IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Is he really in trouble?

Technically yes, but nothing will happen. The best that can be hoped is that this impeachment inquiry sways voters to vote against him in the 2020 election. I can see him getting a second term though. There are still 17 Democrats in the running, and the election is in a year; their field is overcrowded, and it's not helping them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2019 at 14:07, markjazzbassist said:

his followers are ardent conspiracy theory believers.  they believe there is a "deep state" of career politicians trying to remove him from office.  they believe any effort to undermine Trump is not fact or reality, but instead the "deep state".  they are fucking nuts

Mark has it here. There's no evidence that would convince a Trump voter. 

On 21/11/2019 at 19:07, markjazzbassist said:

his followers are ardent conspiracy theory believers.  they believe there is a "deep state" of career politicians trying to remove him from office.  they believe any effort to undermine Trump is not fact or reality, but instead the "deep state".  they are fucking nuts

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Mark has it here. There's no evidence that would convince a Trump voter. 

Isn’t it very scary that there are millions of people like that all over the world, who have been brainwashed or brainwashed themselves into believing one thing when the evidence clearly shown another..

This world is becoming a two state world, made up of people in a sane state of mind and those in a insane state, and the latter seems to be taking over, the lunatics really are running the asylum. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

Isn’t it very scary that there are millions of people like that all over the world, who have been brainwashed or brainwashed themselves into believing one thing when the evidence clearly shown another..

This world is becoming a two state world, made up of people in a sane state of mind and those in a insane state, and the latter seems to be taking over, the lunatics really are running the asylum. 

*cough*Gana*cough*

Just kidding, but it is scary. 

9 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

The impeachment vote is tonight, and I can't wait. I'm hoping a few Republicans swing in the direction of impeachment in the House. 

The Senate will be a different ballgame. The Senate majority leader, McConnell, has already come and said that he's not impartial. What a snake. 

So are there any consequences at all if Representatives pass it and then the Senate doesn't?

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

So are there any consequences at all if Representatives pass it and then the Senate doesn't?

Nope. The Senate is where the actual trial would be and not getting a 2/3rds majority would mean nothing happens. It was just go down on as a mark on Trump's record basically. 

This is more a move by Democrats to appeal to their base, but I do think that they're right, and Trump should be impeached. 

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

The Senate majority leader, McConnell, has already come and said that he's not impartial. What a snake.

But he's going to stand up and say, “I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be,) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of [Donald Trump], now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God.” and not mean it?

Astounding. There's a first, a politician who admits he's going to lie even before he does it!

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

But he's going to stand up and say, “I solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be,) that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of [Donald Trump], now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God.” and not mean it?

Astounding. There's a first, a politician who admits he's going to lie even before he does it!

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/17/788924966/mcconnell-i-m-not-impartial-about-impeachment 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

that's what happened with Clinton.  He was impeached but acquitted.  Whereas if the senate confirms then you're formally impeached.

so it will just be a black mark against Trump like it was for Clinton.  Something to use in the election cycle.  His voters are unwavered, they think it's the "deep state" conspiring to get this noble statesman removed.  he's done so much for our country how dare they!  yes they are fucking nuts.

58 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

that's what happened with Clinton.  He was impeached but acquitted.  Whereas if the senate confirms then you're formally impeached.

so it will just be a black mark against Trump like it was for Clinton.  Something to use in the election cycle.  His voters are unwavered, they think it's the "deep state" conspiring to get this noble statesman removed.  he's done so much for our country how dare they!  yes they are fucking nuts.

I can't understand how a country that is so (compared to the UK) devoutly Christian is OK with people in authority openly saying (effectively) that they're going to lie under oath. That's perjury surely, so they should be punished even if Trump isn't.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I can't understand how a country that is so (compared to the UK) devoutly Christian is OK with people in authority openly saying (effectively) that they're going to lie under oath. That's perjury surely, so they should be punished even if Trump isn't.

That's what you would think, right? 

29 minutes ago, MikeO said:

great question mike and this part is important.  as evangelicals they believe their faith is above all else, government included.  so by Trump saying he's a christian, they give him carte blanche because they believe he's "doing the will of the lord".  he basically gets a free pass, the Bush family did the same thing.   i remember people at church saying "he prays every morning, what a guy" and i'm like he's killing tons of people illegally in iraq doesn't that bother you?  who cares if he prays!  well, i don't it question him, "the lord works in mysterious ways...".  they just accept that whatever he does is ok.  only half analogy i can give is a hard core party voter, like your family is Labour all your life and you just vote labour regardless and go with whatever they say policy wise, or if it changes, then contradicts, it doesn't matter, you're labour and that's that. thick and thin, labour.

sucks for people of the christian faith like myself who aren't nutjobs and aren't evangelicals because it gives us a bad name and reputation.

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

great question mike and this part is important.  as evangelicals they believe their faith is above all else, government included.  so by Trump saying he's a christian, they give him carte blanche because they believe he's "doing the will of the lord".  he basically gets a free pass, the Bush family did the same thing.   i remember people at church saying "he prays every morning, what a guy" and i'm like he's killing tons of people illegally in iraq doesn't that bother you?  who cares if he prays!  well, i don't it question him, "the lord works in mysterious ways...".  they just accept that whatever he does is ok.  only half analogy i can give is a hard core party voter, like your family is Labour all your life and you just vote labour regardless and go with whatever they say policy wise, or if it changes, then contradicts, it doesn't matter, you're labour and that's that. thick and thin, labour.

sucks for people of the christian faith like myself who aren't nutjobs and aren't evangelicals because it gives us a bad name and reputation.

Important point here. It's more about voting along party lines than for the person who is in charge. My dad doesn't like Trump, but you will never see him vote for a Democrat over a Republican. 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Watching it live the one thing I like is the fact that the house listens to people speaking without the infantile heckling we have over here. 

No idea why that is allowed over here. Corbyn did his best to get rid but it didn't last long. Worst thing is all the voters would have seen their tory cunt MPs laugh and cheer at not giving nurses a pay rise and fucking the workers and students yet still voted for them. 

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

This will only hurt his ego, though he’s that delusional he’ll probably take it as a good thing. It’ll certainly help his election chances further, it’s solidifying the divide and his supporters will only see this as the left trying to make waves rather than what it actually means.