IGNORED

Cricket Thread

I’m more in agreement with some pundits that England are bringing their one day cricket mentality of all out attack with batting and bowling to their test matches, whether this proves successful or not time will tell. But it can’t be denied that it’s refreshing to have a different approach to what can be a very slow and defensive 5 days.  

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m more in agreement with some pundits that England are bringing their one day cricket mentality of all out attack with batting and bowling to their test matches, whether this proves successful or not time will tell. But it can’t be denied that it’s refreshing to have a different approach to what can be a very slow and defensive 5 days.  

Do you remember when David Steele batted for England? There were times when he would score fewer than ten runs an hour!

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Psychology is certainly an important factor, as is momentum. England appear to have tried the former, but the Australians now have the latter. It's a finely poised game right now.

England have tried something different Australia are sticking to the usual test format, let’s not get into the I dislike anything English mentality Steve or we won’t allow your Pasties in our beautiful country 😂

7 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Do you remember when David Steele batted for England? There were times when he would score fewer than ten runs an hour!

No I don’t to be honest, but I’m not much of a cricket fan, yet I do respect people for trying something different. 

17 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Ten runs an hour was quite good against the Australian and WI pace attacks of the day. Steele had steel.

17 minutes ago, Formby said:

Ten runs an hour was quite good against the Australian and WI pace attacks of the day. Steele had steel.

Yes, the heyday of West Indian cricket: Richards, Holding, Holder, Roberts. Some say it's urban legend, but, during one England vs. West Indies test, Brian Johnston is reputed to have said "the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey".

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes, the heyday of West Indian cricket: Richards, Holding, Holder, Roberts. Some say it's urban legend, but, during one England vs. West Indies test, Brian Johnston is reputed to have said "the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey".

Regrettably apocryphal, I think.

It's not arrogance and it's nothing new for this England side. It's the way they want to play the game (always moving it forward to try and get a win while not being afraid of losing instead of playing it safe).

It's a method that's worked seeing as they've only lost two Test's since Stokes took over the captaincy and won 12 or 13.

They said they wouldn't change their mentality just because it's the Ashes and they haven't.

27 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

We need to bat much better in the second innings for me. I feel like we left a lot of runs out there in the first innings.

I think it will be more difficult this innings. Australia will have spotted things. So will we. Hoping for another declaration and a 10 wicket 200 run win. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Formby said:

Right on cue! 🙂

But doesn't it? This is a 5-day test match. Who in their right mind would declare on the very first day? It blows my mind. (Agreed that things always look different in hindsight, but I really really don't understand why a captain would do that for fewer than, say, 500 runs on a second day.)

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

But doesn't it? This is a 5-day test match. Who in their right mind would declare on the very first day? It blows my mind. (Agreed that things always look different in hindsight, but I really really don't understand why a captain would do that for fewer than, say, 500 runs on a second day.)

Steve, I absolutely agree with you and said at the time.