IGNORED

Religion debate

Matt

That's why religion or non religion should be personal and respected.

Not sure about 'respected' - why would you respect something that persecutes you and demonises your lifestyle (e.g. if you're gay)? Plenty of minorities in the world who are victims of religious persecution.

Edited by formby

So does Christianity.

Absolutely. Both religions have equal blood on their hands. That was the point I was making to Peter H. I think it's fair to say, though, that the practice of forced conversion has fallen out of favour in Christianity. Sadly, this is not always the case in many Islamic countries.

Absolutely. Both religions have equal blood on their hands. That was the point I was making to Peter H. I think it's fair to say, though, that the practice of forced conversion has fallen out of favour in Christianity. Sadly, this is not always the case in many Islamic countries.

in western society maybe, in Africa it's still ongoing to a degree

in western society maybe, in Africa it's still ongoing to a degree

Many churches have missionaries all over the world, quick search shows that the Mormons have around 80,000 at the moment (almost a "rite of passage" for young church members); but I wouldn't call it "forced" conversion as used to happen.

Closer to home even the Jehovah's Witnesses have backed off from their old doorstepping tactics...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28166192

Many churches have missionaries all over the world, quick search shows that the Mormons have around 80,000 at the moment (almost a "rite of passage" for young church members); but I wouldn't call it "forced" conversion as used to happen.

Closer to home even the Jehovah's Witnesses have backed off from their old doorstepping tactics...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28166192

Absolutely. Wondered where in Africa Matt was referring to, because I hadn't heard it was still going on there. Matt?

So does Christianity.

The huge difference is not in the modern world

Mankind for the most part has moved with the times grown in civility and humility but these Islamic countries still follow barbaric rituals and beliefs

I'm not tarnishing all Muslims with the same brush far from it but what does really get to me is the lack of public opposition by many of their followers and leaders when these atrocities occur surely they can see a public uprising against these barbaric animals will bring some form of solidarity and bridge some form of void in the public eye?

It's a subject you could debate for years but for me mankinds greatest con and biggest mistake is religion that's not to offend it's my personal belief

Edited by EFC-Paul

If any of you pro-Islamists haven't already, I suggests you watch Panorama's "Battle for British Islam" from Monday. They're now referring to "non-violent extremism". It's growing a huge rate.

Was a very balanced programme. Maybe you should watch it.

You really are a complete twat for calling anyone who's contributed to this thread "pro-islamist" though. Based on what? It's been for the most part a very sane and sensible discussion.

The huge difference is not in the modern world

Mankind for the most part has moved with the times grown in civility and humility but these Islamic countries still follow barbaric rituals and beliefs

I'm not tarnishing all Muslims with the same brush far from it but what does really get to me is the lack of public opposition by many of their followers and leaders when these atrocities occur surely they can see a public uprising against these barbaric animals will bring some form of solidarity and bridge some form of void in the public eye?

It's a subject you could debate for years but for me mankinds greatest con and biggest mistake is religion that's not to offend it's my personal belief

Different regions of mankind have evolved at different rates, there are still places in the world who still live virtually as they did in the stone-age. Industrialisation and "civilisation" has arrived in different places at different times....it's not so long ago that we were chopping off the hands of thieves and attending public executions and nobody batted an eyelid.

Lots of horrible things happen in the world for lots of different reasons (Islam being one). Slavery is not long passed, the caste system is still part of life in India.

Until the world is a fair place for everyone (which will never happen) there will be bad people and bad groups of people. Shame but a fact of life.

Different regions of mankind have evolved at different rates, there are still places in the world who still live virtually as they did in the stone-age. Industrialisation and "civilisation" has arrived in different places at different times....it's not so long ago that we were chopping off the hands of thieves and attending public executions and nobody batted an eyelid.

Lots of horrible things happen in the world for lots of different reasons (Islam being one). Slavery is not long passed, the caste system is still part of life in India.

Until the world is a fair place for everyone (which will never happen) there will be bad people and bad groups of people. Shame but a fact of life.

Your right Mike fully agree abit of a daft thing to say in hindsight maybe had my mindset slightly swayed as I've just watched American Sniper so was leaning more to that region

Just watched some shite after American Sniper on TV with some right knuckle dragging wollys on with some equally sickening Muslim protesters also and the only thing all this makes me think about is my kids futures growing up in a world like this... fucking awful

Edited by EFC-Paul

Your right Mike fully agree abit of a daft thing to say in hindsight maybe had my mindset slightly swayed as I've just watched American Sniper so was leaning more to that region

Just watched some shite after American Sniper on TV with some right knuckle dragging wollys on with some equally sickening Muslim protesters also and the only thing all this makes me think about is my kids futures growing up in a world like this... fucking awful

With you on that completely; (going off topic) was talking with my wife this morning and she'd heard/read something about average global temperatures rising by something like ten degrees in the next hundred years (have no source for that other than the wife who can be unreliable :unsure:). That would effectively be the the end of the world, so unless we can find another planet we're screwed. Not an issue for me but not many generations left at that rate.

If any of you pro-Islamists haven't already, I suggests you watch Panorama's "Battle for British Islam" from Monday. They're now referring to "non-violent extremism". It's growing a huge rate.

Who is pro-Islam here? There's one thing defending it, but that is not the same thing as supporting it.

Did you bother reading the video I posted, or read the link?

Absolutely. Wondered where in Africa Matt was referring to, because I hadn't heard it was still going on there. Matt?

Can't find the story, so I retract my statement. (Edit: it was the forced female circumcision going on in Aftican Christian-majority countries, I got mixed up)

Did find a story of something in India by the governent :

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-30573796

Edited by Matt