IGNORED

General Election

MikeO

Political debates are difficult at the best of times, though we've had some fairly civilised ones on here in the past; and I'm not suggesting anyone is wrong for voting for whoever they like (even if they are :P) but I thought this was worth sharing.

https://avaazmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/Murdochloc.pdf

If my printer worked it'd be up in my window (though I live in a cul-de-sac so the impact would be minimal :unsure:).

The impact would be exactly what he wants, Mike. Any publicity is good publicity; you'd be spreading his name and that is all he is after. Conversation sells.

if that was true suitors would be lining up to sign adam johnson, just not so matt.

You won't be surprised to hear that I don't agree :).

neither do i.

He's a disgusting human being and the planet would be much better off without him.

I have a horrible feeling that the equally disgusting Tories will get back in though, which, as you can probably tell, I would be unhappy about.

This a scary one...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/24/snp-dup-democratic-unionist-party-government-tories-anti-scottish-coalition-homophobic

if that was true suitors would be lining up to sign adam johnson, just not so matt.

let's see what happens when his case is sorted.

Comparing a footballer and someone who's job it is to sell gossip is a bit of a stretch. I know what you mean, but the point is either way the name of Johnson has spread. Whilst it may not be good for him, the publicity has worked and people like Murdoch profit.

Read today that "don't vote / revolutionist" Russel Brand is now backing Labour. Wonder if that will make a difference to things...

You won't dare admit to voting Labour as people might think you were influenced by Russell Brand!

Is that because you live in Switzerland or wouldn't you have voted even if you had lived in the UK?

I have received more flyers than I care to mention. Every time I go in the porch, Esther McVey is staring back at me.

Is that because you live in Switzerland or wouldn't you have voted even if you had lived in the UK?

I have received more flyers than I care to mention. Every time I go in the porch, Esther McVey is staring back at me.

That's because you live in a marginal Louis; I see the bookies have Labour slight favourites to take it this time.

Still barely had a sniff here.

I'm not allowed to vote because I didn't register before I left the UK at 22 (I had 1 chance to register during my uni days, not exactly the clearest time of my life).

Anyway, opened a thread which explains somewhat why, though my stance has changed recently as to why I wouldn't vote even given the choice.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/26944-to-vote-or-not-to-vote/?hl=vote

I'm not allowed to vote because I didn't register before I left the UK at 22 (I had 1 chance to register during my uni days, not exactly the clearest time of my life).

Anyway, opened a thread which explains somewhat why, though my stance has changed recently as to why I wouldn't vote even given the choice.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/26944-to-vote-or-not-to-vote/?hl=vote

Uni eh. I was working in my first job at 15. :D

Insightful addition to the debate as ever :unsure:.

I'll expand.... Basically my family (fathers side) have always been labour voters. My mother I thought (until recently) was a labour voter too. Found out she's always voted conservative.

So for me it's always been taboo to vote anything but labour. I also like Milliband.... Not sure why but he's swayed me over the last 3-4 weeks. I always considered David a better Labour candidate than Ed before hand.

Labour for me represents my background more than any other. However, with running my own business I've found the conservative government to be ok - as my business has done fairly well (it could do better though). The area of work I am moving into has very "well off" clientele and as someone pointed out to me today it might be in my interest to vote conservatives as it may well keep that clientele spending.

I always remember an electrician saying to me in the wholesalers - "you've started at the right time, it won't ever be as bad as this". I started my company at the height of the recession 2010/2011. So I'm not sure what "good" is and if I've seen it yet. Yes I'm busy but I have quiet periods too. I suppose "good" would be expanding to the point of employing more people to keep up with the workload.

Basically which ever government can keep my business afloat is the one I should be voting for. I hope that's labour.

Edited by MC11

I'll expand.... Basically my family (fathers side) have always been labour voters. My mother I thought (until recently) was a labour voter too. Found out she's always voted conservative.

So for me it's always been taboo to vote anything but labour. I also like Milliband.... Not sure why but he's swayed me over the last 3-4 weeks. I always considered David a better Labour candidate than Ed before hand.

Labour for me represents my background more than any other. However, with running my own business I've found the conservative government to be ok - as my business has done fairly well (it could do better though). The area of work I am moving into has very "well off" clientele and as someone pointed out to me today it might be in my interest to vote conservatives as it may well keep that clientele spending.

I always remember an electrician saying to me in the wholesalers - "you've started at the right time, it won't ever be as bad as this". I started my company at the height of the recession 2010/2011. So I'm not sure what "good" is and if I've seen it yet. Yes I'm busy but I have quiet periods too. I suppose "good" would be expanding to the point of employing more people to keep up with the workload.

Basically which ever government can keep my business afloat is the one I should be voting for. I hope that's labour.

well put MC. the US press has been giving a lot of coverage to the UK elections as of late, it's been fun to learn on the radio and hear about it, and then read all of the opinions on here.

Far more insightful! And interesting; had a similar thing in that my parents were on opposite sides. They both stood as Liberals in local elections when I was a kid but gradually my mum went left and dad went right, proper Thatcherite (he was quite normal apart from that).

Can understand completely the reasoning behind voting for the party which you think will be the best for your future; human nature, but I like to think that people have a bit of a social conscience as well (not saying you don't).

I was stinking rich under Thatcher while many suffered but I never voted for her.

Anyway, all be over tomorrow thankfully (mate of mine is flying off on holiday at 2.00am tomorrow, good day to be out of the country I think); then the horse trading will start.

Interesting point from Nick Robinson on the BBC; Tories demonising the woman who may just save Cameron his job. Strange thing politics. But I've got to agree with the first bit, I've been very impressed by her.

"There is, of course, one leader who has not suffered from lack of confidence or, apparently, from lack of trust. The undoubted star of this campaign is Nicola Sturgeon. This is true even though she isn't in fact running in this election. The vast majority of people in the UK can't vote for her party but no-one, even in Scotland, can vote for her. Perhaps that is the secret to electoral success!

The Tory press have dubbed the SNP leader "the most dangerous woman in Britain" even though this election would be as good as over and Labour home and dry if it weren't for her extraordinary success. The loss of, perhaps, dozens of seats in its former Scottish stronghold is what makes this election too close to call."