IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I like the the bit further down "calling for a debate on parliaments moral standards". :rofl:

He's resigned👍

I've never been in a by-election before, going to be fun!

Tories protecting a 24,000 majority so they're not going to lose the seat, but hopefully a dent can be put in it!

In his favour, at least he's been totally honest about it (although the "website with a similar name to one about tractors" is a stretch), many could learn lessons from that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61284686

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to take credit for finally doing what opposition parties have been urging them to do for months, though it's not a "windfall tax," it's an “energy profits levy" (in the same way the Russian invasion is a "special military operation" rather than an invasion). And it comes the day after the Gray report, timing of no coincidence at all.

Johnson looks like an old, beaten man; really coming round to the wish that he stays on because he'll be unelectable by 2024.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-61593384

On 30/04/2022 at 17:07, MikeO said:

I've never been in a by-election before, going to be fun!

Tories protecting a 24,000 majority so they're not going to lose the seat, but hopefully a dent can be put in it!

Getting bombarded with stuff from the Lib Dems and Tories, virtually nothing from Labour (who came second at the GE), I think they probably know they can't win, but the Lib Dems just might.

Just over three weeks away, going to be fun!

25 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Vote MikeO, the People's Party.

Back in the dim distant past of my teenage years, there was guy in my local who (inspired by the monster raving loonies) formed the All Night Party, several candidates stood in local elections....I voted for them👍

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

Getting bombarded with stuff from the Lib Dems and Tories, virtually nothing from Labour (who came second at the GE), I think they probably know they can't win, but the Lib Dems just might.

That could be because Labour know they have little chance and don’t wish to divide the vote against the Tories which could help them secure the seat, well I hope that’s the case a win for the LibDems would be a win for all non Tories. 

On 31/05/2022 at 13:49, MikeO said:

There was nothing but Tory propaganda on the Wirral a few months ago. Didn't hear a peep from anyone else 

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Confidence in Johnson vote happening now, he'll win it but it'll be interesting to see how many vote against him; I'm hoping for 100+👍

I don’t agree with the secret ballot rule MPs need be accountable to their constituents for the way they vote, after all it shouldn’t be their personal opinion they should vote the way the majority of constituents who have been bothered to  make contact have requested how they feel they should vote. 

22 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I don’t agree with the secret ballot rule MPs need be accountable to their constituents for the way they vote, after all it shouldn’t be their personal opinion they should vote the way the majority of constituents who have been bothered to  make contact have requested how they feel they should vote. 

Constituents vote for an MP to represent them, those with a Tory MP are hamstrung by Tory party rules (even though many publicly say what they've done) when challenges happen.

Nadine Dorries today (how in the world is this woman in a position of power?) saying the Tory party shouldn't overturn the views of 14m voters; none of those people (Uxbridge aside) voted for the PM, they voted for their local MP. That's the system, flawed as it is.