IGNORED

Defensive issues

jofanon

I like football, love Everton but I'm not exactly a tactical genius.

As I understand it, Baines, Coleman and Stones are all highly coveted and Jags is an England international that would be if not for his age.

We play 2 defensive midfielders.

Shouldn't we be impregnable defensively?

I can understand our limitations going forward but can someone explain why are we so porous?

Coleman and baines are not great at defending (reputation based on their ability to get forward) and jags positioning is awful, offers little cover to his partner and his last ditch takles tend to be his own fault, he'd be laughed at in Italy. Weak captain doesn't help either. Barry is great at getting in the right position unfortunately his legs have gone so the pace of the prem catches him out.

Stones is great but will get caught out now and again, likewise mccarthy is the engine of the team and try to up the tempo but unless the team round him are pumped up he can look like a headless chicken. Think Cleverley will be a big help for mccarthy and barry this season as he'll give them an option more often than the midfield last season and help move the ball with purpose.

Edit: teams aren't afraid to have a pop at Tim howard which makes the opposition more confident and that little more difficult to play against. Swap the keeper and we'd have been about 7th last season and no one would have been moaning.

Edited by pete0

Coleman and baines are not great at defending (reputation based on their ability to get forward) and jags positioning is awful, offers little cover to his partner and his last ditch takles tend to be his own fault, he'd be laughed at in Italy. Weak captain doesn't help either. Barry is great at getting in the right position unfortunately his legs have gone so the pace of the prem catches him out.

Stones is great but will get caught out now and again, likewise mccarthy is the engine of the team and try to up the tempo but unless the team round him are pumped up he can look like a headless chicken. Think Cleverley will be a big help for mccarthy and barry this season as he'll give them an option more often than the midfield last season and help move the ball with purpose.

Edit: teams aren't afraid to have a pop at Tim howard which makes the opposition more confident and that little more difficult to play against. Swap the keeper and we'd have been about 7th last season and no one would have been moaning.

boomchickaji.gif

Thanks!

So surely a new keeper should be at the top of the "want" pile?

Martinez says its not a problem

It is a problem. As i've mentioned before on here, Howard's cost us upward of 10 points last season and he unsettles the defensive group as a result. They don't trust him. Or that's how it seems anyway.

A custodian like Cech, will help Arsenal's back 4 because they'll trust him to do his job.

It is a problem. As i've mentioned before on here, Howard's cost us upward of 10 points last season and he unsettles the defensive group as a result. They don't trust him. Or that's how it seems anyway.

A custodian like Cech, will help Arsenal's back 4 because they'll trust him to do his job.

Yep spot on. I think the defence is wobbly because they don't trust the keeper. How Martinez doesn't see this absolutely astounds me!

I think if we weren't so short in three or four positions keeper would have been a priority for him.

Any other position you can try different things, but in goal you need to be stable. A good quality keeper is a must, but don't come along too easily. Ospina isn't available, I'd have liked Begovic or Butland really.

Maybe if he gets the three players he wants, he might go for a keeper next summer, should a good one be available.

Yep spot on. I think the defence is wobbly because they don't trust the keeper. How Martinez doesn't see this absolutely astounds me!

Hear hear

Let's blame howard for the other 6. Whilst he was very poor last season so were the other lot - the whole squad.

It's not just Howards fault of course it's not but I put the blame solely at his door for the shambles in defence we had. I firmly believe they have no confidence in him and were distracted by him.

Can't blame him for the utterly shit sideways, slow one dimensional football though.

Charlie Adam was on radio saying he's an outstanding talent.

Charlie Adam praising own team mate shocker!

Not that my opinion counts but EVERY time i've seen Butland for England, he's dropped a clanger, parried an easy shot to a striker or flapped as a cross comes in. Every time.

Not sold on him.

Charlie Adam praising own team mate shocker!

Not that my opinion counts but EVERY time i've seen Butland for England, he's dropped a clanger, parried an easy shot to a striker or flapped as a cross comes in. Every time.

Not sold on him.

This. From everything I'd heard about him I expected him to be brilliant. Obviously being young you'd expect him to make mistakes as well, but from what I've seen with my own eyes the mistakes are the norm while the brilliance is rare.

This. From everything I'd heard about him I expected him to be brilliant. Obviously being young you'd expect him to make mistakes as well, but from what I've seen with my own eyes the mistakes are the norm while the brilliance is rare.

Don't think I've ever seen a brilliant thing from him. He's ok, but because he is English and was going cheap, everyone got excited. That said, its rare that keepers get any good before their mid-late 20s, so maybe its just not his time yet.

Don't think I've ever seen a brilliant thing from him. He's ok, but because he is English and was going cheap, everyone got excited. That said, its rare that keepers get any good before their mid-late 20s, so maybe its just not his time yet.

English and cheap? Goes against the norm that ;)

(Bar Cleverley, which is an exception because he ran his contract down).

He went for 2.5m, didn't he?

edit: 3.3m according to wiki

That's what i'm saying.

If he was as good as people make out, he'd have gone for a decent price, add to that there's a premium on English talent, he should have gone for mega bucks but didn't.

Look at Patrick Roberts.

no top of the pile should be another top striker we can't win without scoring goals.

We can get by with the keepers we have for now.

That's the KK tactic at Newcastle never worked

first you have to stop giving away soft goals then you only have to score one not three to win a game

top priority must be a number 10 and a keeper

the rest will take care of its self if and when we sell anyone.

English and cheap? Goes against the norm that ;)

(Bar Cleverley, which is an exception because he ran his contract down).

I think you can include cleverly there was no line of admirers wanting him

his contract run down through lack of interest

as you said young English talent comes at a premium

no top half prem sides were fighting for his signature.

I think you can include cleverly there was no line of admirers wanting him

his contract run down through lack of interest

as you said young English talent comes at a premium

no top half prem sides were fighting for his signature.

Only Tottenham and Arsenal. No top half sides like.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9806440/arsenal-and-spurs-keen-to-sign-manchester-united-midfielder-tom-cleverley

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/01/tom-cleverley-turned-down-a-transfer-offer-from-arsenal-5275116/

And before you say, but that's a just a fabricated media reports. He confirmed it in his Everton interview.

Only Tottenham and Arsenal. No top half sides like.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9806440/arsenal-and-spurs-keen-to-sign-manchester-united-midfielder-tom-cleverley

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/01/tom-cleverley-turned-down-a-transfer-offer-from-arsenal-5275116/

And before you say, but that's a just a fabricated media reports. He confirmed it in his Everton interview.

If either of them had really wanted him he would not have signed for us

if he had gone to arsenal it would have been for cup games only

if he was any good he would have been snapped up from man utd, fergie would have recommended him to one of his mates.

that's why he ended up at wigan and villa no villa supporter I have spoken to is in the least bit disappointed hes gone

I know hes signed for us and we have to talk them up but get real theres a good reason we got him

its funny people quote sky sports when it suits but say they talk bollocks when it does not

If either of them had really wanted him he would not have signed for us

if he had gone to arsenal it would have been for cup games only

if he was any good he would have been snapped up from man utd, fergie would have recommended him to one of his mates.

that's why he ended up at wigan and villa no villa supporter I have spoken to is in the least bit disappointed hes gone

I know hes signed for us and we have to talk them up but get real theres a good reason we got him

its funny people quote sky sports when it suits but say they talk bollocks when it does not

Or he felt his chances of playing were better at Everton

Spent years 'unloved' at United got to him and wanted somewhere that appreciated him

Wanted to be a slightly bigger fish in a smaller pond

Wanted to play without pressure

Wanted to play under a manager that actually understands him and seems to get the most out of him

Wanted to stay up north as that's where he's from and settled with a new wife and start of a family

Who are United's mates? Wenger?

As for Villa fans, of course they wouldn't be bitter that a player didn't want to join them on a free....would they? (sarcastic font needed).