IGNORED

Who do you want to replace Lukaku

Lacazette for me. I'm not really up to speed with all the European players except the obvious ones who obviously will be out of our grasp.

Think if we bid 40 for this lad we'd get him. Sell Lukaku for 50 pay 40 for this lad the other 10 covers some wages and agent fees.

ding ding ding! nailed it. we can get twice the player if they're not english. we've got enough english already with our first team and academy, quota is fulfilled, now bring in the foreign lads.

Hang on... so the only purpose of having homegrown players is to 'fill the quota'?? Madness! and while I am very excited about some of the young lads coming through from our academy, I don't really hear any noises about forwards coming through.

I've just replied that the 'Foreign players are cheaper' chesnut is not true for players outside the Prem, so I'll ask again - why are we more or less exclusively talking about foreigners to replace Lukaku? Or does no one watch domestic football anymore?

And by the way - I don't care where the player comes from if they are good enough. I just don't get all this cod scouting of players from France, Holland and Portugal - if French football is full of all these wonderfully talented players, why is the football there so poor? Newcastle filled their side with supposed 'talent' from France and Netherlands, look what it did for them.

Ok, I might get slaughtered for this but I think we should replace him with Rooney. Dowell would learn so much from him and I see Dowell as our next possible superstar. (if he stays fit)

Rooney is still ace.

Edit* Ok Ill throw a swede into the mix too just because it annoys some people. I still think Guidetti (next to someone like Rooney) would kill in the prem.

He is a crowd favourit at Celta Vigo but not getting the chances to the dismay of the fans. (talked to some vigo fans the other week about it and they love him, they call him the microwave in spain because he only needs a minute to finish)

Edited by Peter H

No. I just typed 16+ on all those attributes on football manager and they are the names I got...

Embolo came to my attention here and I did some research after.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/27398-breel-embolo/?fromsearch=1

Jansenn.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/27823-vincent-janssen/

Do I need to watch them week in week out???

not at all, was just curious.

Over here, Embolo has very mixed reviews Ranging from "big fish in a small pond" to "going to be a massive talent". I've not spoken to my Dutch mates because I'm pretty sure I'll get the same reaction.

I'd rather be paying for someone established at the moment instead of developing another player. Ideally get solid player in and a youngster too mind you.

Thanks for that Mark.

The only one of those I remember seeing in the flesh was Slimani, went to Lisbon on my stag do and we all got a shirt included with our match ticket and everyone got a random name on the back (I had stag 15) so we looked out for the players we had. I honestly wasn't impressed by him, he didn't seem to offer much. Though the standard of the game in general was very poor so maybe that didn't help.

Can't comment on the others, but pace and goals and fine with me.

not at all, was just curious.

Over here, Embolo has very mixed reviews Ranging from "big fish in a small pond" to "going to be a massive talent". I've not spoken to my Dutch mates because I'm pretty sure I'll get the same reaction.

I'd rather be paying for someone established at the moment instead of developing another player. Ideally get solid player in and a youngster too mind you.

I haven't watched Janssen myself, but I also check in on a Dutch forum (as there are no good Dutch-language Belgian message boards) and the fans of Dutch clubs were mocking the Liverpool fans because of a report linking them to Janssen. One Liverpool fan doesn't want him because he doesn't think he's better than Ings.

Edit* Ok Ill throw a swede into the mix too just because it annoys some people. I still think Guidetti (next to someone like Rooney) would kill in the prem.

He is a crowd favourit at Celta Vigo but not getting the chances to the dismay of the fans. (talked to some vigo fans the other week about it and they love him, they call him the microwave in spain because he only needs a minute to finish)

I've mentioned him in other threads in recent times I always thought he'd be a good signing for us he would do well alongside a pacey type (Hernandez) Edited by EFC-Paul

Where did you get those stats?

Lacazette is rumored to go to a UCL club so hard to get.

Did anyone mention Milik yet?

I was taking the piss.

The majority of foreign football scouting is done on the odd game here and there by the average fan.

I feel confident enough after just a few games to be able to feel if a striker is quality or not.

Think about the first time you seen Rooney... control of the ball was instant, no adjustment of the feet required to take a shot (defenders and goalies only need a split second to avert the risk - see Rom in semi final when fellaini blocked shot and another chance similar)

Hunger... you can see defenders when they know they have a problematic striker. They lose confidence in their authority. Allow them to bully you and you are screwed.

The best I've seen in both scenarios recently is suarez... Velcro touch, doesn't give a shit who marks him or how tight... and the defenders know it.

Gray cost £6m a year ago. That just isn't true of players in the lower leagues.

Oh right.

As you questioned if no one watches domestic football anymore...I don't. Don't have time to be sat around watching footy all the time. Dunno how some of you guys fit in so much footy watching to be honest.

You've got my ears though nogs...who else should we be looking at from the lower leagues/domestic game?

....and Mr Haf...Football Manager stats are actually used in the real game these days. That's an actual true story! They have such good detail in that game that the programme does actually get scanned pre scouting.

I haven't played FM for years...hence I don't know many players now!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/12/why-clubs-football-manager-scouting-tool

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/how-the-football-manager-video-game-became-a-real-life-football-manager-1321062

Edited by Newty82

Ok, I might get slaughtered for this but I think we should replace him with Rooney. Dowell would learn so much from him and I see Dowell as our next possible superstar. (if he stays fit)

Rooney is still ace.

Id rather someone who could finish in a split second rather than a minute.

....and Mr Haf...Football Manager stats are actually used in the real game these days. That's an actual true story! They have such good detail in that game that the programme does actually get scanned pre scouting.

I haven't played FM for years...hence I don't know many players now!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/12/why-clubs-football-manager-scouting-tool

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/how-the-football-manager-video-game-became-a-real-life-football-manager-1321062

Yeah I kinda knew. 2008/2009 I played it... insanely addictive.

Jack Rodwell was an 80m player at this stage.

Yeah I kinda knew. 2008/2009 I played it... insanely addictive.

Jack Rodwell was an 80m player at this stage.

Yeah...it doesn't always turn out right!

But generally, it's bang in. Can't count the amount of times my step son, who is mad on footy and watches it whenever he can, has said 'so and so is class'...and I'm like 'yeah, I remember I had him on FM as a kid!!'.

Even Sky Sports News use its stats to compare players.

If it's good enough for the Pro's, it's good enough for avarage joes.

Let's be honest...there's no doubt a lot of people get their knowledge from either hear say, FM of FIFA!

Anyway...who to replace Lukaku...no idea. I'll have to download the latest version of FM...or ask the lad who's shit hot on FIFA!!!

Moyes was one of the first to use the FM database. But then it was probably the biggest database of footballers in the world back then, I'd be surprised if it isn't still, with scouts in every country it was huge. But the scouts working on it were actually football scouts anyway, so the stats should be accurate to at least one professionals opinion. The bit you can't trust is the stat they used for how quickly the players would develop. Baxter was always a world beater after a few years for me the last time I played it.

On Gray, he has plenty of ability, looks a good player. If we could bring in a big name striker and him to push them, I'd be more than happy with that. I'm sure he would want to give Burnley a season in the premier league though.

Moyes was one of the first to use the FM database. But then it was probably the biggest database of footballers in the world back then, I'd be surprised if it isn't still, with scouts in every country it was huge. But the scouts working on it were actually football scouts anyway, so the stats should be accurate to at least one professionals opinion. The bit you can't trust is the stat they used for how quickly the players would develop. Baxter was always a world beater after a few years for me the last time I played it.

On Gray, he has plenty of ability, looks a good player. If we could bring in a big name striker and him to push them, I'd be more than happy with that. I'm sure he would want to give Burnley a season in the premier league though.

I'm always surprised at just how often players aren't willing to do that and jump ship during the summer of a promotion.

Not a replacement but whilst on the subject of homegrown players I think Solanke given the chance could become a very good player

A typical Chelsea prospect and potential cash cow who will be loaned around until making them a profit, reminds me of Sturridge but taller and more awkward and although young at the right price he'd definitely be worth a punt along with Iheanacho (not homegrown) but has big potential

The likes of City Chelsea and co will be throwing around big money soon for instant success possibly more than ever with the crazy season and influx of big name managers so maybe now would be a good time to pick off some good young talent

Edited by EFC-Paul

Oh right.

As you questioned if no one watches domestic football anymore...I don't. Don't have time to be sat around watching footy all the time. Dunno how some of you guys fit in so much footy watching to be honest.

You've got my ears though nogs...who else should we be looking at from the lower leagues/domestic game?

To be honest, aside from watching Everton, I watch League 1 because my mrs is a Blades fan, Championship when I can and a bit of Spanish football on Sunday nights. Not like I watch way more than average.

Gray is the stand-out forward I've seen outside the Prem. Sheff Utd also have a young winger called Che Adams they plucked out of non-league. Saw him come off the bench against Spurs in a cup game and nearly turn the tie around, scored two as I remember. Fast as fuck, direct, skilfull, can finish. Think he's still only 19, raw but looks a real prospect. Oh and his middle name is Everton...

To be honest, aside from watching Everton, I watch League 1 because my mrs is a Blades fan, Championship when I can and a bit of Spanish football on Sunday nights. Not like I watch way more than average.

Gray is the stand-out forward I've seen outside the Prem. Sheff Utd also have a young winger called Che Adams they plucked out of non-league. Saw him come off the bench against Spurs in a cup game and nearly turn the tie around, scored two as I remember. Fast as fuck, direct, skilfull, can finish. Think he's still only 19, raw but looks a real prospect. Oh and his middle name is Everton...

I have heard of that Gray lad.

I'm all for digging around the lower leagues. I think there is some talent there and we just don't give it enough chance. With the right attitude and work ethic, a lot of those lads can make it. Plenty of Vardy 's and Coleman 's out there.

Problem is, there is almost a snobbery amongst Premier League fans. 'Foreign' always gets fans excited. As does spending money. Taking chances on lower league players at a cheap rate doesn't excite as much!

Guest rusty747

I am not joking when I say that if Barkley doesn't up his game and decision making then Tom Davies will have his place in both the Everton and England teams!