IGNORED

General Election

MikeO

Yup. I'm very happy that happened but it's not right. It's been happening (on a lesser scale) to the Liberals for my lifetime and longer but while the big parties benefit from the status quo it's not going to change. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind.

The big winners in the current structure are Labour, which is why the Tories want 'boundary changes'. Taking that into account, Labour were even bigger losers than appears. The Lib Dems vetoed the proposed boundary changes when in coalition so they may not come out of it too well. But it is almost certain to go ahead now.

The big winners in the current structure are Labour, which is why the Tories want 'boundary changes'. Taking that into account, Labour were even bigger losers than appears. The Lib Dems vetoed the proposed boundary changes when in coalition so they may not come out of it too well. But it is almost certain to go ahead now.

Spot on.

Our electoral system (from a couple of emails I've had today from organisations I belong to)...

"The Tories gained 36% of a 67% voter turnout. This equates to roughly 20% of the electorate dictating policy to the other 80%."

Not really. If one-third of the population chooses note to vote, they have absolutely no right to complain. Indeed, they should be dictated to.

Not really. If one-third of the population chooses note to vote, they have absolutely no right to complain. Indeed, they should be dictated to.

Fair enough; don't know how many can't be arsed to vote and how many make a conscious decision not to. But even ignoring all of them we have 36% of the (engaged) electorate running the country. Not right.

I was waiting! :) Of course, everyone has the right not to vote. That's a basic freedom. However, by making that choice, don't you forfeit the right to complain if the outcome is over than you would like?

I moved abroad partly to avoid the disappointment of politics. I'll complain if and when I see something worth complaining about, even if I had voted and that party was in power. I can't complain that a party is in power, but thats not the point. I complain about the actions taken regardless of whether I support the party or not.

Very poor form, this. Risking this year's Christmas card, if you ask me.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32697212

Ed Miliband deserves all he gets. Put personal ambition above family loyalty. David has been quite dignified over the years. I'm not a supporter of either but I don't think you can object to David sharing a bit of schadenfreude.

Hilarious, but so predictable, that Farage's "resignation" lasted about ten minutes.

"Unlike most politicians I keep my word!" Bullshit. Stage managed from the moment he lost in Thanet.

Pleased personally, they might have found a leader who was a bit less of a laughing stock if he'd gone. Shot themselves in the foot I think.

Sorry to break it to you Mark but Manchester's above the red line also.

don't be sorry! my lack of english geography is not your fault! Man City, Man U, hull, everton, liverpool, newcastle, sunderland, and Boro if they make it up. I love it!

Have the winner of the Northern league play the winner of the southern league and they are crowned champs of the island.

Edited by markjazzbassist