IGNORED

Cricket Thread

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Has anyone just watched that match in the Big Bash?

A side has just been bowled out for 15! It was incredible to watch.

I made up the numbers for my school's 1st XI once; we had somehow got a fixture playing against Guildford Royal Grammar school (ex-pro coaches rather than our English teacher winging it). They batted first and got a ridiculous total for an after school game, something like 150-2; then we batted and were all out for twelve:unsure:.

Personal triumph though, I batted at eleven and scored two (both sketchy singles through the slips that I knew very little about) before being bowled by a full toss. Was second top scorer, someone dug in for four:D.

21 minutes ago, Formby said:

Significant progress this - a 3-0 win in Pakistan, where our record has been so poor, is quite the feather in the cap. The young leg spinner Rehan bowled really well. Very early days but what a find.   

Scary how good good he could be 

• 1 month later...

A bit minor interest possibly but in the women's U19 T20 World Cup semi England played Australia today.

England batted first and were reduced to 38-6 and 45-7 before a bit of a recovery led them to post 99....then they bowled out Oz for 96 (after they were 96-8 with nearly three overs left).

Must've been intense but always good to beat the upside-down people at any level of cricket:D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Bill said:

Watching South Africa vs West indies on Sky, SA  chasing 259 the highest total ever scored and are at the moment  103 after 6 overs. De kock passes 50 in 16 balls and Hendricks is 37 after 14, amazing scoring

That's a recording Bill, it happened yesterday, but I'll not spoil it for you by saying what happens.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's not looking like a great decision currently. On a very flat pitch it didn't seem like the best choice even before seeing Australia bat on it.

If we'd have held our catches and Broad hadn't overstepped things would be looking better, first drop from Bairstow was criminal (Edit: stumping chance).

Not sure whether this comment posted to the BBC commentary website by 'Jack from Sidmouth' was serious or sarcastic: "Feel as though England are a few mistakes away from dominating this game. The dropped catches, missed stumpings and the no ball. A few of the wickets yesterday were avoidable. Take those out the game and we’re flying."

There's an Everton version of this statement: "Feel as though Everton are a few players away from dominating the league. The lack of goals, mistakes in defence, and misplaced passes. A few of the defeats last season were avoidable. Take those out the game and we're flying." :)

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Arrogance if you ask me. Seriously, I can't think of a single other possible reason.

It may be that, too, Steve. If England end up losing, I am sure you will remind us of this! 🙂

That said, arrogance is often a necessary adjunct of a successful team (been part of the Australian game for years).

Hopefully, if England win, you will commend the team for its self-belief, playing the Australians at their own game. 👍

40 minutes ago, Formby said:

It may be that, too, Steve. If England end up losing, I am sure you will remind us of this! 🙂

That said, arrogance is often a necessary adjunct of a successful team (been part of the Australian game for years).

Hopefully, if England win, you will commend the team for its self-belief, playing the Australians at their own game. 👍

Psychology is certainly an important factor, as is momentum. England appear to have tried the former, but the Australians now have the latter. It's a finely poised game right now.