IGNORED

Rate our 2016 Transfer Window (and TDD)

Lowensda

I think this transfer deadline day obsession is ridiculous myself. When someone is taking their coaching badges is there a unit on how best to spend money? I doubt it.

Koeman et al are "coaches" and highly paid ones at that so take the guys we have and make them better individually and collectively please Ron, it's your job. Early signs are good, I'm not remotely depressed about yesterday.

Agreed with all of this.

The entire thing is like one big dawg and pony show though - the last minute procrastination aspect is fucking bizarre and plays out in such a half-assed way if you ask me. Yet its kind of exciting watching it live on the telly ;)

Agreed with all of this.

The entire thing is like one big dawg and pony show though - the last minute procrastination aspect is fucking bizarre and plays out in such a half-assed way if you ask me. Yet its kind of exciting watching it live on the telly ;)

The biggest winners on TDD will always be the agents who using a willing press to feed rumors for leverage, pressure and improved contracts and offers for the clients - and thereby their own pockets.

It's easy for a team like United to get their business done early because everyone wants to go there. Mourihno essentially found his pick of the litter and got what he wanted. Done and dusted.

It takes us longer because it takes time to negotiate and we're not always going to get our first choice, or even our second or third choices. We're linked with everyone because we have gaps we need to fill and run through multiple options looking for a. someone we rate b. someone who will leave their current club c. someone the club will allow to move, and d. someone who either buys into our ambition or doesn't require immediate european play.

It's easy for a team like United to get their business done early because everyone wants to go there. Mourihno essentially found his pick of the litter and got what he wanted. Done and dusted.

It takes us longer because it takes time to negotiate and we're not always going to get our first choice, or even our second or third choices. We're linked with everyone because we have gaps we need to fill and run through multiple options looking for a. someone we rate b. someone who will leave their current club c. someone the club will allow to move, and d. someone who either buys into our ambition or doesn't require immediate european play.

spot on. if RK can get the boys playing back to european levels we will be a much better prospect for players. Even Europa league would be beneficial.

spot on. if RK can get the boys playing back to european levels we will be a much better prospect for players. Even Europa league would be beneficial.

And yet if/when we get EL football people will moan like fuck about it, say they'd rather we weren't in it! Not saying you'll say that (I have no idea if you were against us being in it last time), it just annoys the fuck out of me and you brought it up. :shaking fist: :rofl:

And yet if/when we get EL football people will moan like fuck about it, say they'd rather we weren't in it! Not saying you'll say that (I have no idea if you were against us being in it last time), it just annoys the fuck out of me and you brought it up. :shaking fist: :rofl:

I love Europa so it wasn't me. I don't get that either, like west ham treating it bad this year and being knocked out by a Romanian side. What a joke.

Now that we McCarthy is out we are now down to our only 2 genuine PL quality central midfielders. We don't really want Barry to be playing twice a week which means Davies probably comes in (hopefully ahead of Gibson & Cleverly). The bonus is that it will help Davies development but it leaves us short of quality in a key position.

Now that we McCarthy is out we are now down to our only 2 genuine PL quality central midfielders. We don't really want Barry to be playing twice a week which means Davies probably comes in (hopefully ahead of Gibson & Cleverly). The bonus is that it will help Davies development but it leaves us short of quality in a key position.

We won't be playing twice a week other than occasionally if we progress in the League Cup so he won't have to :mellow:.

Guest rusty747

If Tom Davies plays I am sure he will contribute and grow into a special player. The potential is obviously there and he is a sound, down to earth lad by all accounts so would therefore be very receptive to advice on the pitch.

I would obviously prefer Jimmy Mac to be available but this could just be the opportunity that Tom needs.

We won't be playing twice a week other than occasionally if we progress in the League Cup so he won't have to :mellow:.

That's my point... I don't know when the matches are schedule for in truth but McCarthy will be out for at least 2 months I would have thought and Besic is out until the new year. At a guess I would say we will have 4 weeks of midweek games?

(Actually I have just checked and it's only the EFL cup that is being played midweek until the 14th Dec)

Well lads, quite a strange one really.

No doubt Williams is an excellent player, feel he will strengthen the squad, albeit with less sustainability in the medium term given he's 32 but didn't show many signs of ageing last season. Seems Koeman wants proven reliabiliy. It doesn't surprise me because ultimately if he's to improve his stock as a manager, by getting guaranteed better results than last season, even if he only stays at the club for two years, his focus will be on proven success, not sustainability.

The others seem decent, Gueye, Bolasie, can't knock Bolasie from last season was a handful! I really rate him and I think he will be very good for you. Still do not rate Stekkers from his time with us but hey, maybe he'll rediscover his form with you lot....like he has already tried with Monaco and Saints but still...

Holding onto Lukaku was a great achievement but I still feel like your window was a bit underwhelming, excuse the directness.

It was banded around that one of the key reasons Koeman left us for you was about money, since you had a new owner, and Saints financial power was never going to match Moshiri. The Liebherr's are great but giving a pot of 50m without sales every window is just not something they are going to do. It ties into strategy/Saints ambition because for Koeman he sees another window where the owners aren't ready to commit the big bucks and cement a top 8 place. Instead we sell three quality players and bring in young tots to replace them.

In any case, I'm really surprised that Everton didn't spend more, not that it's all about money, but according to what's out there on transfer fees, seems you could have spent 45m and us 44m. Not that different, and I would have expected you to blast us out the water. When Everton were linked with Axel Witsel and the like, I figured it made sense that Koeman went. Top quality signings, clear strategy of not just keeping the ship afloat like Martinez did but rather pushing on and likely finishing top 6.

The thing is that four or five years ago that would have been a solid transfer window for you. But let's not look at your signings in isolation. Leicester spent 70m this window, and Watford for Pete's sake spent 50m. I'm not saying we've got it right by the way, I think Southampton will finish 10th or thereabouts. But I wonder if Everton's window has really given the push that you needed to finish top 6 or so again. I'm not sure it has, sorry to say!

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Saints will be alright, main thing for us is that we've always had a focus on youth/academy prospects. Academy hasn't been so successful last few years, and those that have come through (Shaw, Chambers, Lallana) we've sold. So we've brought youth in, Hojbjerg is 21 and Redmond and Boufal both 22. We have now the second youngest squad in the league, and that says a lot. We want to go back to the 'Saints Way' (whatever that means) of developing young players and we've got a manager who reflects that now. Bear in mind last two seasons Koeman hardly played any youth and publically said the academy wasn't up to scratch - in fairness he was probably right..

Well lads, quite a strange one really.

No doubt Williams is an excellent player, feel he will strengthen the squad, albeit with less sustainability in the medium term given he's 32 but didn't show many signs of ageing last season. Seems Koeman wants proven reliabiliy. It doesn't surprise me because ultimately if he's to improve his stock as a manager, by getting guaranteed better results than last season, even if he only stays at the club for two years, his focus will be on proven success, not sustainability.

The others seem decent, Gueye, Bolasie, can't knock Bolasie from last season was a handful! I really rate him and I think he will be very good for you. Still do not rate Stekkers from his time with us but hey, maybe he'll rediscover his form with you lot....like he has already tried with Monaco and Saints but still...

Holding onto Lukaku was a great achievement but I still feel like your window was a bit underwhelming, excuse the directness.

It was banded around that one of the key reasons Koeman left us for you was about money, since you had a new owner, and Saints financial power was never going to match Moshiri. The Liebherr's are great but giving a pot of 50m without sales every window is just not something they are going to do. It ties into strategy/Saints ambition because for Koeman he sees another window where the owners aren't ready to commit the big bucks and cement a top 8 place. Instead we sell three quality players and bring in young tots to replace them.

In any case, I'm really surprised that Everton didn't spend more, not that it's all about money, but according to what's out there on transfer fees, seems you could have spent 45m and us 44m. Not that different, and I would have expected you to blast us out the water. When Everton were linked with Axel Witsel and the like, I figured it made sense that Koeman went. Top quality signings, clear strategy of not just keeping the ship afloat like Martinez did but rather pushing on and likely finishing top 6.

The thing is that four or five years ago that would have been a solid transfer window for you. But let's not look at your signings in isolation. Leicester spent 70m this window, and Watford for Pete's sake spent 50m. I'm not saying we've got it right by the way, I think Southampton will finish 10th or thereabouts. But I wonder if Everton's window has really given the push that you needed to finish top 6 or so again. I'm not sure it has, sorry to say!

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Saints will be alright, main thing for us is that we've always had a focus on youth/academy prospects. Academy hasn't been so successful last few years, and those that have come through (Shaw, Chambers, Lallana) we've sold. So we've brought youth in, Hojbjerg is 21 and Redmond and Boufal both 22. We have now the second youngest squad in the league, and that says a lot. We want to go back to the 'Saints Way' (whatever that means) of developing young players and we've got a manager who reflects that now. Bear in mind last two seasons Koeman hardly played any youth and publically said the academy wasn't up to scratch - in fairness he was probably right..

Good post and I would completely agree. I work down your way and one of the Saints fans there said exactly the same thing.

I think the difference with us is that if Keoman had really wanted to keep Stones he probably could have but given the money and that he wasn't looking the best last year or in pre season, it probably made sense to do the deal and bring in proven quality which we have done with Williams (especially as we liked physicality and leadership). Barkley, Mirallas, Lukaku have all stayed whereas if the former and latter had been with Saints, there is a good chance that they would have moved on by now.

It will be interesting to see how you do under Puel as by all accounts you have been a little underwhelming, even though you have largely dictated games without putting the ball in the back of the net. I think you have had a solid window, as you always do, and our games will be a good contest as usual!