IGNORED

Cricket Thread

18 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I can't help but smile. When Roberto was our manager, we played really attractive football that was exciting to watch - but we weren't winning. Then we had a manager who played really boring football in order to win more. Ideally, we win all the time and do so by playing attractive football. When having to choose one or the other, though, which is the better option? Gamble it all as England did with their first innings declaration, or play traditional boring cricket and not lose? Play exciting football because it's more enjoyable or grind out boring draws and wins to finish higher up the table? It's an intriguing question.

A true Evertonian will accept a loss as long the players gave their all and tried to win the match, Australia will count themselves fortunate and England unlucky, but it was a great match and a shame there was a loser. But the positive manner in which England played makes me proud to be English, and I hope they continue to play the same way. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I can't help but smile. When Roberto was our manager, we played really attractive football that was exciting to watch - but we weren't winning. Then we had a manager who played really boring football in order to win more. Ideally, we win all the time and do so by playing attractive football. When having to choose one or the other, though, which is the better option? Gamble it all as England did with their first innings declaration, or play traditional boring cricket and not lose? Play exciting football because it's more enjoyable or grind out boring draws and wins to finish higher up the table? It's an intriguing question.

For me there's no real comparison between England cricket (or England anything come to that) and Everton.

Everton is a near sixty year passion which I'm emotionally (and financially) invested in on a daily basis; if we win 1-0 playing negatively I'm happy and if we lose 5-4 in an attacking thriller I'm miserable.

Was a good cricket match today and I wish we'd won but I'll not be losing sleep over it.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

For me there's no real comparison between England cricket (or England anything come to that) and Everton.

Everton is a near sixty year passion which I'm emotionally (and financially) invested in on a daily basis; if we win 1-0 playing negatively I'm happy and if we lose 5-4 in an attacking thriller I'm miserable.

Was a good cricket match today and I wish we'd won but I'll not be losing sleep over it.

That's what a healthy reaction to sport should look like. Most of us have a very unhealthy relationship with Everton!

I was slightly irked at losing to Australia - always has the feeling of a derby - but very well played to them. Hopefully, we smash them at Lord's! 🙂

53 minutes ago, Formby said:

That's what a healthy reaction to sport should look like. Most of us have a very unhealthy relationship with Everton!

I was slightly irked at losing to Australia - always has the feeling of a derby - but very well played to them. Hopefully, we smash them at Lord's! 🙂

The British weather always adds another dimension to cricket (with some of the summer months also being among the wettest). Just watch England be about to win by 850 runs only for rain to end play before the final Australian wicket falls. :)

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Definitely fine margins, to be an umpire must come with a lot of second guessing, but they never seem rushed or stressed when making a call, and if they are challenged and wrong they just take in their stride. If the glove wasn’t in contact with the bat then I would guess that if it then traveled on to hit the pad and was on line to hit the wicket it would be LBW, based on if you’re Tendulkar evidence being correct. I might try and google it or maybe find the rules on LBW. But at this moment in time I’m to engrossed in the game. 

14 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The British weather always adds another dimension to cricket (with some of the summer months also being among the wettest). Just watch England be about to win by 850 runs only for rain to end play before the final Australian wicket falls. :)

In those circumstances, it wouldn't be a dimension I care for! 

Matthew Henry at the BBC website: "Many of the Australians in the press box have always been intrigued but doubtful of Bazball on their first exposure to it. Today they're just shaking their heads in disbelief, feeling entirely vindicated."

I think Palfy's comment a while back is correct: Bazball is little more than a virus contracted from playing too much limited over cricket. Test match cricket needs a different mentality.

Robinson's wicket says it all. England are struggling and need their tail to score runs, so what does he do? Attack as if he's in the final over of a 20-over match. If he hadn't been caught, he might have been stumped: a complete lack of discipline, if you ask me. If England hope to win, they have to be patient - like the Australians.

The Aussies are in control of this match they will be looking at setting a figure to bowl at, there 2nd innings run rate isn’t very good they need to improve it quickly get to a figure and declare as quickly as possible, otherwise I can see a draw with time running out and rain interfering. They will get to a point where they can’t lose but maybe not win it. 

29 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The Aussies are in control of this match they will be looking at setting a figure to bowl at, there 2nd innings run rate isn’t very good they need to improve it quickly get to a figure and declare as quickly as possible, otherwise I can see a draw with time running out and rain interfering. They will get to a point where they can’t lose but maybe not win it. 

You know there are still two full days to come right? And no rain forecast.

We're toast.

37 minutes ago, MikeO said:

You know there are still two full days to come right? And no rain forecast.

We're toast.

How long do you think the Aussies will bat till tomorrow before declaring and giving them a large enough lead and enough time to get the win. Or will they just play for a guaranteed draw, which is probably what they will play for. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I would reinterpret low run rate with patience. If England’s batters had faced an onslaught as fierce as the Aussies faced today, they’d be all out by now. There’s not much difference in ability between these teams, but Australia has shown impressive patience and England has not. 

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I would reinterpret low run rate with patience. If England’s batters had faced an onslaught as fierce as the Aussies faced today, they’d be all out by now. There’s not much difference in ability between these teams, but Australia has shown impressive patience and England has not. 

The run rate wasn’t the main part of my post, which was more will the Aussies declare or will they be happier to just take the draw. The run rate was mentioned only if they held desires to win the match, then they would have to step the run rate up to post a score that they feel comfortable with and then leave themselves the time to bowl England out. My guess is they will play for the draw 🥱 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

The run rate wasn’t the main part of my post, which was more will the Aussies declare or will they be happier to just take the draw. The run rate was mentioned only if they held desires to win the match, then they would have to step the run rate up to post a score that they feel comfortable with and then leave themselves the time to bowl England out. My guess is they will play for the draw 🥱 

I don’t think so. My guess is they will play again with patience in the first session to build a solid score. Then they’ll take more risks to increase the run rate to get as high a total as possible in the second session. They’ll either be all out or declare before the day is out and give England a couple of hours batting before dark. It’s extended hours tomorrow to make up for the rain delay, so Australia have plenty of time to score runs. My guess is England will be set a target of between 450 and 500. Given the Bazball mentality, they’ll go for it - so it will either be an exciting final day or England will be bowled out for a frustratingly low score. One thing’s for sure: England won’t - cannot - be content with a draw. 

England’s best hope is that they can take some early wickets in the morning to minimize the size of their chase. They could beat 300, I think, but anything more will be a struggle. 

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I don’t think so. My guess is they will play again with patience in the first session to build a solid score. Then they’ll take more risks to increase the run rate to get as high a total as possible in the second session. They’ll either be all out or declare before the day is out and give England a couple of hours batting before dark. It’s extended hours tomorrow to make up for the rain delay, so Australia have plenty of time to score runs. My guess is England will be set a target of between 450 and 500. Given the Bazball mentality, they’ll go for it - so it will either be an exciting final day or England will be bowled out for a frustratingly low score. One thing’s for sure: England won’t - cannot - be content with a draw. 

England’s best hope is that they can take some early wickets in the morning to minimize the size of their chase. They could beat 300, I think, but anything more will be a struggle. 

I think 450-500 is too high a score to achieve that then would allow them the time that they would require to bowl England out, I don’t see the Aussies taking any chances of losing the draw that they have by going all out for a win, although from a spectator’s standpoint that would be the most desirable outcome. 

48 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Fantastic win for Scotland. What with Ireland improving as a team, too, we’re beginning see more and more cricketing nations. 

Ireland did really poorly this time around and haven't qualified I don't think. Shame because I like watching them in the white ball cricket.,

19 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

371, it's doable but if some of our batmen play as stupidly as they did in the first innings then they've got no chance.

Stokes, Root and Bairstow need to perform to their best with the bat, but we’ve just done a bigger target than this last year, so bring it on.