland)

Metalist (0-0 draw with Chorznow, 2nd leg in Ukraine)

Sparta Prague (1-1 draw with Zwolle, 2nd leg in Prague)

PAOK (losing 1-0 to Zimbru, 2nd leg in Greece)

Lyon (losing 2-1 to Astra, 2nd leg in Romania)

Those bottom six are our best chance, but we'd need at least four of them to break for us. Agree with Mike that it isn't likely.

Now you do know, of course, that regardless of whether we're the second or third seed, the draw WILL put us either in Napoli's (i.e. Rafa's) group or in Villareal's group. It's absolutely inevitable that we're going to end up paired with one of those two. If the soccer gods have an especially cruel sense of humor, they'll put Steaua Bucharest in our group too - ghosts of 2005 and 1986 all rolled into one.

Edited by JD in DC

They've been in Europe more recently than us, and at a higher level. Dont see why its stupid?

Lets use it as an incentive to set the record straight :)

Because we finished higher in the league than them we should be rewarded in the draw for that. We performed better and qualified in a "better" for want of a better word way than them.

Not just because it's us, anyone finishing in 5th should go in the draw higher seeded than a team who qualified in say 6th or 7th. I don't like the way they seed teams on years past it's unfair imo. You should be seeded in your merit for how you wualify.

Like I say I'm not saying that because it's us it should be that way across the board. It's contradictory because Spurs have to qualify because we finished better than them but once they do they get rewarded for past appearances and we get kind of punished even though we finished higher.

It's a stupid system to me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/roberto-martinez-to-treat-everton-in-europa-league-as-an-interesting-experiment-9697215.html

Does this mean that the youngsters are going to get a shot? Don't like the word interesting experiment though. Only time will tell I guess :)

One or two might get a go but from that it doesn't sound like he's just going to be putting out weakened sides. By interesting experiment I just take it to mean he's interested to see how the players cope with the added demands.

At least I hope not, if he just pisses about with it then it was a waste of time qualifying for it and I'll not be happy.

Pretty nice wrap up by JD in DC covering all the upsets we need to be supporting today.

However I believe we only need 3 upsets rather than 4 to occur for us to land in pot 2. Here's an updated look at where we stand:

I do believe you're right; take that JD! Get a new abacus before you start correcting me next time :shaking fist:.

I do believe you're right; take that JD! Get a new abacus before you start correcting me next time :shaking fist:.

:rofl:

But my correction was correct - we are in 13th place. You're the one who said we were in 12th place and needed 3 upsets to stay in the top 24; my miscalculation was based off your faulty numbers. So there! :P