IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

I'd have him on the back of: 1) he is an improvement on Kone, 2) We need an experienced "second fiddle" striker 3) what he could pass on to all the players, not just strikers is invaluable.

Wages and fee will be a major stumbling block.

p.s. yes I fully expect if we go for him it will be on the back of telling him he is second choice to Rom.

I'd have him on the back of: 1) he is an improvement on Kone, 2) We need an experienced "second fiddle" striker 3) what he could pass on to all the players, not just strikers is invaluable.

Wages and fee will be a major stumbling block.

p.s. yes I fully expect if we go for him it will be on the back of telling him he is second choice to Rom.

I'd be pretty upset if he came here and became our highest earner.

Guest rusty747

Don't blame him for going to Man U when he did but he really couldn't improve our side now. Best he could do is add a little strength in depth and I don't think he would settle for that - or the salary that would go with it.

I think he will see out the season at Man U, try to break the England appearances record, then chase the $ in China.

Edited by rusty747

I don't want him here.

If he hadn't come through our academy there would be barely anyone even suggesting we should try and tempt him to sign for us.

He's better than China though, and even though China would pay him a hell of a lot more he should go to the MLS.

My thoughts. I would love to seem him in MLS (obviously), but not sold on him at Everton. Like I said, a move here would be nothing but nostalgia.

Would you not say China and the MLS are the same? They both have a similar transfer policy but China have more money to throw at it.

Anyway I'd have to say on experience of winning cups etc alone I'd take him for a few seasons, I think he would be more than a bench warmer and our younger players would learn how to cope with big games from him. That said I wouldn't break the bank to get him.

If he came to Everton the problem would be that he is given special treatment which could have an adverse effect on the rest of the squad. This would be exacerbated by the fact that he would be only a fringe player. He is no longer good enough to hold down a regular place in the team. The fact that he is still in the England squad is a perfect example. He should have been dropped two or three years ago.

If he came to Everton the problem would be that he is given special treatment which could have an adverse effect on the rest of the squad. This would be exacerbated by the fact that he would be only a fringe player. He is no longer good enough to hold down a regular place in the team. The fact that he is still in the England squad is a perfect example. He should have been dropped two or three years ago.

all true but the experience of a title winner is a great reason to have him around the group, especially with so many kids in the team. I also think, if he did take a massive cut in pay like I suggested, that'd make a huge difference because it would show them the club means more than making (even more) money

all true but the experience of a title winner is a great reason to have him around the group, especially with so many kids in the team. I also think, if he did take a massive cut in pay like I suggested, that'd make a huge difference because it would show them the club means more than making (even more) money

It would definitely show that he doesn't care about the money and is a true Evertonian, but I don't think he'll add much besides experience, and he won't want to sit on the bench, IMO.

He still plays regularly for Man U, he can replace Barry in a heart beat.

He's on of thos players that is easy to criticise because he isn't doing something spectacular every game... Barkley....

But the reality is that he is still an excellent player that would improve our team... even now.

He still plays regularly for Man U, he can replace Barry in a heart beat.

He's on of thos players that is easy to criticise because he isn't doing something spectacular every game... Barkley....

But the reality is that he is still an excellent player that would improve our team... even now.

Barry? The CDM?

Barry? The CDM?

i can see that logic to be honest. Don't agree with it but there is a logic there.

Experience is so underestimated. Barry is an excellent example. Many thought he was past it; why are we signing this 'oap'. His experience had helped McCarthy and I'm sure Davies and the other youth candidates. Don't look at the individual and what he brings. Rather, look at the knock-on effect. Football is much more complicated than the individual.

Edited by Matt

Barry? The CDM?

Yes I think he would do a great job there.

Fights for the team he supports and wants to try to leave a legacy, defensively he reminds me of Beckham.

His passing range is 100% better than most realise.

He can get forward and provide moments of magic.

I know it's not everyone's choice or opinion, but I think he is underrated in his ability in other areas.

And again.... Barkley and Rooney working together on the training ground

i can see that logic to be honest. Don't agree with it but there is a logic there.

Experience is so underestimated. Barry is an excellent example. Many thought he was past it; why are we signing this 'oap'. His experience had helped McCarthy and I'm sure Davies and the other youth candidates. Don't look at the individual and what he brings. Rather, look at the knock-on effect. Football is much more complicated than the individual.

Last few sentences hit it on the head.

Last few sentences hit it on the head.

I get what y'all are saying, but we already have so much depth in that position: Gueye, Morgan, Davies, Besic, McCarthy...

Theoretically, whose spot does he take? He's not going to come to play second fiddle.

We need a senior striker with Lookman, Calvert Lewin and hopefully others coming through. Lukaku needs a partner when we're playing 2 up top - Mirallas is good but nowhere near as good as Rooney plus Rooney could play as a lone striker to take some of the load off Lukaku.

I'd have him in a heartbeat if the deal's right for us. Commercially it will make sense anyway - maybe this is where the compromise on wages could come. With a few senior figures gone or going it also makes sense.

It's been a long standing issue - our lack of leaders. Rooney's desire and experience of winning could help massively as we look to make that next step up. We will spend a lot next summer - this may bring in big characters and probably egos... Rooney has done it all and with the support of Coleman, Baines, Williams, Barry you'd hope there's enough players who demand the respect there.

If he came on a, say 25k, contract, I'd have him in a heartbeat because it'd show that he's here for the club. The benefits of having him are enormous but he has to show willing and i think that's the best way to do so.

Guaranteed 300k/week for several more years - or 25k/week for a little nostalgia and bench-warming. Hmm...tough one, that.