IGNORED

Has Martinez got it wrong?

Lowensda

Martinez not long ago said something about stats being misleading. I'm sure this was to do with Goals Conceded and our defence. He's been questioned on it week after week. And rightly so, some might say. He says it's not his 'main concern' or 'priority'. What he says can easily be blown out of proportion by those who dislike him, especially with all these stats flying around. Maybe he's right not to be shitting himself? We have been dodgy at the back, no doubt. So many individual errors etc etc. But take out those first 3 games, when we conceded 10 (those first 3 that I believe set the tone for the season so far), and compare every team defensively for the next 18 games...

Soton 12

Chelsea 15

Man City 18

Man Utd 18

West ham 20

Arsenal 21

Villa 22

L'Pool 23

C Palace 23

EVERTON 24

Swansea 24

West Brom 24

Hull City 24

Stoke 25

Spurs 26

Sunderland 27

Leicester 28

Newcastle 28

Burnley 29

QPR 32

The 'picture' ain't as bad. This is only in response to the questions about his supposedly ignoring the defensive side of things for the last few posts. As said, while he knows it isn't ideal and is still below par, it ain't 'as bad as that'.

Martinez not long ago said something about stats being misleading. I'm sure this was to do with Goals Conceded and our defence. He's been questioned on it week after week. And rightly so, some might say. He says it's not his 'main concern' or 'priority'. What he says can easily be blown out of proportion by those who dislike him, especially with all these stats flying around. Maybe he's right not to be shitting himself? We have been dodgy at the back, no doubt. So many individual errors etc etc. But take out those first 3 games, when we conceded 10 (those first 3 that I believe set the tone for the season so far), and compare every team defensively for the next 18 games...

Soton 12

Chelsea 15

Man City 18

Man Utd 18

West ham 20

Arsenal 21

Villa 22

L'Pool 23

C Palace 23

EVERTON 24

Swansea 24

West Brom 24

Hull City 24

Stoke 25

Spurs 26

Sunderland 27

Leicester 28

Newcastle 28

Burnley 29

QPR 32

The 'picture' ain't as bad. This is only in response to the questions about his supposedly ignoring the defensive side of things for the last few posts. As said, while he knows it isn't ideal and is still below par, it ain't 'as bad as that'.

Lol I see what you mean, if we take 14% of our games out of the equation we dont seem that bad

Lol I see what you mean, if we take 14% of our games out of the equation we dont seem that bad

Ha! Yeah, take the first 14% of games out and we have conceded 29% less goals!!! All is ok now!!!

You know what I mean. And it's only in reference to how Martinez is handling questions about 'defensive stats' or whatever.

Makes more sense than many stats quoted on here; pass completions rates, passes made, tackles made, distance run, average size of dick; it's all nonsense and it drives me insane that people try to prove their points by it it.

"Lies, damn lies, and statistics" is so true.

I accept (because I'm sure someone will point it out) that I use stats from time to time to make a point but I always try to use tangible ones rather than the nebulous crap spouted by organisations like Opta.

Soton 12

Chelsea 15

Man City 18

Man Utd 18

West ham 20

Arsenal 21

Villa 22

L'Pool 23

C Palace 23

EVERTON 24

Swansea 24

West Brom 24

Hull City 24

Stoke 25

Spurs 26

Sunderland 27

Leicester 28

Newcastle 28

Burnley 29

QPR 32

Hmmmm yeh let's ignore 3 games... Even when ignored - we're still in and around the shit sides.

Makes more sense than many stats quoted on here; pass completions rates, passes made, tackles made, distance run, average size of dick; it's all nonsense and it drives me insane that people try to prove their points by it it.

I accept (because I'm sure someone will point it out) that I use stats from time to time to make a point but I always try to use tangible ones rather than the nebulous crap spouted by organisations like Opta.

It is true.

More often than not what you perceive to be true is right based on your eyes and judgement.

The thing that stats do is stop people lying to themselves. Sometimes someone will try and praise their favourite player or criticise someone without real reason. The stats can stop that.

The biggest stat I want to see is Everton win rate with and without James McCarthy.

It is true.

More often than not what you perceive to be true is right based on your eyes and judgement.

The thing that stats do is stop people lying to themselves. Sometimes someone will try and praise their favourite player or criticise someone without real reason. The stats can stop that.

The biggest stat I want to see is Everton win rate with and without James McCarthy.

I know we lost one because of him. Stoke at home.

He's played in 13 premier league games this season. We've won 4.

Win rate is about 30%

Edited by MC11

I'm with you, I never use stats because they are misleading and can be turned to suit different points of view.

I don'rt even read post that quote them. I use my eyes and I see it as I watch it.

I don't need stats to change or re-enforcey point of view.

Spot on !

Statistics, certainly within football are waste of time, total job creation, to be spouted by idiots when they have nothing else to say!

Player x covers 7 miles during a game, which is better than player y who covers 5.Thing is the stats don't tell you player x had his finger up his arse for 3 miles and didn't make one usefull contribution to the game.Thing is he most be better than y because of distance covered.

Another well spouted stat is passes made, player x made 28 during a game, player y made 56, no mention of length of pass, quality of pass, was he under pressure when he made it, did it lead to anything !!

Headers won during a match !.....how close was the defender, was he fouling him, how good was the cross/pass, sun in his eyes, strong wind.....it's endless.

Shankley, clough etc would probably be able to show certain people what they could do with their list of stats!

I don't want the stats from Mondays game against WBA, I want 3 points, I just want to see my team put in 100%.

Though I'm sure someone will tell me that according to stats most will only put in about 72% :crying:

Edited by Blue 250

I know we lost one because of him. Stoke at home.

He's played in 13 premier league games this season. We've won 4.

Win rate is about 30%

Oh dear oh dear, your speed to want to maybe minismize the importance of McCarthy to our team has led to me doing some research, now forgive me if I post this again elsewhere but it really is telling.

In every game be it cup or not I have applied 3 points for a win and if he never played more than 45 minutes then I never counted it.

OK lets get to it:-

He has played 13 games where he has played +45 minutes and there are 13 games where he never played or didn't complete more than 45 minutes. So its a good sample size.

• In the 13 games he has featured as per criteria above. We have won 23 points - 1.76 per game. In the 13 games he never featured we have won 9 points - 0.69 per game.
  • In the 13 games he featured we scored 28 goals - 2.15 per game. In the games he never we scored 11 goals - 0.84 per game
  • In the 13 games he featured we conceded 18 goals - 1.38 per game. The games he didnt play we conceded 19.
top and bottom, of it MC is he is soooooo important to us, Edited by Hafnia

mionutes

Oh dear oh dear, your speed to want to maybe minismize the importance of McCarthy to mour team has led to ,me doing some research, now forgive me if I post this again but it really is telling.

In every game be it cup or not I have applied 3 points for a win and if he never played more than 45 minutes then I counted it.

OK lets get to it:-

He has played 13 games where he has played +45 minutes and there are 13 games where he never played or didn't complete more than 45 minutes. So its a good sample size.

• In the 13 games he has featured as per criteria above. We have won 23 points - 1.76 per game. In the 13 games he never featured we have won 9 points - 0.69 per game.
  • In the 13 games he featured we scored 28 goals - 2.15 per game. In the games he never we scored 11 goals - 0.84 per game
  • In the 13 games he featured we conceded 18 goals - 1.38 per game. The games he didnt play we conceded 19.

top and bottom, of it MC is he is soooooo important to us,

:doh:

:doh:

Explain....

I mean everyone I likes to think they know the reasons why and why not we do well or not so well. We have a player who we have a 50/50 split with and without and the Points earned with and goals scored are a massive difference.

Is it that you don't understand it?

Edited by Hafnia

Hmmmm yeh let's ignore 3 games... Even when ignored - we're still in and around the shit sides.

As said clearly in my last 2 posts...It is only in relevance to why Martinez MIGHT be answering questions regarding defensive stats etc with a bit of disdain.

It wasn't aimed at trying to 'cover up' where we are in the league, our performances etc.

Generalising the entire season based on one person is ridiculous. I forgot it was a one man game. There are SO MANY other factors to consider when discussing the points we've picked up.

We've played our best football this season in the last 3 games and I haven't heard anyone calling for McCarthy. Players like Besic have come in and have grown into the team.

I think your stats do tell a story. That we are no worse or better without him. He's a defensive player who offers little in the final third, yet you think we score more because of him. He's a defensive player and we're conceding just as many goals with him in or out.

I must admit I kind of like stats...within reason.

You see, I can forget things quite quickly. My memory is quite poor. So a 'stat' for me, for example looking at Kev Mirallas goals etc, reminds me how important he is. Sometimes a stat is useful. I like looking at numbers etc. I don't know why. Maybe because I have to as a manager...salary, sales, items, sign ups etc etc. I don't know.

But like any number, they can be manipulated to your favour. So a lot out there with Opta is to be taken lightly.

We can use our own eyes, mind etc to make an opinion, but that opinion usually contains a prejudice that we have already decided on. Sometimes a stat will prove us wrong.

I think you have to balance it out a bit.

Haf is using points totals with or without McCarthy, but is totally disregarding other factors. Such as other key players missing in those lost. Key players playing in those games won. Quality of opposition, individual errors etc etc. you could go on and on.

Generalising the entire season based on one person is ridiculous. I forgot it was a one man game. There are SO MANY other factors to consider when discussing the points we've picked up.

We've played our best football this season in the last 3 games and I haven't heard anyone calling for McCarthy. Players like Besic have come in and have grown into the team.

I think your stats do tell a story. That we are no worse or better without him. He's a defensive player who offers little in the final third, yet you think we score more because of him. He's a defensive player and we're conceding just as many goals with him in or out.

Generalising??? It's been clear as day to people who can follow the game that he is a massive miss for us. These stats prove it.

As an electrician do you ignore your diagnostic equipment say if they contradict what you thought you knew???

It's not even a slight difference in results with and without McCarthy, its top half versus relegation.

Explain....

I mean everyone I likes to think they know the reasons why and why not we do well or not so well. We have a player who we have a 50/50 split with and without and the Points earned with and goals scored are a massive difference.

Is it that you don't understand it?

Just go back a few posts before this one!

Stats NEVER show the full picture.

Just in case you don't undertand I'll put my other post below.

Spot on !

Statistics, certainly within football are waste of time, total job creation, to be spouted by idiots when they have nothing else to say!

Player x covers 7 miles during a game, which is better than player y who covers 5.Thing is the stats don't tell you player x had his finger up his arse for 3 miles and didn't make one usefull contribution to the game.Thing is he most be better than y because of distance covered.

Another well spouted stat is passes made, player x made 28 during a game, player y made 56, no mention of length of pass, quality of pass, was he under pressure when he made it, did it lead to anything !!

Headers won during a match !.....how close was the defender, was he fouling him, how good was the cross/pass, sun in his eyes, strong wind.....it's endless.

Shankley, clough etc would probably be able to show certain people what they could do with their list of stats!

I don't want the stats from Mondays game against WBA, I want 3 points, I just want to see my team put in 100%.

Though I'm sure someone will tell me that according to stats most will only put in about 72% :crying:

This one !

Hope it helps.

Here's the only games we've lost with McCarthy out:

United away

Spurs away

City away

Southampton away

Hull away

You could say they are all (bar hull) tough fixtures with our strongest team anyway!

The other games he's missed:

Hull Home - 1 point

QPR Home - 3 points

City Home - 1 point.

Edited by MC11

Here's the only games we've lost with McCarthy out:

United away

Spurs away

City away

Southampton away

Hull away

You could say they are all (bar hull) tough fixtures with our strongest team anyway!

What about the games we didn't win without him.... Come on MC I can do this all day long.

I'm currently in Costa coffee enjoying a caramel latte but will gladly share the excel file I made to analyse this.

It really is critical. The inclusion or exclusion of McCarthy in our side has a paramount effect on our results. Quite simply win more games with him, without him we draw and lose too many. It's that simple.

No offense mate but that's just waffle if I'm honest. Why do F1 TEAMS spend millions on diagnostic s???

It's your stats that are waffle, read the couple of posts before this one was posted.Sure you can apply stats to friggin machines (F1)

but not to footballers.

Try and explain how some of my examples fall to pieces, your whole arguement/examples of stats are flawed.

F1........diagnostics :rofl: .

Example ; McCarthy plays in x amounts of games and Everton only win x amount, what does this stat prove ! who were the opponents ? how well did the other midfielders perform around him ? was the person/persons marking McCarthy playing well.

Stats fall down on so many levels.

Job creation for people who spend too long squinting at numbers.Take some time out from your data and watch the player.

It's your stats that are waffle, read the couple of posts before this one was posted.Sure you can apply stats to friggin machines (F1)

but not to footballers.

Try and explain how some of my examples fall to pieces, your whole arguement/examples of stats are flawed.

F1........diagnostics :rofl: .

Example ; McCarthy plays in x amounts of games and Everton only win x amount, what does this stat prove ! who were the opponents ? how well did the other midfielders perform around him ? was the person/persons marking McCarthy playing well.

Stats fall down on so many levels.

Job creation for people who spend too long squinting at numbers.Take some time out from your data and watch the player.

Why do I skim read your posts? Keep them succinct ffs. You spend line after line labouring one point. You lose its impact.

Strikers have easily tangible stats as do keepers, goals scored - clean sheets kept.

Other positions require a little more analysis. You and MC are the only ones to dispute the McCarthy stats. Speaks volumes. Must be a teenage thing.

Why do I skim read your posts? Keep them succinct ffs. You spend line after line labouring one point. You lose its impact.

Strikers have easily tangible stats as do keepers, goals scored - clean sheets kept.

Other positions require a little more analysis. You and MC are the only ones to dispute the McCarthy stats. Speaks volumes. Must be a teenage thing.

It's not about disputing. I'd have McCarthy in my first 11. It's the complete overrating of him. You're basically trying to suggest HE ALONE makes us better in defense and attack!

Totally disregarding all the other things that can impact on individual results. The main ones being the strength of opposition, individual performances, individual errors, performances of opposition players and other key players being involved! But you'll turn a blind eye to that.

This is where I'm different to you I may blow smoke up Mirallas ass but I have good reason. I'd never ever suggest we've lost because he wasn't playing!

You seem to forget we've been shit with McCarthy in the side for months!

Edited by MC11

It's not about disputing. I'd have McCarthy in my first 11. It's the complete overrating of him. You're basically trying to suggest HE ALONE makes us better in defense and attack!

Totally disregarding all the other things that can impact on individual results. The main ones being the strength of opposition, individual performances, individual errors, performances of opposition players and other key players being involved! But you'll turn a blind eye to that.

This is where I'm different to you I may blow smoke up Mirallas ass but I have good reason. I'd never ever suggest we've lost because he wasn't playing!

You seem to forget we've been shit with McCarthy in the side for months!

If we are gonna talk literally, he has made numerous goal line clearances, resulting in him winning us points.

If we are gonna talk literally, he has made numerous goal line clearances, resulting in him winning us points.

The problem is Brett he has stated that McCarthy is overrated. So he has to dilute his importance. The points with and without are so ridiculously powerful that there is no debate. Yet he tries to bring in other variables, its futile.

Every poster on here bar MC values McCarthy as one of or if not the most crucial player we have.

The problem is Brett he has stated that McCarthy is overrated. So he has to dilute his importance. The points with and without are so ridiculously powerful that there is no debate. Yet he tries to bring in other variables, its futile.

Every poster on here bar MC values McCarthy as one of or if not the most crucial player we have.

Im with you when it comes to McCarthy however he does have a very valid point about needing to take the opposition into account.