IGNORED

General Election

MikeO

Very interesting discussion, so maybe I can jump in.

Before I left Britain, I was an approved parliamentary candidate for the Liberal Party. This was before the merger with the Social Democrats and the fuzzy, ever-changing policies of today's LibDems. The party then was a blend of libertarian, green, devolved power, and pro-Europe. I knew David Steel and, in particular, David Penhaligon (who was a great guy). At that time, we would consistently win over 20 percent of the vote but about 2 percent of the seats - such is the fate of finishing second almost everywhere. Most of the Liberals I knew then were trustworthy people, and a couple of friends from college were elected. Today I would give the LibDems a wide berth, and no longer am I pro-Europe.

Parents? My father, in many respects (hate to say it, but it's true), was the kind of person not to aspire to: mostly illiterate, a dockyardee (as people near Plymouth would understand), and very bigoted. He voted for the National Front (for those in the US, the NF was a collection of racist bullies). My mother usually voted Conservative, but based solely on who she liked and disliked ("that man has a funny smile - can't be trusted"). She was big admirer of Maggie Thatcher.

Today, I would be really stuck. If there were such a thing, I'd be a cross between Conservative and Green, with a splash of libertarian opinions thrown in for good measure. I'm for the nationalist parties (fellow Celts), but I am very much anti-Labour. They are for the big companies, not the little ones; for the unions, not the entrepreneurs; for bureaucracy and rules, not free enterprise. I have never trusted them, and nothing I've seen recently changes my mind on that. As for UKIP, I can't stand them. They are rather like the Tea Party in the US and offer little more than slogans - which, unfortunately, does sway some people. Thank goodness for the "first past the post" system, because they'll get few seats despite winning a fair percentage of votes.

If I had to predict the outcome: the SNP will cut big time into Labour seats in Scotland, to about the same extent that Labour will gain in England. The Welsh Nationalists should do well, and I think the Green Party may create a couple of surprises. UKIP will be third in terms of number of votes but will win only a handful of seats. The LibDems will be decimated. It will either be a coalition of Conservative/Unionist/UKIP/LibDem or of Labour/Nationalists/LibDem/Greens. I would prefer the former (despite my disdain for UKIP), but I suspect the latter will win out. The US should fear a Labour/Nationalist coalition because they will immediately throw out all Trident missiles and make a point of standing up against America around the world.

Maybe I can predict the outcome.

Conservative 30% of votes (285 seats)

Labour 31% of votes (270 seats)

SNP 6% of votes (28 seats)

LibDem 6% of votes (24 seats)

UKIP 14% of votes (12 seats)

Green 6% of votes (3 seats)

Plaid Cymru (4 seats)

DemUnionists (8 seats)

Sinn Fein (5 seats)

SDLP (3 seats)

Other (8 seats)

Tory/LD/Union/UKIP = 329 seats

Labour/LD/SNP/SF/SDLP/PC/Green = 338 seats

In other words, the LibDems, despite losing ground, will be king-makers.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Maybe I can predict the outcome.

Conservative 30% of votes (285 seats)

Labour 31% of votes (270 seats)

SNP 6% of votes (28 seats)

LibDem 6% of votes (24 seats)

UKIP 14% of votes (12 seats)

Green 6% of votes (3 seats)

Plaid Cymru (4 seats)

DemUnionists (8 seats)

Sinn Fein (5 seats)

SDLP (3 seats)

Other (8 seats)

Tory/LD/Union/UKIP = 329 seats

Labour/LD/SNP/SF/SDLP/PC/Green = 338 seats

In other words, the LibDems, despite losing ground, will be king-makers.

Think you're underestimating how many the SNP will get, be closer to fifty than twenty-eight I think; and UKIP won't get twelve, four if they're lucky (less I hope).

Don't think the Greens will improve on their current one either,

Labour.LibDem and tories you probably have about right.

And Labour have said they'll keep trident, even though they initially said they'd think of dropping it from four subs to .three

And Labour have said they'll keep trident, even though they initially said they'd think of dropping it from four subs to .three

I was probably confusing about this. My assumption is that Labour will get into power only as part of an alliance with the SNP, and SNP's price for that alliance will be tossing out all Trident missiles.

I was probably confusing about this. My assumption is that Labour will get into power only as part of an alliance with the SNP, and SNP's price for that alliance will be tossing out all Trident missiles.

No way Labour would accept a coalition/agreement on those terms imo.

"Next PM" betting has swung a bit today. Started about even but by the afternoon Cameron was marginal favourite; I've just checked now and Milliband is slight favourite. Only 4/5 against evens for Cameron so still mighty close; looking forward to the exit polls at ten.

No doubt the Tories will have most seats but I think they'll struggle to get enough backing, LibDems probably won't have enough this time and anyway I think the differences on welfare cuts could be a deal breaker even if they did.

I voted LibDem last time around, but after they capitulated on the thing that got them a big chunk of their votes and then became Cameron's bitch I'll never vote for them again.

A lot of people agree with you but you have to wonder what the Tories would have done over the last five years without the LibDems to stop their worst excesses.

Clegg did them no favours over tuition fees (assume that's what you're talking about) and never adequately explained himself on that; not sure why, a minority coalition partner is never going to be able to implement their manifesto. They had to compromise. He's made mistakes but I wouldn't call him Cameron's bitch or rule out voting for them personally.

A lot of people agree with you but you have to wonder what the Tories would have done over the last five years without the LibDems to stop their worst excesses.

Clegg did them no favours over tuition fees (assume that's what you're talking about) and never adequately explained himself on that; not sure why, a minority coalition partner is never going to be able to implement their manifesto. They had to compromise. He's made mistakes but I wouldn't call him Cameron's bitch or rule out voting for them personally.

They probably have curbed the Tories somewhat but I don't think they've done enough. They saw their opportunity for their first bit of power and it went to their heads. Backfired like because it probably means it'll be a long time until they get any power again.

I know they had to compromise and I totally understand that, but when the thing they compromised on so massively is the factor that probably won them the majority of their votes and therefore gave them the opportunity to form a government it wrankles just a bit.

Tories only need 10 people to pass the line if exit polls are accurate, so UKIP + 8 of the 25 "others".

Which could be the DUP. Truly frightening scenario.

Just have to hope the poll is wrong (though it was bang on last time).

I don't get it.

Watch the country suffer with a full conservative influence.

London will want to declare itself an independent country soon and every other fucker outside of London will suffer.

Bye NHS too.

Twats. Hope things get better.

Controversy incoming.

If Farrage was the Labour leader, they'll have walked it.

Strong leader (Farrage), shit party (UKIP).

And the reverse for the current Labour party.

Really? Complete buffoon in my book.

But can see he appeals to some; character led party. Good news is he may not win his seat and will (if he sticks to his promise) resign; then UKIP will happily be leaderless and consigned to history.