IGNORED

You must leave your country, where would you live?

On a trip to Suriname, I asked the CEO of the company I was visiting about the wildlife. "Not an issue," he said.

Later in the conversation, he mentioned how he'd lost one of his dogs earlier in the week. "The wife left the door open while carrying in the shopping, the dog ran out, and one of the anacondas got him." Not an issue, he said.

His favorite weekend pastime was sitting in a boat while fishing for flat fish on the local lake. "But you have to reel them in really fast, otherwise the piranhas will get them." Not an issue, he said.

Sorry to digress but Steve's post reminded me of this.

In 1969 I was Computer Manager for a Caterpillar Dealer in the UK. In 1969 I attended a computer seminar run by Caterpillar in Geneva and attended by Dealer representatives from across the world. Most of the discussion related to 'on-line' systems which were then at an embryonic stage. Power of 'mainframes' and speed of telephone lines etc., The representative of the Cat Dealer in Brazil got up and told us about how they put one of their remote depot's on-line to the main depot. As there was no telephone line available, they had to put in their own telephone line through 500 miles of jungle. Put everyone's problems into perspective!

• 2 months later...

Is there a place where English is the primary language and they drive on the right side of the road? If so, there. Failing that likely England or Down Under. Language, culture, etc that is most similar to the US. If it's for retirement, I'll take Belize